Monday 29 July 2024

We're Not Going Back...

Picture the scene: It was the 20th October 2022. I was on the last day of an East Lothian mini-break. The plan was to have lunch, then get the train into Edinburgh for one last hurrah. Fate, however, had other plans. One pinging BBC News alert later, and everything changed. Liz Truss was set to resign! I got a cup of tea, put the telly on, and for the rest of the day, let Sky News do its work.

The only photo I 
took on 20.10.22. 
It was 8.05am and 
this is the view from 
the front door. I didn't 
even leave the Airbnb.
The moral of the story? I mean, it SHOULD be, 'Don't waste time on political nonsense when you're on holiday.' That's the clear message to take. How about 'Don't sacrifice a day in beautiful Edinburgh while you wait for a political nomark to be handed an arsekicking?' Yeah, yeah, all that's valid. But if the situation happened again? Yeah, sorry but I'd do the same. I buzzed off the disintegration of the Truss government and the fact her nonsense was over. I can't imagine walking away if events repeated themselves. Edinburgh or no Edinburgh, it's just the way I roll.

So why bring this up now? Well, a similar situation is about to occur. In a few short months, I'll be enjoying a European city break at the exact same time as the Tory leadership contest results are announced. Will I be giving up a day of sightseeing and cultural entertainments to watch that? NO. OBVIOUSLY NOT. I'm not deranged! But as well as that, in the same week, it's the US election. Will I give up a day of sightseeing and cultural entertainments to watch that? YES YES YES. A million times YES. I plan to sit in my hotel, pull an all-nighter, and watch my absolute Queen, Kamala Harris, beat the horror show of a man that supports relegating women to second class citizens under the law. I want to watch her hand Project 2025 back to its cheerleaders, with a resounding rejection of its hatred. I want to see the US choose, not just sanity, but inspirational leadership and a future brimming with positivity. And then of course, I want to witness the multiple shattered glass ceilings; of electing a president who is the first Black, South Asian, woman. Can you imagine how historic a moment that will be? Bring. It. On. The Tory leadership contest, and my silly little holiday, will pale into insignificance compared to all that.

A White man, with short mousey hair, in a light brown t shirt is talking to someone off camera. He says, 'I feel like we need a theme.'
Writing News
Last week I worked on the twelve chapter plans I need to create the narrative of Book Five. It's all ticking along. My main issue this week is, I need to find the overall theme of the story. The first book was about Leeza accepting that change is a natural part of life. The second book was about Leeza realising she doesn't need to be uber-talented, or a clever clogs at school - simply being kind is enough. The third book? I'm not sure yet. But once I know that, the chapter plans will flow more easily.

Kamala Harris, wearing smart clothes, is with her husband Doug Emhoff, and walks past the camera dancing, waving her arms in the air, and says, 'I believe that we will win.'
Culture
I've been filling my downtime on YouTube, watching Kamala Harris speeches and interviews. You want goosebumps? Try this. In semi-related news, my brother-in-law put me onto The Rest is History podcast. It's accompanied me on my daily walks for the last few months. No matter what period of history you might be into, they've got it covered. I recently listened to an in-depth breakdown of the JFK assassination, and this week started an episode on the shooting of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Fascinating stuff all.

Me, with wet hair (blonde fringe and brown everywhere else).I'm wearing a black shirt with small white dots, and holding a coupe style champagne class. It's filled with pinky brown slushy ice. My finger nails are painted black and I have silver rings.
Wet hair, don't care. 
Cherry coke vodka slush.
Food and Drink
I had friends round on Friday so panicked and cooked a load of pizzas and put out a cheese board. None of them are lactose intolerant AFAIK so it all worked out. Still, it wasn't anything new. I'm well-used to pizzas and cheeseboards. Nothing innovative there. But something new and exciting I found last week (Via Insta) is this...  
  • Make a tray of cherry coke ice cubes.
  • Whizz them up with a handful of frozen cherries.
  • Add a shot of vodka. 
It is the most beautiful, refreshing, summery, adult Slush Puppy you could ever imagine. It's also hugely adaptable. Frozen Fanta, tangerine segments and gin? Frozen Seven-Up, lime flesh, and lager? The possibilities are endless.

Out and About
I went to the pub last week. The plan was to walk there and back, with a few gentle afternoon beers in-between. The reality was a hot and sticky walk there, some speedily-drunk, cooling-down-on-a-hot-day beers once I arrived, and because the heavens opened and torrential rain ensued mid-sesh, a taxi back. Still, I went to the pub. Win.

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, whoever you're doing it with, please do enjoy the July/August transition. 

Have a lovely week, folks 

No comments:

Post a Comment