Monday 5 August 2024

Have You Met My Inner Goddess?..

Calista Flockhart as Ally McBeal. She's looking off to the camera, with light brown hair in a straight, shoulder length bob. With camera trickery, in one second her face flushes red.
I couldn't find a GIF of Ally
and her Pips so here she
 is feeling embarrassed instead.
Do you remember the TV show, Ally McBeal? A nineties legal comedy drama
 about a ditzy lawyer trying to be her best self whilst  searching for Mr. Right? I'm not sure it'll have held up well and I don't want to ruin my memories by revisiting it. It was good at the time, let's leave it at that, yeah? Anyway, do you remember her Pips? When she needed to overcome her inner saboteur and feel supremely confident in her day to day life, Ally would imagine she had Gladys Knight's Pips standing behind her. Supporting her every move, backing her up, and singing harmonies to her melody. I thought it was an excellent conceit. I even tried it myself back then, although couldn't make it stick. As solitude is my preferred state, I'm not sure imagining a group of people singing behind me is quite the bolstering effect it initially sounds.

It's a head and shoulders photo of me, heavily filtered. I've got a gold face, hair, like a beautiful gilded sculpture. My cheek bones have been chiselled into high arcs, my eyes are wide and bright, I'm looking straight at the camera, facing the world with a strength and bravery. I'm an actual goddess!
Nicky Bond, 
pleased to meet you.
So why bring up a late nineties TV show today? Well, it's all Snapchat's fault. Last week I spent the day with my niece. She immediately recognised the app on my phone (she's 4, lolz) and wanted to go through the filters together. We laughed ourselves silly (true story) at the old woman and bald man versions of us, as well as the one with nuts in our mouths and squirrels crawling on our faces to get them. But then I spotted it. My absolute favourite picture of myself that I ever did see. Full disclosure: there's a filter on it. Can you tell? Honestly, I don't look exactly like this in real life. But even so, this picture is the nearest thing I've ever seen to my inner self. This is the way I assume I look to anyone who encounters me. This is how I feel when I do my laundry, sit at my desk, or slob out watching TV. Snapchat has nailed it perfectly, I'm an actual goddess! And now I've got a picture of my inner self, I can embody her even more. Head held high, golden hair swirling, facing everything thrown at me with strength and dignity. Isn't that amazing! 

You know what, though? For so long, I didn't need a picture to feel those things. It's just how I encouraged myself to feel. So if Snapchat hasn't got your inner goddess quite right yet, don't worry. You can still imagine the swirling tresses and kick-ass attitude. Or get yourself some Pips. Imagine your own backing singers, following you around when you do the big shop. Or anywhere you like! Whatever works for you to fully live as your authentic, marvellous self. Go on, do it!

The character of David Rose from Schitt's Creek. He's leaning up on one elbow on a bed, looking at something on a laptop. His face is excited and shocked and the caption says, 'I'm obsessed with this.'
Me on Mumsnet
Writing News
I'm trying to find answers to loads of little questions that have sprung up during the planning of the next Leeza McAuliffe book. One thing I needed to know was how much a school trip to Germany would cost. I know how much it was when I was eleven but - can you even believe it - that was thirty-four years ago. I imagine prices have changed since then. So I Googled, and in no time at all, found myself on Mumsnet. Being childfree and unencumbered with the need to chat to other parents on the regular, means I've never spent time on that particular website. But what an eye opener it was. First off, I found a thread that answered my question straight away. How fortuitous! The original poster was asking whether £800 was a bit pricy for week in Germany for her Y8 kid. There were two, maybe three more comments that focused on answering the question, giving me a good sense of what's considered a reasonable price. But then I kept scrolling. After the sensible, informative start, the whole thing descended into open warfare. Everyone had opinions about all sorts of things, barely relating to the topic in hand. Some people were massive snobs and others buzzed off riling up the ones that took everything too seriously. The convo quickly got into private school versus state education. There was also some spirited debate about whether children on a school trip needed room service. One person was insistent that they did. The upshot was, I got the answer to my initial question, plus some excellent ideas for comical lines that I can make other characters say. Thanks Mumsnet. I'll definitely use you again.

Dustin Hoffman, in drag as Dorothy Michaels from the film Tootsie. She is holding her hand to her heart and saying, 'I said GOOD DAY SIR!'
Culture
I rewatched Tootsie the other night. Considering it's from 1982, it's held up pretty well. It constantly satirises sexism and misogyny, and the instances of homophobia and transphobia come off as the flaws of small-minded characters rather than the prevailing attitude. Rewatching it reminded me of the existence of this clip of Dustin Hoffman. On the one hand, he makes a valid point (thinking back to my inner goddess with gold hair, and all that) but on the other, I struggle to watch it without a huge eye roll about his silly earnestness. Oh, you're just realising you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, are you? Big whoop! Anyway, see what you think.

A view of my legs, resting on a beer cooler in front of my garden seat. The grass of the garden is blurrily visible in the distance, whilst the focus is on my legs. They're wearing red creased PJ trousers with white reindeers on them. My feet have on black trainers. There's a cushion across my lap which is covered in a cover that has many faces of Angela Lansbury, and my hand is resting on it holding a glass of red wine.
May 2020.
Wine, creased PJ bottoms, 
and an Angela Lansbury cushion.
A lockdown Saturday night.
Food and Drink
My sister stayed at mine on Tuesday so we ate tea outside. It really does give me lockdown memories when I do that. 2020's Saturday nights were all about outdoor teas. Mainly so I could pretend I was in a beer garden or on an outdoor terrace abroad. But back to reality. We had freshly-dug potatoes from the garden, BBQed veggie burgers, and some tokenistic salad. Oh, and a bottle of Kylie's pink fizzy wine. Plus, my niece had her first Cornetto. A true milestone for any four year old. For a Tuesday night, it was all surprisingly lovely. 

Out and About
I caught up with selected siblings, one sibling-in-law, and both parents over the weekend, when we had a couple of days in mid-Wales. I managed a few decent seaside walks, ate and drank well, and have come back home all refreshed and rejuvenated. How marvellous!

Right, we're knee-deep into the summer now. If you're loving it, good for you. Enjoy every moment and I hope it feels like forever. If, like me, you're fed up of being in a daily grumpy sweat, hold on! It'll be over before you know it. I'm longingly stroking the arms of jumpers, every time I open my wardrobe door. It's coming. Keep the faith, we're nearly there, you got this...

...have a lovely week, folks 

No comments:

Post a Comment