Monday 22 July 2024

Ready, Steady, Go...

And we're back!. After six weeks of downtime, I'm back at my desk, surrounded by notebooks, and raring to write Book 5. 

Moira Rose from Schitt's Creek is lying on a bed, fully dressed, and idly moving a feather duster with her hand. She says, 'And we're back.'
I'll get to the specifics in the next section, don't you worry about that. But first, let's gather ourselves. This is a new start... literally a fresh page. My month-and-a-bit off, has done wonders for my brain. I've not thought about characters, plots, or ways to phrase what I mean, for ages. My head has been properly emptied. Hurrah.

Except of course that's not true. I've simply filled it with other stuff. I got to obsess over General Election data and stay up all night to cross off constituencies as they were announced. I added several more weekly podcasts to my listening schedule. (Hello Quiet Riot for one). I continue to devour the minutiae of US politics, and I also read some books that have long been on my TBR list. My head got filled with all sorts of other stuff; I was just able to give it my full attention. 

Now it stops. It's back to the grindstone and that's probably a good thing. You can only tit around for so long before you have to get some structure back. Last week, I was at my desk by 9.30am each day. I cracked on, pausing only for teas and lunch, and then finished around 3.30pm. There's no way I'll keep this up every day but for now, we're off!

On a wooden desk, there is a close up of papers and notebooks. An A4 page has the title 'Initial Ideas for Leeza McAuliffe Book 3'. There are notes written underneath but they are mostly obscured by a small orange notebook , two pens, some green and pink notecards, and the print out of a calendar. The month January can be seen.
This is where the
 magic happens
Writing News
So, what have I been doing at my desk every day? Well, it's the planning and research phase. If you want to revisit my Writing Cycle breakdown, click here. Right now I'm at the second stage, aka Plan Your Ass Off. That's right, that's what I've been doing all week - planning my ass off. You may remember some months ago, I shared that I'd had some ideas for the next book, and had spent a day writing them on cards and sticking them to a board? Yeah? No? Maybe? Well that board is still here, and those ideas are still useful. What I did last week, was break them down into chronological bullet points. I grouped them into chapters (at the time of writing I'm up to Chapter Six) and made sure there's enough plot to sustain a whole chapter. I also worked out small but important details. The names of new characters for example. On Thursday, into the search bar, I typed, Female Names UK 1935. I then spent time working through the list, trying to find the perfect one for the character of a great-aunt. In the end I got it. It wasn't even on the list, but the list inspired me. From the chosen name, I also fleshed out some more details about the great-aunt. All from finding out her name. Planning and research: it takes time but it's so much fun!

The character of Lesley Knope is dressing professional clothes - a suit jacket is visible - and is standing on the raised platform of some children's play equipment in a park. She's looking down at the crowds and says, 'We did it'. The camera pans down to the people she is addressing, and there's just a handful of people. It focuses on one girl, about 12, who is clapping half-heartedly.
Lesley Knope from
Parks and Rec
Culture
I think as an antidote to the horrors of the RNC coverage and the prospect of Project 2025, (let's go President Harris!) I began a rewatch of Park and Recreation. Lesley Knope and her local government colleagues are pure light relief. I'd been searching for something with multiple short episodes to keep me going after The Office rewatch finished. This is filling that space, admirably. 

A white plate, with an open sandwich on it. The topping is chopped egg, with a row of alternate sliced cucumber and radish lying across. There is some rocket sticking out from underneath the egg, and a bit of spare rocket on the side of the plate.
Mmmm
Food and Drink
Since my Oslo trip, I've been eating lots of open sandwiches and prawns. Tbf, this isn't a million miles away from what I'd eat without going to Norway. The only thing I'm missing is really good rye bread. All the supermarkets have left me hanging so I'll have to find a proper bakery. No matter, basic granary did the job for the sandwich in the picture. Egg, anchovies, mayo, and paprika, with chopped rocket, and pickled cucumbers with radish. I also ate lots of Smash in Oslo. Nope, not the instant potato, but the chocolate covered salty corn snack. It's fit, and never gets sickly. One bag will last mere seconds. If you want to try for yourself, you can get it here.

There's a bright blue cloudless sky, pale brown sand, and the shadow of the promenade at the bottom of the pic. The shadow of the photographer (me) is standing on the prom. In the distance, on the horizon, a white cruise liner is visible.
Crosby, 7am
Monday morning
Out and About
The early morning walking habit has resumed. And oooh, isn't it nicer with milder weather. I've got up and walked in all sorts of rain, fog, and wind until now. Bright mornings with blue skies have been glorious. And even when the day becomes sweaty and hot, it's never the case first thing. This week I've done Crosby beach, Sefton Park, and Victoria Park. Good times.

Because of the end of my holiday and a new writing start, it feels like the first week of September. Hopefully I'll get another new-start-boost in a couple of months when the schools go back. For now, let's crack on with our routines and keep going, with the satisfaction of knowing we're doing our best.

Have a lovely week, folks

No comments:

Post a Comment