Monday 2 January 2023

Vague Plans, Zero Resolutions...

Jennifer Coolidge from White Lotus is standing on a boat, raising a glass of champagne. The caption says, 'Wee Hee!'
Happy New year, gang!
And so it begins. Another year's upon us and a seasonal reset takes place. I used to hate this time of year. When I was a kid it meant back to school blues. When I was a teacher it meant back to school blues. Now, January brings a new start and renewed focus. No blues in sight. Marvellous.
 
So what's the focus for the year? Well in a slight tweak of format, this post won't be an update of the week just gone. We can all imagine what that would've entailed. Cheese, booze, bloating, and siblings. In that order. So this week, just for funsies, I'm going to use the usual subheadings, but to share what I hope to accomplish in 2023. Don't think of these as resolutions. Resolutions are totally stupid-dupid. Why set yourself up for an overwhelming sense of failure come mid-January? No one needs that shit. Instead, consider these as vague manifestations; my generally intended direction of travel. What's the focus for the year, you say? Well read on and see what I'm mostly aiming for. 

Kermit the Frog, is madly typing on an old fashioned typewriter.
Writing 
I'm going to edit the hell out of the latest manuscript. That's what. I'd love for it to be published in October but it's more likely going to be Spring 2024. No matter. It'll keep me busy this year. After a decent break from looking at it constantly, I can't wait to dive back in. 

Sam Ryder performing at the 2022 Eurovision. His head's thrown back, he's singing his heart out, he looks ecstatically deranged.
A decent depiction of the
inside of my head whenever
I think of May 13th.
Culture
I *may* have mentioned this before, but 2023 is the year Eurovision comes to Liverpool. Whether I manage to get tickets or not, I'll be involved. I'm clearing the diary for the week, getting the train into town every day, and treating it as a European city break. It'll be epic. I know Liverpool will rise to the occasion and I know it's a once in a life time experience. To have all the fun of the fair whilst sleeping in my own bed is not something I'm taking for granted. I'm looking forward to widening my appreciation of Ukrainian culture, feeling proud of my city, and getting swept up in the mad joy of the shebang. Bring. It. On. 

A side plate, with a small bowl of gravy. A bread roll is next to it, filled with stuff that is unclear.
  • Hollow out a bread roll
  • Fill one side with roasties
  • Fill one side with stuffing
  • Slather on the cranberry
  • Add dippy gravy
  • Voila!
Food and Drink
There was a point on 23rd December when I had to make an emergency shop for Rennies, peppermint tea, and a ginger-based stirfry. Yep, pre-Christmas indigestion was a new phenomenon. Now I've mostly cleared the fridge of beige food, (check out my leftovers photo - it's the shiz!) it's time to reintroduce veggies into my life. I've batch-cooked a load of Stilton and broccoli soup. I'm going to do the same with veggie chilli. My recent Scottish jaunt has prompted me to keep the ingredients to Cullen Skink handy at all times, and I'm looking forward to making my annual veggie haggis in time for Burns night. Goodbye party food and fizzy wine. See you next time. 

A woman is sitting on a plane, looking irritated. Next to her, a child is repeatedly banging a drum.
I'm pretty sure I've sat
next to this kid before.
Out and About
I haven't left the country since 2019. Obvs the pandemic played a large part in this. Plus my utter mortification at the UK government behaving like the stupidest bully on the playground, running off with the ball, only for the ball to be replaced for the rest of the class, leaving the bully alone with a spare ball and no one to play with. (What's that? A waffly, laboured Brexit metaphor? Moi?) And if that wasn't enough, the perimenopausal rollercoaster of recent years, has meant I've simply not had the mental energy, nor inclination, to plan a holiday. But now it's all change. Literally. My HRT is kicking in and I'm back in the game! Woohoo. I'm ready to make a plan. What that exact plan will be, is unclear right now. But at some point this year, I'd quite like some new travel experiences. Just putting it out there for now. Thanks awfully. 

So all that's left to say is, 'Welcome to 2023!' I hope it's showing some promise. Can you work with it? Is it a team player? I do hope so. And if it's arrived with a chippy attitude and needs its edges knocking off, don't worry. It's nothing you haven't seen before. You'll be showing it who's boss in no time. You've got this. 

Have a lovely week, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment