Monday 30 January 2023

Fractions, Pizzazz, and a Touch of Sally Albright...

A pizza is being sliced equally in the open kitchen of a pizza restaurant.
Fractions for everyone!
If you love a fraction -
 and who doesn't enjoy pizza and cake - then you'll be excited to hear we've boxed off a twelfth of 2023. It took the blink of an eye, didn't it? Time flies when you're having fun. It goes just as fast when you're not, but let's not get bogged down by details. Did we make the most of the first twelfth of the year? Did we do all the things we said we'd do, after Christmas? Nah, we're not Wonder Woman! I'm using the royal 'we' there although I like to pretend that I too am capable of feats of strength and the righting of wrongs. But look, we've got another twelfth coming up. Hey there, February! We can see you! And look, this next twelfth might see us being strong and brilliant. But we might end up trying our best and being bang-average. Or - dare I say it - a little bit crap. That's fine. It's what happens now and then. We'll royally crack on regardless. 

A dark night, a man walking towards the camera, and seconds in, the whole place explodes in a flash of flames.
The first sentence of
Chapter One, anyone?
Writing News
A woman from my writing group made me think. Whilst referring to her own WIP, she said how she'd learnt from me that the most dramatic event in the story doesn't have to happen at the start; it's good to have something to build towards, and have the drama spaced out. (I've paraphrased but that was the gist.) I panicked, of course. Don't go copying me, I've no idea what I'm doing! But it was nice to hear. I'm always trying to inject extra pizzazz into my opening paragraphs once they've been written. I often feel I start too tame, so try to oomph it up in the edit, hoping to hook future readers immediately. But the stories I love to read, don't do that. I mean, they hook me in, natch, but they don't need massive explosions, blazing rows, or grisly deaths to get me interested. I just want to like/be intrigued by the characters and situations. Anyway, that's what I pondered this week as I read back over a 12,000 word chunk using my metaphorical red pen (delete button) and a critical eye (my actual eyes.)


Joel Dommett high fives the character of Traffic Cone on stage in series three of The Masked Singer.
Obviously it's batshit. 
But such FUN batshit.
Culture
As my Mastodon toot proclaimed, 'As sure as night follows day, I'm watching The Traitors US.'  It was always going to happen, wasn't it? After I'd watched the UK version, it was only a matter of time. It started with me thinking, 'Not as good as the UK one but I'll give it a go,' and ended with me thinking, 'Holy Moly, it might feel different but it's still AMAZING.' It's on BBC iPlayer. You've been told. Moving on, I recently attempted to explain to my parents the brilliance of The Masked Singer. They weren't buying it, so I must have done a bad job. As did anyone who tried to explain it to me before I succumbed. Staying in on a Saturday has never been so fun. Annoyingly I had plans this week, so I had to catch up in the sober light of Sunday morning. Culture comes in all forms. Meanwhile, I just finished reading my seventh novel of the month, but I'll fill you in another time.

My Burns Night supper. A messy splat of haggis and mashed potato, with carrot and swede next to it.
A splatted haggis tower. 
You're welcome.
Food and Drink
Veggie haggis! Yep, I celebrated a belated Burns Night with a inauthentic but hopefully non-offensive veggie haggis recipe. Sadly the metal oven moulds I'd used to shape the mash-topped haggis-tower, were a bugger to remove. The neat individual portion I'd envisaged, splatted onto the plate with gusto. It still tasted great, mind. Meat or not, it's all about the spices.

Out and About
As I just mentioned, at the expense of live Masked Singer action, was a Saturday night meal. It was for - get this -  the first 50th of my peer group. That's a cold hard kick in the guts, right there. Someone in my social circle is fifty. That means I'm nearly fifty*. Wowsers. Life's got real.

The next twelfth is imminent. What shall we do with it? Learn a language? Have an adventure? Do the food shopping and make a cup of tea? It doesn't matter. Enjoy whatever it is, and you can't go wrong. Like the opening paragraph of a book, life doesn't have to be massive explosions, blazing rows, or grisly deaths. Thank frig. The mundane stuff can also keep up gripped. On that note, I'm just off to put my washing in the dryer. Rock and roll!

Have a lovely week, folks.

*This clip from When Harry Met Sally, springs to mind. I can't imagine why. 

Sally: And I'm going to be forty!
Harry: When?
Sally: Some day!
Harry: In eight years.

No comments:

Post a Comment