Monday 9 January 2023

A Bit More Comfort and Joy, Ta...

A decorative display of lit church candles in glass jars, surrounded by fir tree branches, tree bark, and greenery.
And we're back. Normality has resumed. I say normality, it's normality if you're livid the decs have gone and there's nothing exciting in your diary for months. Comedy writer, Joel Morris, tweeted, 'Most human societies have a winter feast to give hope and comfort during the dark, short, cold days.' He went on to add, 'Trad Xmas lasts until Candlemas in February. Doing 'dry January' and stopping the feast dead a few days after the blow out is insane and the work of Yankee Puritan lunatics.' I like this take. I like the idea of continuing to find hope and comfort over the coming weeks. My decs may have gone but there are still candles to light, a select few sets of fairy lights in place, and warming, hearty food to enjoy. 
Plus, the boxsets. Oh, the excellent boxsets! Read on for more of that.

Mara Wilson playing Matilda in 1996. She looks up and said, 'Oh yes, I love to read.'
Leeza ALSO loves to read, but
that's where the similarities
end. DEFO.


Writing News
I had a mild epiphany in the week. I know. Excellent timing! I went to see Matilda the Musical, at the cinema. I knew the story, natch, but I'd forgotten some smaller details. Like the name of the friendly librarian. It's Mrs Phelps. Or Miss Phelps if you're remembering the film from the nineties. I didn't think about it until I'd opened my Work in Progress and started to edit. Turns out, at some point in early 2022, when I was writing the first draft, I'd called Leeza's English teacher, Ms. Phelps. This made me do a long think. Like this... Hmmmmmmmmm. Had I subliminally remembered what the kind, literature-based adult in Matilda's life was called when I chose it for the kind literature-based adult in Leeza's life? As is often the case, I panicked. I don't need any lawsuits coming my way in 2023. But then I remembered what had prompted my naming of the teacher. She was loosely based on the screenwriter, Sarah Phelps. Someone that's great on Twitter, full of sweary wit and common sense. Exactly the vibe I wanted for the teacher of Leeza's favourite subject. The whole thing was a massive coincidence. I'm sure there'll be many more.

Homer Simpson is lying on his stomach, on the floor, happily kicking up his legs, and looking up at the TV.
Culture
Right then. Those boxsets. (Do we still call them that now we stream? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? ) A Spy Among Friends on ITVX has been great value. Enthrallingly grippy, it's the story of the spy, Kim Philby, along with the people he knew at the time. It's a hard recommend from me. Likewise, Stonehouse on ITV also kept me glued. Based on a true story, but presumably dramatised to bits, it was one of those programmes that had me straight on Wikipedia the moment it was over. I've still got the second series of White Lotus on the planner, and I've got Litvinenko on ITVX to see off too. Any January bleakness is easily banished with a few quality dramas.

Cheddar and jalapeño cornbread
from Boston Tea Party.
This is from early December, 
but I've made it a few times since.
Food and Drink
I'm still all about the soups. I did a butternut squash, chilli, and coconut in the week. I also banged out a fish pie - gotta get the veg in any which way - and I found a fab recipe for cornbread. A wedge of that next to a bowl of chilli is the absolute best. Or underneath a poached egg with a dollop of guacamole. Fit, fit, fit.

Out and About
I'm basically editing, watching TV, and hibernating. That's not really conducive to an Out and About subheading. I did emerge for catch up with mates on Thursday, but I got straight back into my PJs as soon as I was able. Maybe this week, I'll attempt a walk? Watch this space.

I'm all about easing in gently. Like Joel Morris said, 'Doing 'dry January'... is insane.' Or maybe it's not if you really want to stay off the booze. Maybe it's up to you how you tackle the rest of winter. For me, I'm enjoying sensible portions of tasty food, a return to weekend-only wine, and making the most of the cosiest, darkest, most wonderful time of the year. Happy January, everyone!

Have a lovely week, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Espionage is all so topsy turvy and confusing! If Kim Philby had never been caught there would never have been a postage stamp made after him or even a monument of him in Moscow and most of us would never have heard of him even though he was a cousin of Field Marshal Montgomery. If only he had read the epic spy novel Beyond Enkription in The Burlington Files series! It’s about Pemberton’s People in MI6 and is a must read for espionage cognoscenti. Have a look at a recent intriguing news article in TheBurlingtonFiles website dated 31 October 2022 about Colonel Pemberton's People in MI6, John le Carré and Kim Philby. You may be gobsmacked.

    ReplyDelete