Monday 9 May 2022

Bring on the Eurovision!!!!

Jon Ola Sand taps his microphone and says 'take it away'. (There's no sound.)
I'm still not used to the new bloke
so I'm letting Jon Ola keep his
eye on things for now.
Oh wow! Oh boy! It's arrived! The week that makes the other fifty-one worth enduring has finally started! From the first selections at the end of last year, through the January bleakness as countries got organised, to the promise of green shoots and bright weather as all eyes turn to Turin, we've made it; to this glorious day. For today is the dawn of our dreams. Today marks the start of - yes you've guessed it - EUROVISION WEEK!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Buscemi is a middle-aged man dressed in skateboard gear with a back-to-front cap, in a high school. The caption reads, 'How do you do, fellow kids.'
Me, casually referencing
 YouTube and TikTok like
it's nothing.

I won't lie, this feels amazing. All the excitement is still to come yet there's so much out there to whet our appetites. YouTube and TikTok have been all over it, but for anyone not up to speed, (and if you missed my interview on Riverside Radio on Saturday) here are the most basic of basics...
  • Ukraine will do exceptionally well and perhaps even win. Everyone will be happy for them and it will be a moving and emotional global gesture of solidarity. Their song is pretty good, regardless.
  • The UK probably won't live up to the huge (and very enjoyable) hype that they've created for the first time in years, but should do much better than usual. If the aim is to improve on last year's nul points result, then the only way is up. We've been drawn in the second half which is already a result and the rehearsals have gone really well. If, as I'm secretly hoping, we make it to the top ten, that'll be epic. I now think that's possible whereas as a couple of weeks ago I just wanted a point. Believe!
  • My only other contender in terms of song is Sweden. If I were cheering on someone for purely musical purposes, it'd be them. Classic, does-what-it-says-on-the-tin, Eurovision banger. It could also win.
Good luck, Sam Ryder.
I'm enjoying the bookies
optimism but I'll be happy
with any points. And if we
make it to the left hand
side of the board?
Amazing!
Either way, it's all still to come. The semi finals are on 
Tuesday and Thursday, I'll be getting my nails done in a European flag homage in the week, and then Saturday's the big one. The champagne will be flowing and the prawn and salmon blinis platter will be picked at. Buckle up folks and enjoy the ride of your lives, it's going to be GLORIOUS.
 
Writing News
Lolz. No seriously. Lolz. A change in life circumstances (how dramatic! No actual drama, but the work hours of the person I live with have changed) has meant things are currently being recalibrated. I've written this blog, last week's blog, a shopping list, and an online feedback form. Monday morning, when everything returns to normal, will be very welcome. (Except I'll be battling Post Eurovision Depression. Booo.)

Damiano David, lead singer of
last year's winners, MÃ¥neskin.
I look forward to reuniting
with my future next husband
on Saturday.
Culture
What? You want more than a globally broadcast song contest involving forty countries and watched by over 180 million people? Get you. Oh all right then. If you must press me, I suppose I'd recommend The Split on BBCiPlayer - a family drama set around a law firm, like a more middle-class and monied This Life. And if you want to be hit over the head with high school nostalgia whilst being punched in the gut with all the feels, I am compelled to point you towards Netflix's Heartstopper. It's the sweetest, boy meets boy story, that provides the good messaging about growing up, whilst beautifully depicting young love and the angst of trying to work yourself out. Every single one of my boxes were ticked, and ticked hard.

Food and Drink
For reasons explained below, there've been a lot of chips in my recent eating past. And after that, there were a lot of vegetables to try and redress the balance. I made my own hummus so I could eat carrot batons and cucumber sticks without feeling too rabbity, and tried to avoid all forms of fried potato once the caravan holiday was over. (Spoiler: There was a caravan holiday.)

There's an orange setting sun amongst a blue sky. The beach is empty except for one person, silhouetted in black as she walks along.
There's a lot of this
sort of thing in Wales.
Photo credit: Dom Bond.
Out and About
The Bank Holiday weekend saw a Bond family mini break (that makes it sound well classier) to a duo of caravans on the Cambrian Coast. Yes, I was back in Aberystwyth. The scene of many scenes from Assembling the Wingpeople. At one point, I drove my brothers and sister-in-law back from their cliff top walk whilst pointing out key locations from the novel. The chippy, the restaurant, the bar where the reunion takes place, and the bandstand on the beach where one of the characters has an 'incident'. They very kindly indulged me. Mainly because I was giving them a lift, I suppose. Beyond that, we got through the weekend and managed to avoid COVID, bad weather, and lost tempers physical fights. Well done, Us!

Three people (20221's Eurovision entry from Lithuania - The Roop) are wearing yellow clothes, running on the spot, and waving their arms in the air.
My insides, right this second.
But let's get back to business. Are we here? Are we braced? Are we ready for the wonder of it all? GOOD. Today, when I consider the mood icons in my peri-menopausal tracking app, I'll wholeheartedly select 'happy' and mean it - with gusto! Good luck Sam Ryder, good luck everybody. See you on the other side.  

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment