Monday 23 May 2022

Not-Home Pleasures inc. the Best Dip in Christendom...

An animation of five commuters sitting in a tube carriage. One is talking in a phone, one is reading a paper, two are reading books, and one is using a laptop.
London Cooking GIF. 
By Rebecca Hendin.
Stop Press: I'm writing this from not-home. Exciting! Apart from some Welsh caravans and AirBnBs, this is my first jaunt since the Before Times. It's only London, not a round the world 
trip, but still. It's a break. A break I used to do regularly, like it was my second city, and yet now it's two years later and I'm gingerly walking past much-loved haunts and hoping they've survived. Some have, some haven't, but in my life, I love you more 🎶  Sorry, I came over all Lennon and McCartney there. You can take the girl out of Liverpool, but you can't take the... etc etc. I've spent the last few days eating lovely food, tubing it all over the show, and seeing some marvellous theatre and stuff. Despite the aches in my legs from more walking than I've done in ages, it's been lovely.  

A teenager in 80s clothes with sunglasses and a hat walks down a school corridor waving and talking to people that pass.
Let's face it, this is my only
understanding of High School.
Writing News
The current worry/area of research I'm focusing on, is making the facts of Leeza's life authentic. I can write family drama and sibling banter without breaking a sweat. Piece of piss. But the details of a Year Seven's school life are less obvious. I keep asking friends with teens, what books they're reading. What texts do schools encourage these days? How much homework would she have? Also, is 'I'm crushing on X' a real phrase or is it a Netflix Americanism that's filtered into the teen stuff I'm watching. With the first book, Leeza's Y6 status was easy peasy. I had all the info at my finger tips to make it feel real - or an approximation of real. I'm always going to twist the facts to make it fit the story. But with my lack of modern day high school knowledge, it's harder. So that's where I'm at. High School Students:  If in the near future, our paths cross, prepare for a lot of random questions from a strangely interested but ultimately non-threatening writer-lady.

Lin Manuel Miranda in the role of Alexander Hamilton, is on the screen, with the caption, 'My name is Alexander Hamilton.'
YES IT IS.
Culture
What's that? Can I share some cultural highlights of the week that aren't actually telly-based? Why, yes! Yes I can! On Friday night I saw Hamilton for the second time. God, I love that show. The first time, I knew nothing other than it was the latest hot ticket. The second time around, it took all my strength not to join in with every word. 🎶How does the bastard, orphan, son of a whore, and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot, in the Caribbean...🎶  Yeah, yeah, you get the gist. And then if that wasn't enough, I saw the Comedy Store Players last night. They've been going for years and I've seen them before, but communal laughing at funny people's antics really is pure therapy.

Clockwise from the left - 
halloumi with black honey, veggie plate,
  cracked olives, olive stones, hummus,
 falafel bites, and triple chilli labneh
 in the centre.
Food and Drink
I only knew it for its lockdown restaurant kits (my 43rd birthday tea thanks you) but on Thursday night I ate at Arabica in Borough Market. Their triple chilli labneh and veggie plate might be one of my favourite ever dippy meals. Throw in some hummus, grilled halloumi, falafel bites, and freshly baked, pillowy pita and I was in dippy-tea heaven.

Out and About
London. Catch up.

My legs really are aching now. When I get home later, I'll be spending the rest of the day in a seated position. May all our aches be passing and may triple chilli labneh (insert your own top dip here) sustain us in our endeavours.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment