Monday 28 December 2020

The Twelve Months of Rambles...

And here we are. The final days of the weirdest, saddest, most anger-making year are upon us. Thank frig for that, I say, and all who sail in her. But at this point in December, it's customary to look back and reflect. To remember the experiences that shaped us, and the life-lessons we picked up along the way.

I don't know about you, but I'm really struggling to stomach that idea this time. We've got to the end, we're moving on, it's nearly over. (2020 I mean, rather than the specific bad stuff). I don't think I've got the constitution to assess how well I coped, how many strings to my bow were added, nor how I developed a new arsenal of resilience to lead me into 2021. Nope, not going there, not for a tiny second. Instead, I'm trying something new. Humour me. It's The Twelve Months of Rambles. Yep, you heard. Hurrah and huzzah!

Going back over the year, I've picked a blog post for each month. Some are my personal favourites, some are good indications of my own state of mind at the time, and then there are the ones that are seasonally appropriate. Click the links of any you fancy revisiting and wade into the waters of nostalgia and reflection with me. Go on, spoil yourself.

We kick off this retrospective with me fanfaring a new writing schedule. Oh how it mocks me now! But back then, I bought a chair, had a private space to work, and was full of the joys of a traditional working day. Click the link to laugh at my hubris. Or marvel at the graphic sex example with which I open. Come on, you know you want to.

In the before times, I was able to spend an entire post riffing on how much I'd forgotten the nineties; like I was smacked off my head the entire decade, or something. This was not the case, I'd just forgotten some stuff. Relive the decade I forgot by clicking the link. It was all triggered by the BBC repeating This Life, FYI.

This month saw my most viewed blog post of all time. I know! Who'd have thought? Not solely down to the regular readers of these rambles, it was also featured on a couple of other writing websites. Whenever I check my stats, this one's still up there. If reading my warts-and-all opinions about editing fiction floats your boat, this is the one for you.

April - Hair Experimentation is Back 
By the time April had come around, I'd covered Covid several times. This week's post was no different, although I'd allowed a bit of humour to push through. The topic of coping with bad hair, shows I'd moved on from suggestions for how to keep sane amidst the debilitating worry. It was a progress of sorts.

May - Quizzing Closure
By May we were old hands at lockdown. Lockdown schmockdown was the regular cry. This post was where I shared some of the quiz rounds I'd written for my family Zoom quiz. Remember those? All the rage in Lockdown One. Along with banana bread, sourdough, and stockpiling loo roll. Good times.

June - Where to Put My Anger
Oomph. It's about now that my political anger kicked in. Or at least the point where I let it spill out onto the blog. In completely unrelated news, a government advisor went for a drive to check his eyes. Still raging. 

July - Up With the Beauticians
Still fewmin' but a month on and I'm attempting humour again. This was when it became clear that the logic behind the lockdown's easing might not be as sound as it should be. Men and their beards were well catered for, but my nails were still on hold. I ranted here. Click the link. Do.

August - The Actual Power of Books
A final, politically motivated post, as the Summer saw several restrictions eased. A failed politician fixated with immigrants pushed himself back into the news cycle. He, and a few others, got short shrift here.  

September - How to be a Winner
Around about now I made a conscious effort to change the subject. No one needing reminding of the state of the world. This post was about maintaining robust self-esteem. It defo made me sound narcissistic, but it wasn't bad advice. Read it and see.

October - I Feel Bad About My Hat
I bought a hat and I wasn't sure about it. As I wrote the paragraphs, I worked myself up into a rightful indignation that I could wear whatever I liked and it didn't matter how it looked. By the end, I was at peace. Getting older and other thoughts, were the gist of this month's chosen post.

November - Time to Remove the CNN Drip
As global events go, this was definitely at the joyous, celebratory end of the spectrum. For me, for people who oppose fascism in general, and for actual Democrat voters alike. The US election was a highlight of a horrific rolling news cycle, and the first time in years I pulled an all-nighter. Relive it by clicking the link, why don't you.

December - Unto Us a Radio Times is Available
It might be a couple of weeks old now, but it's still highly timely. We're in the sweet spot between Christmas and New Year. (That's my preferred term, although I believe other phrases apply.) It's time to catch up on the iPlayer, invest a few hours in a big-budget mini series, or simply relive the repeats from your youth. Festive telly is here to save us.

Friday will herald a brand new year. It'll see our exit from the EU become practical instead of technical, and it'll likely see the entire country added to Tier 4 instead of just parts of it. You know what? I'm game if you are. Monday morning, 11am, and I'll throw a rambling diversion your way. Let's keep rambling, yeah? Nice one. Until then, Happy New Year! We will crack on together.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment