Monday 25 March 2024

Triggered in the Good Ways...

David Rose from Schitt's Creek says, 'I'm very young for my age.'
New year, new me! That's my vibe today. It's the first day of my 47th year, what with me turning forty-six several hours ago. And what of this brave new world? Well it's early days. What I do know is that forty-six is the new eighteen because I feel exactly the same on the inside as I did back then. On the outside? Well, there are a few aches and pains but that's superficial stuff. The inside is where it's at.  

Alexis from Schitts Creek throws her head back in frustration. The caption reads, 'I miss my life and I miss doing things.'
Remember feeling
 like this or just me?
Despite this, there's something slightly triggering about having a birthday mid-March. Remember four years ago? That's when the first national lockdown was announced. On my actual birthday eve! I'm still taking it personally. Last week, like a masochist, I deep-dived through my March 2020 photos and blog posts. It wasn't pretty - not for a second - but it was fascinating to see how I handled the unwelcome clash of global pandemic and birthday joy. Click here to see see for yourself. It reads like I'm full of gung-ho optimism and determined upbeat vibes. The reality? Putting on a brave face was probably more accurate.

Happily this year, I didn't have to put on a brave face. I was optimistic with upbeat vibes for real. And because of the events of that year, I relished every second of this year. I left my house, I stood within two metres of a variety people, and I spent happy times in a pub, restaurant, and cinema. It's good not to dwell on the difficult past, but we can still use it to be grateful for present day joy.

Alexis from Schitt's Creek excitedly grabs her phone from Moira's hand as Moira says, 'We have five likes.'
Writing News
The plot of my next book continues to percolate. And that's as much as is needed right now. Meanwhile the marketing of my current book is where it's all happening. I've got a social media timetable. Yep, a timetable! I planned it in February and it tells me when to post, where to post, and what to say when I do. Of course, it's flexible and open to adaptation. Nothing's set in stone. But having the framework in place means I tend stick to it. Writing: it's not just plots, characters, and themes, you know. If you want to see for yourself, check out my Linktree. It'll signpost you to all my social medias, should you be overtaken by the urge.

From the National Theatre Live screening of The Motive and the Cue. There's a table on stage, which has a man standing on top. He kicks his foot back and something flies off the table. He's in a rage.
Johnny Flynn, on the
table, as Richard Burton
Culture
I'm up to series seven of my The American Office rewatch. Woohoo! It's such good writing and I'll be gutted when it's over. I've also started Girls5Eva, which is on Netflix. It's from the stable of 30 Rock and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, so it's solidly written with lots of lols. Then, last Thursday, I took myself to the cinema for an absolute treat. National Theatre Live were showing The Motive and the Cue. It's a Jack Thorne play about the turbulent rehearsal period of the 1964 production of Hamlet. Mark Gatiss plays Sir John Gielgud and Johnny Flynn plays Richard Burton - both performances are spectacular. I sat back in my seat and ate up every scene. Nothing can replace being in the room for live theatre but when you're miles away from London, NT Live is very welcome. I'd never have seen this play without it and I'm all the better for having done so. More please.

A white bowl on a white plate, filled with large olives, coated in oil, and flecked in slices of chilli.
Birthday olives
Food and Drink
My birthday week required birthday food. I crammed in loads of my favourite recipes during the buildup - homemade patatas bravas, anchovy and prawn bruschetta, scrambled egg bagels, prawn tortilla toasts, and excessive Prosecco - but the main event was a birthday Basque cheesecake. Not usually one for a sweet tooth, I made an exception for this. It was delish! 

Out and About
A birthday meal at the Liverpool Malmaison and drinks at the Sky Bar were what I got up to over the weekend. Before that, there was my writing group, my Wednesday brunch, and my Costa writing sesh. They all reminded me how different things are from 2020. Isn't it marvellous!

I'm in good company. A quick Google tells me that Mary Berry, Grayson Perry, Alan Sugar, Harry Houdini, Jessica Chastain, Malcolm Muggeridge, and the guy who played Howard's Way's Ken Masters share my special day. So does my nephew, who turned eight this time around. Let's hope they all had/would have had a happily triggering time like I did. More next week, yeah? See you there.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment