Monday 11 March 2024

Busy Annoying Everyone...

When my last book came out - October 2021 - I had a clear realisation. Autumn is the perfect time to publish a book. It's the run up to Christmas so you can piggyback onto the gift market, it's a clear few months before the festivities begin, and as you finish up the promotional activities surrounding the release, you can relax into the end of year and start the next book in January. It makes perfect sense. 

A woman has a realisation, looks gutted, and holds her head in her hands.Therefore, it's unfathomable to me why my new book is coming out in May. May 23rd to be precise. The months running up to May - i.e now - are mad. In my family, it seems everyone has a birthday. Or it's Mother's Day, or Easter, or the annual family caravan holiday at the end of April. Promoting and publishing a book in the Spring is far from ideal. BUT HERE WE ARE. IT IS WHAT IT IS. WHAT CAN YOU DO? and other meaningless phrases like that. Look, Leeza McAuliffe Has Loads More To Say is coming out this May, and timing aside, I'm ecstatic about it.


Betty White is talking to a man in the street and the caption says, 'I'm also on Facebook and the Twitter.'
Writing News
Well, you know the big news. There's a book available for pre-order. (I'd love it if you gave it a look.) But there's more to writing a book than writing a book. Mad, eh? I'm currently in the middle of a social media frenzy. I say frenzy, but I'm trying to strike a balance. It's a fine line. I want to post pictures and links regularly enough so that they pique interest and grab attention, but not so much that they bore everyone senseless and turn people off. Anyone trying to hustle their wares via the Internet has the same struggle. Whichever side of the fine line you fall on, I hope my Insta, Threads, Twitter, Mastodon, Facebook, and TikTok posts don't annoy you too much. 

Emma Stone and Mark Ruffalo are Bella Baxter and Duncan Wedderburn. They're  on a dance floor, in a formal evening setting. Bella is spinning Duncan around, and he looks startled as he falls back into her and flails his legs about.
One of my favourite scenes in
Poor Things. Bella has been dancing 
unselfconsciously and with freedom.
Duncan can't handle that, so comes
over to try and force her into the confines
of a traditional dance. Ladies
and gentleman, the Patriarchy.
I found the diminishing of the 
character of Duncan 
particularly satisfying.
Culture
I've been blitzing the Oscar nommed films recently. The Holdovers, Past Lives, and Poor Things all got seen off in the run up to yesterday's ceremony. Ready for my reviews? Excellent. I thought that The Holdovers was sweet without being saccharine. I thought Past Lives was beautiful and mesmerisingly shot. And I thought Poor Things was fiercely feminist and funny AF. As is my personal tradition, I stayed up for the ceremony last night and despite everyone involved being a worthy winner, I'm still stumped as to why All Of Us Strangers wasn't up there for the big awards. It's been over a month since I saw it and I think about it daily.

A small white ramekin containing tapenade. It's a mixed up mush of green and black olives, with green parsley mingled through. On first glance it looks like a brown sludge. Closer up, you can see the flecks of different colours of olives and herbs.
It mightn't be pretty, but
oh the flavours!
Food and Drink
Two words. Homemade tapenade. Yep, I've gone there. It has all my favourite flavours, you see. (Admittedly, many of them an acquired taste.) You want a recipe? I got you! I whizzed up a tub of mixed olives, anchovies, capers, parsley, garlic, lemon juice and zest. I kept it slightly chunky, and spread over warm crusty bread. As an extra lovely thing, I added some room temperature goat's cheese that had started to ooze. The creaminess of that balanced the zing of the lemony olives. What can I say, it was FIT. 

Out and About
Folks, I've had a lash lift. Now my lashes point perkily skyward and I look fresh and awake when I stumble out of bed. On top of that there was a family meal in the pub (Happy Mother's Day to me ma!) a Costa writing sesh, and a dash to Warrington Bank Quay after my brother's train was cancelled. No two weeks are the same, amiright?

Once again, if you stumble across me on social media, I'm sorry for the onslaught. There's only so many ways to word BUY MY BOOK but I'm trying to find them all. If you can preorder it, fantastic. If you can't, any likes, reposts, or shares would be greatly appreciated. 

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment