Monday 11 December 2023

Empty Heads and Spicy WhatsApps...

Joe Biden, at a podium, has his hand raised to his eyes, and is searching for something infant of him.
Anyone seen some WhatsApps?
It could happen to any of us. Just when we want to revisit an old WhatsApp convo – perhaps to check plans we’ve made, or remind ourself of the date something happened - we realise 5000 of our messages are missing. What could have happened? Who knows? Perhaps it’s ‘something to do with the app going down and then coming back up again, but somehow automatically erasing all the things between that date when it went down and the moment when it was last backed up.’ Lolz.
 
Yep, it’s the COVID inquiry. Again. This week’s testimony forced me to look at my own WhatsApp groups. The messaging service barely existed when I had a proper job. Social media was in its infancy. The upshot being, I just can't imagine typing disparaging messages about colleagues to other colleagues. That stuff was saved for chats in the pub. I was also told - back when I had a proper job - never to write down notes in meetings that I wouldn't want read out in court. I’m probably less cautious now, what with me never having meetings these days, but still. Food for thought. Anyway, back to WhatsApp. When I scroll through my regular chats, the only one that feels slightly secret is the parent-free sibling convo we've got set up. It was mostly used when my parents were stranded in Heathrow after snow had grounded their plane. For two days, me and my sibs chatted at length about what we could do to help (not much in actuality). It seems, if my WhatsApps are ever required in a public inquiry, 'Mum’ll be fewmin,' is as spicy as it gets. So that's a relief. 
 
A woman - probably an actress - is being interviewed on a late night talk show. She is gesturing to her head as the caption reads, 'It's blank up here!'
Writing News
I'm still chilling, still hanging around, still waiting on other people to work their magic before my next big pre-publication push. But you know what? It’s so good. Regardless of what I’ve been doing for the past two years, whether I’ve been away on holiday, doing mundane chores, or dropping off to sleep, I’ve never not been thinking about my novel. Now that it’s in the hands of someone else, I’m enjoying a truly empty head. It’s glorious. 

 
Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in Die Hard. He's talking into a phone and saying, 'Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr Cowboy?'
I can't lie. I was rooting for 
Alan. What a legend he was.
Culture
Last week I told you about The Murder Game I was reading. Well, I got that recommendation from this article about cosy Christmas mysteries. I’m now onto Ada Moncrief’s, Murder Most Festive which is more seasonal murder funI’ve also branched out in my Christmas film viewing. As outlined in this blog from 2018, festive films can be titles that simply get broadcast at Christmas. Think back to Radio Times’ from yesteryear. What sort of blockbusters were fanfared as appointment TV? This week I’ve seen off Die Hard (not a trad Christmas film but perfect viewing at Christmas - end of), Clockwise, Lethal Weapon, and Clear and Present Danger. It seems I’m hoovering up the action thriller/John Cleese genres right now.
 
Food and Drink
When I was at sixth form college, for reasons that now escape me, myself and a couple of friends got into the habit of having a daily sausage barm from the canteen. Except instead of a bread roll we’d have a teacake. Plus lots of tomato ketchup.  Like I said, the reasons escape me, but it was my sixteen year old self’s staple meal during my A Levels. Last week I remembered, and revisited it for my Sunday breakfast. It might be veggie sausages now but the concept’s still sound. Get onto veggie sausage tea cakes! They’re the best.  
 
Out and About
My mate had a pre-Christmas dinner party which sounds well classy. It was, apart from my inclusion. I can't pull off stylish elegance for a second, but regardless, a good time was had by all. Then, the following day, we had a family meal for my ma's birthday. Pre-lash and post-lash was round my gaff, where I continued to be not-at-all-classy-whilst-still-having-the-best-of-times.
 
This week I'm away. A few days in lovely, wintery Scotland. Will it snow? Will I post all sorts on Insta? Will I overdose on cullen skink? Who can say. Either way, come back next week for the last Long Ramble of the year. You'd be gutted to miss it. 
 
Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment