Monday 25 December 2023

God Rest Ye Merry, Blog Readers...

A kid in a Santa hat is standing in front of someone off camera. The caption says, 'We bought you some good cheese.'
Then step right in, young man.
A few years ago I was chatting to a friend who's Muslim. She was telling me how she didn't celebrate Christmas but still loved this time of year.' Why?' I asked. 'Because...' she said, '...it's when the shops have all the good cheese. So here we are. Christmas day has arrived. And if you celebrate, glad tidings of comfort and joy to you! If you don't, then please, whatever you do, make sure you enjoy all the good cheese. 

This is the first time that the Monday blog coincides with Christmas Day. (Since 2017, when I didn't bother.) It doesn't matter. Tomorrow's the big one in my family. That's when my house will be chocka. Full of siblings, siblings-in-law, their kids, my parents, my brother's friend, and a dog. It'll be unhinged chaos that will sap every bit of energy I've managed to conserve in the days prior. It'll also be shit loads of fun. Today is merely the pre-amble. Hence why I'm quite happy to be posting this now. 

But first, as is tradition, a look back to Christmas of yesteryear. Please do scan the photo. Take in every detail and soak up those seventies vibes. I say seventies - it's the brown-hue of the decor - but I think this was actually 1980. My family were never on trend. Check out my bowl cut for evidence. Likewise, my red dungarees. (I had a matching pair in blue) They were all I seemed to wear when I was two. You want more historical clues? Christmas cards hooked over a sagging piece of string; a pink tinsel star that's already seen better days even though it's in the infancy of its use; my dad's period piece shirt collar. It's all there. A primary source to excite historians. 

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my second festive season. Do I know it's Christmas? Do I have a clue how giddy a neighbour's fairy lights will make me in forty-odd years? Do I have an inkling how much Future Me will buzz off circling the Christmas Radio Times despite the variety of streaming services she can watch anytime? I'd say, no. I look a bit dense. Mindlessly pointing to a tree, presumably being urged on by my mum behind the camera. 

I don't remember this picture being taken, nor this specific Christmas. What I do know is, it must have been fun. It didn't put me off enjoying future Christmas'. I mean, I over enjoy them to the hilt! Whatever went down in 1980 (and the subsequent years) kept my festive spirits buoyant. And to think, I didn't even know the concept of good cheese, back then. Whatever your plans..

...have a lovely day, week, and rest of the year, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment