Monday 29 May 2023

Self-Love and Butter Beans...

Jonathan Van Ness from Queer eye is saying, 'Gotta have that self-love Queen. Yes, yes, yes.'
Last week I self-loved
via moisturiser.

Netflix has dropped a new series of Queer Eye. Woohoo. Ordinarily, that'd be mentioned under Culture News, but this week we're opening with it. Have you seen it? No? You defo should. It's so much more than a makeover show. Sure, it gives the featured person a new wardrobe and hair cut, but it does this whilst gently digging into the underlying reasons they're in a rut. By the end, as they model an overshirt and fresh 'do, they've shed the baggage of their past, and are walking tall for the first time in years. Hurrah. 

So why am I mentioning this now? Well, on Saturday I was at a wedding. (Congratulations Stuart and Emily!) With that in mind, I'd spent the previous week exfoliating, moisturising, and fake tanning. I'd also drunk more water and eaten less shite so I'd be feeling fit as frig on the day. And Reader, I did. I felt AMAZING. Whenever I'm feeling rubbish, I need to remember that skincare and water will put in a shift to help alleviate mental dips. Shallow? Perhaps. Does that matter? Nahhhh. My insides felt tip top. How I looked on the outside couldn't have mattered a jot.

Writing News
I'm at the stage where I need other people to read my manuscript. Almost. I still want to do a couple of complete read-throughs - one for plot and characterisation, the other for spelling and formatting. Then, I'll get in touch with the editor I use. It's so nice to reach a breakthrough. 


Joshua Jackson in the present-day, on set of a US talk show, waving to the audience. He has grey in his beard and at his temples. He looks HOT.
It's very disconcerting to watch 
Joshua Jackson as teenage Pacey
Witter in Dawson's Creek,
then have his present day self
 pop up like this. 
Culture
Nothing new to report. I'm still working through my Dawson's Creek rewatch (currently coming to the end of series 4), I'm still in the middle of my Frasier rewatch (currently in the middle of series 5) and I'm watching weekly Taskmaster, Succession, and Ted Lasso, all of which finish this week. Sob. When they go, I'll have room in my viewing schedule to add more content. Oh, hello Sewing Bee, you'll do nicely, thank you. 

A bowl of food. On one side, crusty toasted bread. On the other, a pilaff butterbeans with tomatoes, spinach, and sauce.
Mmmmm. My lovely
butterbean mishmash.
Food and Drink
Last week I was all about butter beans. Glamorous? No. Tasty? Yes. Well, as long as you add loads of flavour. Saute halved cherry tomatoes, anchovies, a shed load of garlic, and some spinach. When soft, stir through a glass of white wine and a decent blob of Philadelphia. Add your tin of butter beans (plus the water they came in) and simmer. Serve with crusty bread, add loads of salt and pepper, and be wowed by how gorgeous your tea is.

Out and About
I only had time for the wedding of the year but that was more than fabulous. It's so lovely to get tarted up and party with friends you've known for decades. 

It's another Bank Holiday in the UK right now. I don't know about you but I'm getting bored of them. I guess if I had a job that closed when they pop up, I'd welcome as many as possible. Either way, if you're stuck working, or if you're off work because of this random tradition, hope it's a good one. Maybe try some self-care. Go on, rub in a bit of moisturiser. And remember...

...have a lovely week, folks

No comments:

Post a Comment