Monday 26 April 2021

Cultural Highlights of Lockdown 3...

Nature is healing. Or perhaps it's old consumerist ways that are healing? That's probably more like it. Anyway I'm wearing eyeliner again. Three days a week at least. And my car is getting used more. Then last week I went on a wholly frivolous trip to a garden centre in search of outdoor solar lights. These will be added to the no-longer-working outdoor solar lights that I already own, building up layer upon layer of useless wire adornment, draped over random trees, bushes, and eaves. Like I say, consumerist nature is on the mend. We're getting back on track. Whether that's a good thing or not, is up for debate.

Covid 19?
But look. The past week has seen me have a proper pint, a proper manicure, and a proper large tea in a takeaway cup with skimmed milk please from Costa. With these pleasures back in my life, it's easy to feel a little bit Covid Schmovid. You know. 'Coronavirus? I don't know her. I think she goes to another school.' Now that the sun is shining and many people are happy about that, it's easy to forget the end times of the past year.

But hold your horses, people. Before we move into a giddy whirl of social plans and exciting outdoor pursuits with five more people or one more household (for at least the next five minutes at the time of writing!) let's stop and think. It's healthy to take stock before beckoning a big life change your way. We need a minute. We need time to ponder the pleasures we derived from being cooped up. Obviously there was very little real fun in staying in. But by the power of Grayskull, I've boxed off some excellent telly this year. I've seen some great films, read some cracking books, and filled my ears with the best podcasts. Let's not forget what has seen us through. As I prepare for a summer of sneezing outdoors with no WiFi, let's give some honourable mentions to the art that's fuelled us all during the first part of 2021.

In no particular order here are my personal highlights...

Line of Duty
If you know, you know. Move on. But if you haven't watched it yet, start at the beginning and get involved. It's a thrilling, pacy drama, with just enough tongue in cheek knowingness to make it rip-roaringly enjoyable too. The last episode of the current series is on Sunday and I will be bereft afterwards. Join the national conversation. It's great.

Gill Biggeloe, known on Shrine of
Duty
as Bomchickawowwow for 
her breathy sexuality and 
outstanding curly blow-dry.
Shrine of Duty
My favourite podcast this year. A companion episode to Sunday night's Line of Duty, drops early doors on Wednesday morning. It's just as exciting as the telly programme. And funny as frig with it. Listen to Brendan, Hannah, and Rebecca obsess over every possibly theory, and feel part of something bigger than a mere TV programme. There's also previous series guides if you're playing catch up. Worth your time. Defo.

See? Right up my street.
The Bold Type
Netflix told me I'd like this but I ignored them. Then my brother and sister-in-law did, so I gave it a chance. It is fab stuff! Three millennial women working at a glossy magazine in NYC with great fashion, sexy boyfriends, and pacy plots. But... it's feminist as all get out. The three friends are totally supportive of each other, and women in general. Bitchiness is nowhere to be seen. Topics covered are genuinely educational - from breast cancer, to egg-freezing, to sexuality, to miscarriage, to consent, to ageing, to representation, to career planning - it informed and entertained me whilst I felt supported by women who had my back. I identify most with the magazine's editor because I'm closer in age (and she's really cool so OF COURSE that's me) but there's someone there for everyone. I'd have loved to have watched this as a teen. 

Promising Young Woman
This was Oscar nommed all over the show and won Best Original Screenplay mere hours ago. It's got a couple of Baftas under its belt too. Available on Sky and NOW, this sort of thriller, sort of revenge playbook, sort of hard-to-describe film blew my tiny mind. The opening scene had me yelling YES at the telly. I might have even clapped. After that, it's hard to summarise but here I go.* It's a film that articulates the anger some women feel at living within a rape culture, whilst highlighting the internalised misogyny other women display when faced with evidence of that same culture. There. That's my stab at an elevator pitch. Either way, it's a very clever film. Totally gripping. And, to my mind, one that really emphasises the lived experience of the film reviewer. I've not done an exhaustive study by any means, but the one older male reviewer I'd read beforehand, didn't get it. And in some ways, that's fine. It wasn't made for him. But the women, particularly young women, who have rated it, seem to understand the rage much more. If you can watch it - and take care. TW sexual assault and rape - then it's worth a look.

Just Eat It
How marvellous. A book written by a proper nutritionist with qualifications and ev, who encourages you to eat the food you like. I devoured - pun completely intended - this book. Recommended by my sister, it basically encourages you to eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. I know, right? BAT SHIT. But there we have it. The secret to a healthier mindset around food. It's also packed with lots of positivity about body types, keeping things real in terms of expectations, and general good vibes about loving yourself. I read it just as my weekly WW meetings kicked in again. I've gone back to them so I could see my mates and have a laugh but my mind's definitely shifted about the whole shebang. Could be for you if you're sick of diets. Or if you want to feel good about yourself all the time, instead of only when you've lost weight.

Bob Mortimer
This isn't new but 2021 was when I found myself watching it. Fairly regularly too. If you enjoy Would I Lie To You, you'll know Bob Mortimer is the absolute king. He sprinkles his magic and makes everything piss funny. So fortuitously for the world, someone has cobbled together his lies and truths on YouTube. It's about fifty minutes long. I know! But on the nights in January when I struggled to sleep, putting this on my phone at a low volume and resting it next to my ear, did the trick. Because I was happy to be feeling joy, or because Bob's voice is strangely hypnotic? Not sure. Either way, it's brill.

Look, if you're out and about, meeting up, eating on pavements and drinking in gardens, I'm made up for you. No really, I am. But if you're taking it easy, cautiously dipping your toe in society at a more gentle pace, then this list might break up your week. My highlights from 2021 so far. There are certainly worse things you could be doing.

Have a lovely week, folks.

*I am fasciated by the response this film provokes, in particular the differences men and women display in their reaction. If I were ever called upon to do a dissertation again, I'd design a questionnaire and compare reactions to Promising Young Woman between people representing all sorts of demographics. Age is something else that would interest me to break down. But anyway. As I'm no longer studying anything anywhere, I'll just have to imagine it. As you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment