Monday 23 September 2024

Ringing the Changes...

You know me well enough by now, yeah? It's chilly outside, I'm wearing jumpers most days, and Strictly has started. I'm in my happy place! 

An animated snowy scene. Snow is falling, a log cabin style home is covered in snow, but the windows are glowing orange from firelight and lights within. It's cosy af.
The first sniff of autumn and this
is where my head's at.
The thing about this time of year, is that there's loads of good TV coming up. I've made a list of the shows I don't want to miss and it's getting added to on the daily. Then there're the books I've got piling up around me. Even though my days are filled with writing the next Leeza McAuliffe book, I'm determined to make time for other people's stories. If you don't consume stories you can't write stories, right? And even if you don't write stories, nor wish to, transmitting the lives of other people into your home can only help create a sense of empathy for the experiences of others. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and wind my neck in. I've got stories to consume.

An open laptop on a coffee shop table. A tall take-away cup is next to the laptop. It's a maroon colour and has COSTA written down the side in white lettering. On the laptop screen, there's an open word doc. It has the words 'Leeza McAuliffe Book 3 by Nicky Bond' written in large black font.
Costa's where the magic happens. 
(Occasionally.)
Writing News
After sacking off last week, I'm back with a bang! Chapter Three is now complete. That's Chapter Three, of the first draft of Leeza McAuliffe Book Three. There's a thing that people say. You know, people? They say that when you're writing a sitcom, you should write the pilot as if it's episode three. That means you don't waste time on explanations about who's who and where we are. If you're pretending to write episode three, you're straight into the plot and the jokes. I like that. It's a good way to write a book too. Not treating your readers/audience like they need spoon-feeding is always the best way. With that in mind, it was interesting to notice how I've been writing now that I've reached the third chapter for real. And you know what? The words are FLYING onto my screen. Perhaps because I'm straight into the plot (and jokes) I can speed through and tell the tale. That's how it seemed last week, anyway. Hopefully Chapter Four will flow just as freely.

Me, in a stadium seat. The seats are red, and empty ones can be seen behind me. I've got black rimmed glasses, long brown hair with a blonde fringe, and I'm close up to the camera. Behind me head, there a red banner/sign across the back of the stand. It says Liverpool and has social media icons.
LWFC signage everywhere!
Culture
Football's back, baby! The Women's Super League season has begun. Yesterday saw Liverpool's first home match against Leicester City (1-1) in their new home stadium. St. Helens' rugby league ground is now Liverpool Women's home too. And even though I was happy enough in Prenton Park, and I quite liked Widnes' stadium prior to that, I'm SO impressed by Saints. The Liverpool logo and badge was everywhere. Over doorways, on the stands, by the carpark... everywhere. For the first time in my supporting life, it felt like the home ground of my team. I did spare a thought for the person who's up and down ladders before and after every match, getting things shipshape for the next rugby game.* Thanks Saints! I've loved the welcome.

Me, a white woman with brown hair and a blonde fringe, is holding a bagel to her mouth and smiling. I'm wearing black rimmed glasses and have a green jumper. The bagel has salmon pate oozing out of it at the sides. I'm doing a mixture of biting and smiling.
Resisting mash one
salmon bagel at a time.
Food and Drink
Now the weather has cooled, my thoughts have turn to mashed potato. Only my thoughts, so far. For now I'm holding off on actually submitting to the lure of the creamed spud. Because once I go there, it's game over 'til March. Once I pour the boiling water onto the Bisto granules, that's it for months. In a similar way, I'm forcing myself to hold off on the Christmas films too. It's not just mash and gravy that are being resisted. The struggle is real. We're slowly inching into a new season. We MUST pace ourselves. In the meantime, smoked salmon pate bagels have been keeping me happy until I can't take it anymore. 

Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice and Catherine O'Hara as Delia Deetz are facing each other head to head. Beetlejuice looks Delia up and down, and Delia says, 'Eww.'
Out and About
I've returned to the cinema. Yes, the gaudy, noisy explosion of summer kids' films is over. Us childfree adults who enjoy a film evening can check the listings and rely on finding something that ticks our boxes. (Inside Out 2 was this summer's hugest exception.) With that in mind, Friday night was Beetlejuice Beetlejuice night. And you know what? It was a lark! In related news, coming home in the early evening as it was starting to get dark, warmed my winter-loving heart. It continues to be of great irritation that I was not born in Svalbard

If you're already diving into the winter foods, good on you. If you're grieving the end of summer, fair play to you. If you're cracking and getting by, then have a round of applause from me. Wherever we're at, hurrah and huzzah to us all!

Have a lovely week, folks.

*It's now occurred to me that maybe the rugby league season isn't on right now. Maybe they're having some down time and the stadium can be Liverpoolified willy nilly. I'll probably get round to Googling that at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment