Monday 16 September 2024

Writing Off the Week...

When I was a student, I was expected to be in Uni for nine hours a week. OMG, the stress! Three of those hours were on Monday morning from 9am. The thing is, if I didn't feel immediately filled with energy at the sound of the alarm clock, I'd roll over and give the lecture a miss. And once I'd missed Monday? Well it made sense to give the rest of the week a swerve too. No point being half-assed. I'd wait for seven days and give it another go the following Monday. (That routine happened more times than I can remember and it's only down to my sheer street smarts that I got a 2:2.)

An old school alarm clock. It's a white oval face, with two red metal bells either side on top. There is a picture on the face of Mickey Mouse in the centre of the face. He is using his arms to be the hands of the clock.
My University alarm clock.
I will never find the words to
adequately convey how
loud this clanged.
Fast forward to last week, and something similar happened. On Monday, I had to drop my partner at work in Chester. We were sharing a car while his was getting fixed, and if I didn't want to be housebound, I needed to give lifts. By the time I'd done the 1.5 hour round trip, my routine was out the window. No early morning walk, no breakfast by nine, and no being showered and dressed at my desk by 9.30am. The week had gone to pot on day one so I wrote the whole thing off. THIS week, I'm hoping things will be better. I've got up on time and I've done my Monday walk. That bodes well for the next seven days. Now, the rest is up to me. 

The bottom of the photo is the corner of a planning file. The title says, 'March' and that is all that's visible. The book is sitting on a desk. The wood is visible but there's a variety of penis and pens, a mini notebook with a spiral, a pad of post its, a pencil sharpener, some sellotape on a roll, and a piece of paper with scribbles on it.
The corner of Chapter 3's
plan and my messy desk.
Writing News
What with my giving last week a swerve attitude, I didn't start Chapter 3. No matter. It wasn't a complete waste of a writing week. I went back into Chapters 1 and 2, and neatened up a couple of plot points. As I did, I noticed that I've been doing a lot of telling and not showing, instead of the opposite way round. That'll need to be ironed out in the edit. But for now? It's onwards and upwards with draft one. Hopefully.

Tori, in a scene from Heartstopper, is standing in the doorway, talking to someone off camera. She takes a sip through a straw of her drink. The caption says 'Well done then.'
Tori from Heartstopper
and Solitaire
Culture
I've started reading more of Alice Oseman's novels. The Heartstopper author and illustrator has written four novels featuring some of the same characters. When we talk about writers creating a world, it often means sci-fi or fantasy. I love it when the world that's created is realistic and relatable. I've started with Solitaire, which focuses on Tori. She's in 6th form, is irritated by much, and I like her a lot. I also rewatched Beetlejuice and The Truman Show, listened to this pod about The Truman Show, and watched Netflix's The Perfect Couple, which was a hoot. Oh, and now that Only Murders in the Building is back, I'm cosily entertained every Tuesday once more. 

A gif of a pie. It's probably steak as there's brown gravy seeping though the cracks. The pastry is golden and flaky. It looks oozy and bubbling.
Not my actual pie
but a damn good
representation of it.
Food and Drink
It's not all Instagram recipes and fancy schmanzy ingredients. No sireee! On Sunday, after a particularly cold and blustery week, I was craving gravy. It's been months since I've eaten anything approaching a roast, and I still wasn't ready for the full meat, veg, and potato two ways. I was also NOT up for summery salad nonsense. There was only one option. Chips and pie! The chippy by mine sorted me out, and in no time at all I was picking out the pieces of steak* of a Hollands, and leaving the thick gravy to be dunked in at will. It was FIT.

A large screen is at the front of an auditorium. There is a still of Leonardo di Caprio and Clare Danes from Romeo and Juliet. The room is bathed in pink light. There is a pulpit on a stage, decorated with lace, flowers, candles, and lights. It's similar to the scene in the Romeo and Juliet film where Juliet is laid in the church with the candles and catholic iconography. Either side of the screen, on the stage, are two blue neon-lit crosses, similar to the film.
St. George's Hall
Out and About
This is technically Culture but so be it. On Friday I was at St. George's Hall for a Backyard Cinema showing of Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet. It's a great film, natch. But the soundtrack? Oomph, the soundtrack! I mean, it's great on Spotify, but can you imagine a live gospel choir and band performing the songs throughout the evening? Can you? Can you? Because I can! It was marvellous. An invigorating and life-affirming experience for a Friday night in town. More of that sort of thing please. 

Reading this back, it's not all bad. Considering I wrote the week off, I did get some stuff done. And hopefully this week will be all the more industrious because of it. Yes? No? Who's to say? 

Have a lovely week, folks.

*Regular readers may remember I don't eat meat. I do, however, eat meat products. Just as long as they're not solid flesh. Gravy, it's transpired, is the perfect non-solid meat delivery system.

No comments:

Post a Comment