Monday 23 March 2020

Let's Cut to the Chase...

No need for preamble, we know where we are. While the Government take measures for our physical safety, it's on us to safeguard our mental health the best we can. Here are some ideas. Not tips - they won't all be appropriate or effective for everyone - but ideas. Take them, adapt them, ignore them. No worries. 

1. Keep the endorphins pumping. Feeling rubbish can sometimes be eased with a spot of exercise and this is my suggested spot. Here's a link for a five minute Bollywood workout. Five minutes, indoors, with cheery music. I've done it every time I've had to step away from social media and it's done my head wonders. (And my fitness levels.*)

2. Step away from social media. My Twitter feed, whilst lively and often informative, makes my head ache. The family WhatsApp group can be the same at the moment. I'm limiting what I read. I'm trying to stop commenting on anything other than nice things, and I'm forcing myself to do other stuff instead. Writing, when I can. Bollywood workouts, of course. Plus a bunch of other distractions. More of them below.

A shared cake for the two
birthdays of the household
 this week. Cream cheese
topping to follow.
3. Bake a cake. Supermarket shelves are patchy and there are restrictions on popular items. Ingredients, however, tend to be available, especially for the more obscure or interesting recipes. Smaller shops and online providers are stepping up and then there's always the random stuff you've got left from that one time you made that birthday cake, remember? So, flour, butter, and sugar? That's a tray of biscuits right there. Or flour, yeast, and not much else? That's all that goes into a basic loaf. When your head's gone, think how therapeutic all that kneeding and pounding will be. Then if you're up for something a little more adventurous, how about this white chocolate tea bread? In fact, Jack Monroe's entire website is a delight - full of interesting food made from simple ingredients. There's bound to be a recipe that uses whatever tins you've ended up with. It's nourishing, and keeps your hands and mind busy, all at once.
Fresh air, a change of scenery,
lots of endorphins, and definitely

 two metres away from anyone.

4. Change your environment. Walks are good if you're allowed out and you keep your social distance. More of those endorphins along with the natural light has to be a positive thing. But if you're inside all day, it's time to be creative. Work from one room in the day and move to another for the evening. Change the lighting so it feels different. I'm switching on my fairy lights every night now. (A fairy light's for life, not just for Christmas!) because it makes me happy. Ditto candles. I only usually light them when people come round, but now it's a dusk ritual.

5. Music Therapy. It took a few days for me to work this out. I'd wake up, feel fine, read the news, and my head would immediately ache. So now, I wake up, feel fine, and play Walking on Sunshine as I make my first cup of tea. When that gets tired, I've got a list of instant mood-lifting bangers in my back pocket. Flashdance, I'm Your Man, The Story of the Blues Pt 1. Songs that put a momentary spring in my step and make me feel braced for anything. When my birthday hits tomorrow, I'll be bringing in the big guns - Loreen's Euphoria, of course.

I bought one pair of shoes, that I
hated, and that I eventually sold on
eBay after they sat in my wardrobe
 for years. But even Gucci are
reaching out and checking in on me.
6. Communicate with others. This is a tricky one. In normal life, I tend not to bother, day in day out. I'm used to being around people at a distance but not necessarily chatting with them, so communicating is new. But it's interesting how the situation has forced a few changes. I've sent more messages and emails to people I won't be seeing, than I have for years. I've chatted to my most local family member a lot more than normal, as we work out the logistics of family stuff. I even had my first phone conversation last week! I know! Like it's 2003. Times change when they need to, and here we are. 


Book recommendations are
cheering me up. I've
saved this screen shot
so I can look these books up,
 when I need a new distraction.
7. Delay some gratification. Last week I talked about stockpiling quality television. I've since downloaded the first episode of Last Tango in Halifax. It's there in my planner, waiting for me to dive in. The anticipation of that is almost as thrilling as the eventual viewing will be. Knowing it's there is giving me something to look forward to, no matter when it ends up taking place. Likewise, last Saturday, Knives Out became available to buy. I realised there's a bunch of quality films that'll be released over the next couple of months, that I saw in the cinema at the start of the year. So I can eagerly anticipate the release of Jojo Rabbit, Little Women, and It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood. And then there are all the classic Eurovisions I'm going to revisit. (My brother was talking in similar terms about old Everton matches.) Looking forward to viewing plans, for an unspecified future date, raises my mood. Anticipation. It's as potent as actual enjoyment, and lasts longer. 


My brother's standard Saturday
cafe breakfast, in new takeaway format.
8. Be helpful. There are a million ways to help others that can make you feel proactive rather than passive. Offering to get someone's shopping. Spreading the word about an online service that a local business is offering. Ringing or emailing someone you know will be glad of the contact. It doesn't need to be massive. There's also satisfaction to be found in making a note of the companies that are treating their employees well. I've already made a few decisions about where my money will be going after all this blows over, and conversely, where it won't. 

9. Do your best. Everyone is interpreting the news messages the best way they can, whilst taking in the grim realisation of the financial implications. Everyone is making tough decisions based on a balance of their responsibilities and their own health needs. Sometimes it sounds like it's fine to go to the shops as long as you keep your two metres distance. Other times it sounds like you'll hospitalise someone if you look at them through your window. Stick to the official news sources, check them once a day, and then move on to something else. Cakes, TV, Bollywood workouts, whatever. 

My kitchen wall. Positive activities
blu tacked on at eye level. I see them
every time I get a cup of tea.
Like I say, some of these ideas won't work for everyone. We've all got different guidelines to follow, depending on our own and our family's health. Some of these ideas won't be appropriate for some. But some might be useful. Some might help. Keeping a routine, keeping busy, and keeping away as much negativity as possible will help towards easing some of the stress. If my head feels like I've got a never-ending OFSTED now, it's only going to get worse if I don't plan how I can support myself over the forthcoming weeks. 

Have a lovely week, folks.

*My aim is to be able to complete it in full, without getting out of breath, by the time normal business resumes. Then I might move on to something in the 6 minute category. The fact I am advocating exercise shows we are in uncharted water.

No comments:

Post a Comment