Monday 1 July 2019

Power to the Joyful People...

The news hasn't been much fun lately, has it? I realise the term 'news' is a broad church, encompassing the 'And finally...' stories as well as the headline-grabbing stuff. Even so, it's a bit of a bin fire. From the vast majority of the country having enforced bystander status regarding the choosing of the new Prime Minister, to the clamour of some MPs to dismiss violence against women as soon as it's caught on camera or heard by neighbours, to the latest sexual assault allegations concerning the US president, to the continued US border camps where children are being held in squalor, it takes it toll. The feeling of deep rage coupled with an inability to fix the world, is no fun at all. There are charities that will take your donations, there are petitions to sign, and there's another political march this month. These are drops in the ocean. We know that, but we do them anyway. We do what we can to quench a little rage. We sign the petitions, we support the charities, and we raise issues with our elected representatives. Then we carry on. We do the food shopping, we go to work, we open the wine. When the next news alert breaks, it's awful but we carry on.


Find the joy, folks. Even on a slide.
Carrying on is fine, but we need to carry on joyfully. No matter how grim things seem, to lose a lust for life because of the terrible behaviour of others, is to let the baddies win. To be openly happy is revolutionary. Taking a lesson from all that have celebrated Pride this Summer - and I am definitely NOT saying we need a straight Pride. I am NOT that person, such a ridiculous argument, purleeese - I am going to feel pride and joy in everything I can. I am going to enjoy the small things, no matter how unimportant they seem in the face of the overwhelming bad stuff - the small things that can provide a necessary break from reality, or a chance to revel in positivity and oppose the gloom. Here's a few suggestions of how I, or indeed you, might manage that.

I spent this weekend waving my
iPhone torch and singing loudly too.
Treat Your Ears...
It may be over for another year but I LOVE Glastonbury. Whilst I can never see myself re-embracing camping at this stage in my life, the BBC coverage means I don't have to. Every year I keep the weekend free, open the patio doors, and chill the beer. A live set from a legend of music is never not amazing. It is never not tingling or electric. Yesterday I watched Kylie and The Cure and they collectively made all my cares melt away. On Saturday I drank beer and belted out every Killers hit, with wild abandon. And when The Pet Shop Boys and Johnny Marr turned up? Well let's just say I was a million mental miles away from the random shite politicians say to appeal to their current base. Now it's Monday morning and Glastonbury may be technically over but BBC iPlayer has it all there. I'm going to watch stuff I missed at the time, as well as relive my favourite sets. If you don't fancy any of that, go to the pub and watch a band. Play music loudly in the car. Blast out show tunes as you shower. Music takes us away from ourselves. For the length of a song, a live set, or both acts of a West End musical if you happen to know one off by heart. (I do. It's Rent. I can perform it in its entirety, any time you like.)

Mouse has just heard how much I loved Tales of the City.
Treat Your Eyes...
I watched Russell T Davis' Years and Years recently, and it was excellent. In an attempt to escape the populist rising of far right politics and the grooming of a country into accepting death camps, it was, however, a little on the nose. And despite everyone who has watched Chernobyl urging me to change my mind, I am giving that a miss. I just need something less... apocalyptic at the moment. So instead, I've submerged myself in escapism. Realism can return another day, but for now I want to be taken away from all this. The second series of Killing Eve is just right. Thrilling, slick, and too comedic to be taken as a serious look at murder. I've hoovered that up this week. Then there's my old friend, Tales of the City. For ten glorious hours, I was transported to San Francisco, where kindness and love won over hate and ignorance. I've also made use of the steady stream of Netflix movies that pop up regularly. Always Be My Maybe, Murder Mystery, Wine Country - all fun, light-hearted, and a bit daft. Sometimes, that's the only way to unwind. The news will still be there, but my ability to stomach it is replenished from an hour and a half away.

No filter, taken with no concentration.
Look how lovely it is.
Treat the Rest of You...
Now steady on. I'm going to talk about the outdoors. About - and I'll say it quickly - natureI need a full week of antihistamines before I venture out into woodland, I'm not reckless. Yet, getting outside and walking about a bit does seem to perk me up. Whether it's around the park, or along the river, I've got a few scenic options within a twenty minute drive. The world's my oyster, and it contains a fluttering breeze, the salty ozone, the crunch of leaves underfoot and all sorts of other poetic sensory shit. I listen to podcasts as I walk. When I really want to escape, Adam Buxton is my preferred choice. His hour long interviews with fellow comedians are gently hysterical. I've quite literally LOLZed in public, strolling past random picnickers as something in my ear has amused me. When I'm feeling I can stomach a little more grit, I listen to the Remaniacs podcast. It might focus on the political meltdown of the country post-referendum, but at least it gives me heart that I'm not the only person to feel like I do. It doesn't matter what I listen to though. The exercise, the fresh air, and the feeling of doing instead of thinking is welcome. (Over-thinking is an occupational hazard. If I had a physically exerting job, perhaps I'd do Sudokus to unwind.)


The Neph's FaceTime
portrait of me (balls included)
made me laugh a lot. 
I have other methods for living joyfully in the face of negativity. FaceTiming the Niece and Neph is an obvious one. They're at an age where I can make a joke with a punchline of 'poo', and they will laugh. (I am sure this humour will have a shelf life.) Alternatively, I can cook something new. Following a recipe and carefully measuring ingredients focuses on the nurturing creation of scrumptiousness. All negative thoughts are pushed right out of the kitchen. And then there are books. I check Twitter way too much. If I read a page of a novel every time I scrolled, I'd get through several books a week. Like I used to, you know? Before Twitter was invented. And finally, there's the football. You might not be interested in the FIFA Women's World Cup, or sport in general. But the photo of USA's Megan Rapinoe, standing tall, head raised, proudly celebrating her goal is an image that fills me with untold strength. Not only has she excelled at her job under the normal pressures of high stakes team sports, but she's also had the president of her county slag her off via Twitter. (She responds eloquently, yet firmly, here.) She deserves her pride, and I love how unapologetic she is about it. (This doesn't change the fact I still need England to beat the USA tomorrow. Come on Lionesses!)

Megan Rapinoe. I can't kick a ball like her, but
I can definitely celebrate my achievements
with as much pride.
(Image Credits:
Creator: Elsa
Copyright: 2019 Getty Images)
Look, the world was probably always full of horrors. We just knew less about them back then. I don't believe we're witnessing anything new. Everything is cyclical, after all. At least that's what is less worrying to believe. Our job, I think, is to stand up and challenge injustice when we can. Do what is possible, and find solidarity amongst others. And then, at other times, accept when that is personally too hard. Regular self-care and recharging are essential. Finding strength in an escapist film, or in the image of an exceptional sportsperson, can fuel and replenish our energy. And living joyfully, proudly, and finding pleasure in the mundane, can be downright subversive. Power to the people. 

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment