Monday 15 July 2019

Search History Blues...

This is Kermit, giving you his
dramatic interpretation of my life.
We're three weeks into the writing of Book Three. It's flown, by, hasn't it. How's it going for you? That's excellent. I'm made up for you. Me? I'm grand thanks. I've got seven chapters completed, making a total of 14054 words. I'm well into the flow and hitting my daily target every time I type. Hurrah. Things are going nicely. 


This is a snapshot of the searches
 I made when writing last week's blog.
The only aspect that disrupts the creative juices is the pesky inconvenience of authenticity. You know, fact-checking. Research. Sometimes in the middle of writing a chapter, I realise I need to know something specific and have to choose whether to hit Google and look it up, or wait until later. It would stop my train of thought and those lovely free flowing sentences, but is essential if I want to get it right there and then. Sometimes I leave a bunch of dashes, or highlight in yellow the sentence that needs the specific info. Other times I press pause on my thoughts and follow the trail of websites that an initial search offers me. Either way, my search history is interesting.


Some of the characters from
this story  feature in the new one.
I'm going to share that search history with you now. Or at least the questions I Googled that brought up the websites within it. Not every single thing I've searched in the past week. Lordy, can you imagine? No, just the stuff that relates to the new book. Call this an early teaser if you like. I'm writing a story that involves some of the characters from Carry the Beautiful. If you've read that, this might pique your interest. Alternatively, marvel in wonder at how such a random bunch of necessary information can be woven into what aims to be, a realistic story. A story of everyday people dealing with the challenges of life. Either way, it's an interesting bunch of searches, whether you know the context or not. Can the early plot be deciphered through these clues? I'd bet money, not. Don't listen to me, though. See what you think.

NICKY'S SEARCHES RELATING TO THE FIRST SEVEN CHAPTERS.

What are some obscure sexual fetishes?
Spelling of conjure (UK)
Jobs for Office Mangers in York law firms
Do seasons have capital letters?
What herbal pills calm nerves?
How do you spell umami?
What sound does a seagull make?
What are common menopause symptoms?
Google Images - The bandstand in Aberystwyth
Google Images - sunsets
When did Led Zeppelin play at the bandstand in Aberystwyth?
What forms need to be signed when buying a house?
The stages of grief
Does York have Uber?
Does 'wing men' have a hyphen?
Double barrelled names that sound posh
Google Maps - York
Google Maps - Stockport
Google Maps - Aberystwyth

So that's where we're up to. Between fetishes, spellings, and poring over town-centre maps, it's any wonder I've got 14000 words done at all. I shall keep plodding on. I'm delighted to be completing two chapters a week. That's about 4000 words, and almost 6% of the intended length of the whole thing. If I keep it up, I'll have the first draft done by November. And then the real work begins. I have to make it not shit. The struggle is real.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment