Monday 3 December 2018

Festive Viewing, Part Two...


I know, I know. I can tell what you're thinking. It doesn't seem two minutes since my Festive Viewing, Part One guide, does it? Where HAS the time gone? Can you believe it has been a whole month since I urged you commence your Christmas TV viewing schedule? If you need a reminder, here's a recap. But, let's be honest, it's way too late to catch up now. All you can do is jump in feet first at this later stage, and hope you can whip up the good cheer that some of us have been madly excreting for the past month. 

If you've timed it right however, you've spent November gorging on the preliminaries, and now it's time to bring out the big guns. Christmas films! These can be watched in any order, but I have a personal system. I work from my least to my most favourite, getting progressively more Christmassy as the 25th approaches. You've got to make it work for you, it's your festive season, not mine. So, let's stop all this jibber-jabber and get cracking. Seatbelts on, tray tables up, and we're off. Festive films - let's go!

Not necessarily the best Christmas film ever, but the most realistic depiction of a fictional primary school that I can think of. The scenes where Martin Freeman teaches his class, are spot on. Especially his grumpiness and the way he has a quiet word with the kid that's messing about. You get the impression he did a bit of research by siting at the back of a teacher mate's classroom, watching how things go down. It's not just enjoyable for a realistic school depiction though. There are cute kids, emotive songs, and a heartwarming plot. Plus a final section that takes place in the ruins of Coventry catherdral under a twinkly night's sky. All very cockle-warming.

Let's be frank. This 1983 film contains both subtle and overt racism, two wholly unnecessary topless scenes, and implied bestiality. Happy Christmas everyone! Apart from 'all that', it holds up fairly well. Eddie Murphy is brilliant, the plot is pacy and interesting, and the ending is satisfying. The seasonal aspect to the film is almost incidental. It doesn't need to be set at Christmas to tell the story, but that's when it is, and so it's part of the viewing schedule. It delivers the message that kindness and respect are more important than wealth and social standing. The rich white guys turn out to be the nasty baddies, and the street wise prostitute and black grifter are the heroes we root for. Wince at the dated/offensive moments as they crop up, by all means, but relish every single moment that Eddie Murphy is on screen. 

It's fascinating that I love this film, when I find all four main characters insufferable. But I really do. Kate Winslet is the quaint-English-cottage-dwelling journalist who house-swaps over Christmas with LA-based movie trailer maker, Cameron Diaz. Their lives are polar opposites but both are unhappy in love. It should come as NO SURPRISE that as the film unfolds, they both get it on with local men - an insipid Jude Law and a sedated Jack Black - and a happy new year is had by all. Look, I know it sounds like I hate it, but I really don't. The inclusion of Eli Wallach as an elderly neighbour saves the whole film for me. Plus, the score lifts every scene. I tend to watch this as I'm cooking so I can watch the bits I love, tune out the parts that I find a bit cringe, and let the music fill the kitchen with loveliness.

This poses the question, 'Is the ideal man unconscious?' But as it asks that, it's also Christmas! The plot's a bit daft, but there are heart-warming moments to be had. After single and orphaned Lucy is invited to her pretend, unconscious, fiancé's family home for Christmas dinner, - still following? - the camera pans across the chattering family members as Lucy takes it all in. We see her experience being in the bosom* of a family for the first time in ages. It's so good. And then the plot kicks in and misunderstandings abound. But still. It's a lovely film. And there's snow too.

You know you want to. Treat yourself. It's time. Home Alone can never come too early in the run up. But then leaving it too late is a disaster. It's to be fully enjoyed, not squeezed in between wrapping presents and addressing envelopes. Timing and balance are everything. When you do sit down to wallow in Kevin's parent-free status, there's a game to play. In every scene, check out how many things you can see that are red and green. Whether it's costumes, props, home furnishings, or scenery - red and green are everywhere. It will blow your mind. (Except the scenes in France. They're filled with harshly unfestive blue. Booo.) 

I fell out of love, actually, with Love Actually for a while. There was something a bit off about the objectification of the female characters. They were stunning but with no personality. They were worshipped but had no agency. The exception was Emma Thompson. Her character had more going for it. She had a voice but was also depicted as fat and old. (She was neither!) And she had to put up with her story being the only one that ended unhappily against her will. I stopped watching it for a few years, with the view that it was of its time. But then last year on a random whim, I bought a ticket to watch a big screen viewing with a live orchestra. Despite my misgivings, the tingles it caused were beyond description. A live orchestra is always a bit tingly, but one playing the music that accompanies Colin Firth striding down the Portuguese street on the way to propose to the woman he loves, should be part of the dictionary definitions of SOARING, UPLIFTING, and GOOSEBUMPY. I've readmitted LA to my list now. Like The Holiday, the music carries it far. An excellent accompaniment to Christmas cooking.

As far as Elf goes, I'm a recent convert. I saw it for the first time three years ago, having avoided it till then because I was an adult and it looked liked a kids' film. Yeah, I was wrong. I know that now. It's properly boss. Laugh out loud funny, great for kids and adults alike, and full of quotable, meme-able moments. I save Elf for mid-December, but once I've broken the seal, it can be repeated on any quiet evening, as often as you like. It does not get old. Not ever. 'SMILING'S MY FAVOURITE.'

Now this ticks ALL my boxes. It's dark, it's bleak, and for much of the film, fairly depressing. The constant threat of financial ruin, the responsibility of running the town's Savings and Loan, and feelings of a life unfulfilled - George Bailey is dealing with a lot. We spend the vast majority of the 2 hour 10 minute running time with him in the depths of despair as he sees his life falling apart around him.  For a while it feels like the pay off is never going to come, but when it does, it's so sweet. The final fifteen minutes make it all worthwhile. A yearly treat, not to be missed.


Yay for a bit more black and white. It's a close call but I prefer this to the 1994 remake. Once again, this is a fuzzy fest of a romp that leaves tingles all over the show. (There's a bit of a theme here. I do like them tingles.) As a child who wasn't led to believe Father Christmas was real (because, well, he isn't. And it doesn't stop the jollity of the story just because you know the truth) I do find the plot fun. Because you can watch elderly Kris Kringle tell everyone he is Santa, see the adults assume he is mad, and then have the children's letters from the postal service save the day, whether you've been led to believe in the story, or not. It doesn't matter. It works either way, as lovely fictional fun. (For extra lols, click the link on the title above. The trailer is QUITE something. The golden age of Hollywood and all that.)

I don't even care that I just said I prefer the 1947 version. This one's got Matilda in it. FTW. Almost exactly the same in every way, except in colour. And despite me expressing a preference in the previous paragraph, it is perfectly acceptable to watch both films with equal gusto in your Christmas viewing schedules. 


A Very Murray Christmas
I think this is my actual favourite. I save it for the last few days of giddy build-up before the hosting jobs start. But be warned, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Put simply, it's like an old-skool Christmas special of yesteryear, except one that has nothing to do with Santa, children, or nativities. It's for secular, cynical, child-free adults - a demographic I happily embace. The premise is that Bill Murray is snowed in at the Carlyle Hotel in New York. His one-man show has been cancelled as no one can travel to see him. He grumpily sings his way through an impromptu evening of drink and food with 'waiters', 'his management staff', and 'other hotel guests' as random famous people pop up to 'do a turn'. Poehler, Clooney, Rock, Cyrus - it sounds terrible, but it's not. It's Christmas without the schmaltz. Christmas for adults. It's to be watched with the lights out, whilst swilling a good malt around a glass. And I don't even like malt. Whatever malt is.

So there we are. Assuming we've consulted our Festive Viewing Calendars on a daily basis, we should be up to speed. It's now Christmas Eve or thereabouts. Have you defrosted the turkey? Is the smell of Nigella's 24-hour ham wafting through the tinsel? Are you READY? There are a couple of days of lull or panic now, depending on your plans, and then it's time for my Festive Viewing, Part Three. Oh yes, it's not over yet. No way. There's a huge amount of potential for utilising the post-Christmas slump between Boxing Day and the first week of January. I'll be back nearer the time to advise accordingly. Till then, enjoy the glow! Feliz Navidad! Fröhliche Weihnachten! Joyeux Noël! God Jul!

Have a lovely week, folks.


*tee hee


No comments:

Post a Comment