Monday 24 September 2018

Dear Universe...

I've been thinking a lot about cosmic ordering this week. You? No? Fair enough.


Actual satellite footage.
(Not really.)
I only know the phrase because of Noel Edmonds. A few years ago, he wrote a book called Positively Happy about how - and I'm massively paraphrasing here - the secret of happiness is to ask the universe for the things you want, and then stand back and wait for them to be given to you. And they will, because the universe will respond to your energy. In this article, Noel says, 'When I first started in radio, I had a dream of owning a helicopter and racing powerboats. Now I do both.' So there you go. It's that easy. Disclaimer: I haven't read the book, but I have read articles about the book, which in 2018 is as much as anyone can expect, surely. 

The idea of putting out a request to the universe - AKA cosmic ordering - is not new. As Melanie McDonagh points out here, it sounds like another way of describing prayer. Except maybe people don't pray for helicopters and powerboats, but instead pray at their most desperate times? For a loved one's health, or to be rescued from the depths of despair. Either way, asking the universe to give you lovely things is just the same isn't it? Answers on a postcard, I've no idea.


And I believe the children are the future.
(Not really. I believe in Science too, Hillary.)
As for me, I consider myself spiritually arid. A dry husk of a thing when it comes to faith and belief. Despite the fact I barely scraped a C in GCSE Dual Award Science (three sciences for the price of two grades - bargain!) I maintain a soft spot for empirical research. As a student of Psychology I learnt that nothing can be fundamentally proven. But I also learnt that statistical analysis can be applied to research data, which can then conclude that an incidence is mathematically probable to reoccur in similar circumstances. Anything less tangible than that, doesn't really work for me. 

And yet - yes, there's an and yet - since I went on my slightly mortifying but definitely interesting networking course three weeks ago, (more about that here) I've made a bigger effort to - as the saying goes - put myself out there. Nothing major. My personality doesn't lend itself to being confident when sober. But in little ways, I've pushed myself towards the more action-packed end of the proactive/reactive scale. I've sent some emails to publisher people. I've chased up things I've been putting off for my next book. I've even sent my manuscript to children I don't know (via someone who does) for their unfiltered critique. I've made an effort. For me, anyway. 


Me and a friend (you can choose
whether I'm Robin or Barney)
 celebrating that the cosmos
has made all my dreams come true.*
And has the universe paid me back? Well, obviously I'm still waiting for that ten-book publishing deal and the gazillion pound advance to fall into my lap. (Any time you want, Universe!) But, here's the thing. Stuff has happened. A friend of mine got talking to a client at work. She told him she runs a writers' group. He told her about me. She passed on her details. I emailed her. She told me about the group and I went. Yes, I attended my first writers' group meeting! I also read out a short burst of my new book - a bit I'd rewritten that week. Everyone was lovely. It was great. I walked out feeling slightly less isolated than I had felt before. The universe had paid me back. 

Look, I'm still not buying the cosmic ordering thing. But I really like how opening myself up to a bit of possibility, ended up providing a bit of possibility. Weird, huh? Maybe I should read Noel's book now. I can sort the rest of my life out AND get a helicopter. Win.

Have a lovely week, folks.

*The fact that there's a chippy near to where I grew up called the Cosmos, makes this whole sentence widely comedic. To me, anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment