Monday 12 August 2024

Digital Detoxes, Waffly Words, and Cop Show Capers...

Every so often, the guy that owns Twitter, will say something on Twitter that lots of people on Twitter consider beyond the pale. (Too many Twitters? It's not even its name these days, lolzzz) And when that happens, there's an influx of new users onto alternative platforms. It happened again last week. I'm not sure what the Twitter guy said this time. All I know is that I stopped scrolling not long after he bought it. 

Joe Biden is speaking at a podium, talking to a crowd. The caption reads, 'We're done with the Tweets.'
Yep. Me too.
I took my particular brand of wit, political hunger, and book chat to Threads, which had just started. And you know what, Threads is pretty good. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. The thing people don't get is that you have to train Threads to know what you like. You have to engage, post, and comment. That way, the algorithm learns what you're into, and suggests relevant stuff. Don't think of it as an echo chamber. Consider it a place where extremist rhetoric isn't pushed. I follow the people I like, and I see other suggested posts on the daily. (I also see the odd wrongun, but that's an easy block.) My algorithm is a mix of writers, news outlets, and politics. Pretty much like my Twitter timeline used to be. But why am I telling you this now? 

A man is wearing a white robe, and is wearing a face  mask sheet. Only his eyes and mouth are visible. He has one cucumber slice over one eye, takes a bite of another piece of cucumber before putting it on the other eye.
Me, from next week
Well, there are two reasons. Firstly, I heard a journalist talking on a podcast last week. She was discussing how Twitter is getting harder to justify using, but that Threads wasn't newsy or political so was of no use to her. So, that's wrong. She just hasn't trained her algorithm. She might not want to take the time or have the hassle, but it's definitely newsy and political if you want it to be. The second reason I'm bringing this up now is that I'm going to stop posting this blog on Twitter. It's all I use it for, every Monday. I don't scroll or engage, but I've continued to post this blog. That stops after today. If the ownership changes, and threats of violence and abuse are no longer platformed, then I could return. But for now, the app is deleted. Oooh, the detoxification! How healthy! I might do a face mask next.

Writing News
I'm still tidying up the planning document for the next book. (Leeza McAuliffe Book Three - working title.)  I've got a bulletpoint list of what happens in each of the twelve chapters. Right now it's running at 12,500 words - I have GOT to stop adding to it. The whole book will be around the 60,000 word mark, so this document is an absolute mofo. Madness! The thing is, now is the time I can see the whole story in its entirety. Once I start writing, it'll become sprawling and massive. When I'm 37,000 words in and writing chapter seven, I won't remember the tiny details I added in the second chapter, that I want to reference or build on. It'll all be too much. So before I get to the writing phase, I need every single important detail on the document. That's my excuse anyway. Seriously, 12,500 words is ridiculous for a plan.

A mixed race, young woman, and an older, white man, are walking and talking along the pavement. She's wearing dark blue trouser suit and looks professional. He's wearing a beige anorak over his shirt, tie and jumper, and looks out of his depth compared to her. He's lagging behind as he speaks.
McDonald and Dodds
Culture
The summer cinema listings are not for me. If I were responsible for the entertainment of children or teens then it'd be a different story, but my childfree, adult self is hanging on for Autumn. At home, however, I watched Anyone But You. It'd been recommended by a couple of people, and it was fun. A perfectly serviceable romcom. The reason I was eventually moved to watch, was because it was set/filmed around Palm Beach in Sydney - and I've been there! I didn't especially recognise the place but it bought back happy memories. And now in middle-aged news, I've got the news series of McDonald and Dodds stacked up on my planner. A bunch of two-hour crime dramas, set in Bath with an odd couple detective duo? YES PLEASE.

A blue tupperware style tub with out the lid. It's sitting on a desk, with a mug of tea and a spoon next to it. The edge of a laptop and some pink post it notes are visible at the side. Inside the tub there is a scattering of seeds, nuts, and dried berries, over some white yogurt mixture. Some larger cherries are poking through.
Today's packed lunch
Food and Drink
I'm back on the overnight oats, folks. Now I've restarted the writing routine, I need a packed lunch that I can eat at my desk. The days when I root through the fridge and rustle up something on the hoof are on pause. It's oats in a tub from now on. My current choice of fillings (do oats have a filling?) are yogurt, honey, chia seeds, cherries, and a seed crunch topping. Rock and roll. 

Half my face, wearing a hat and scarf, is visible at the side of the photo. Stretching out into the background behind me is a country footpath alongside a field.
Me, December 2018, not
triggered, enjoying the
footpath near my gaff
Out and About
I was carless and housebound for a couple of days last week. The good news is that I was busy writing the mofo planning doc so that kept me busy. But it meant my daily walks were relegated to the loop around my house. Relegated sounds derogatory, and I don't mean to be rude. The immediate area around my house is perfectly lovely. There are fields, footpaths, and scenery. (For balance there's also motorways, traffic fumes, and overgrown, scratchy hedgerows.) The trouble is, that loop was my daily hour's exercise during the first lockdown. Rewalking the route today was mildly triggering. I'll be happier this week now my car is back and I can access my parks once again.

In the unlikely event that you only access my stuff via Twitter and you want to keep in touch, check out my Linktree in the profile. All my socials are on there. I'm most active on Threads and Insta. But you know what? Just subscribe to this blog in the box at the top. It's  loads easier, free, and you don't have to wade through hatred and abuse to find it. Win!

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment