Monday 2 October 2023

Word Vomit For Your Pleasure...

It's a mish-mash of images in quick rotation. The caption says,  'Hello october' and then the images rotate. A picture of autumn leaves, orange candies, pumpkins, sunsets over bare trees, pumpkins in a field... that sort of thing.
Hello October! Hello pumpkins and apples and jumpers and soups and boots and socks and coats and frost and harvest and corn and leaves and chestnuts and conkers and witches and spirits and sprites and bats and webs and candles and blankets and spices and lanterns and autumn and fall and hay bales and scarecrows and wellies and tricks and treats and costumes and squash and stews and loveliness. 

Seth Myers is sitting at his desk. He's listening to someone give him feedback off camera. He's making notes, looks confused, writes slowly at first, and then writes fast and presumably scruffily.
Writing News 
I use too many apostrophes, my child character Leeza sometimes sounds like adult me, and I've mined my family anecdotes for content. Yes, yes, and YES to all the above. Yep, the family feedback is still coming in. It's so useful, and forces me to think hard about every single point raised. Sometimes I choose to ignore the specific suggestion but only after lots of thought. Often it's blatantly obvious that an edit is needed. Either way, it's all so interesting and illuminating. 

The captions reads, 'This is a new frontier, my sexually repressed friend,' and Otis and Eric of Sex Education walk into the school building. There are other students milling about in the background.
Culture News 
Ahhh. The last series of Sex Education has dropped. It's marvellous. It depicts teen sexuality both graphically and amusingly, in a myriad of ways. It can't be accused of focusing too much on heteronormative relationships; so many people get to be represented. As such, it's a positive and educational force for good. How marvellous would it have been to watch this when I was twelve or thirteen. It's certainly kicks Just Seventeen's problem page into touch. Sigh. I'll really miss those characters.

A plate of food. Veggie balls - seven small brown balls - with a dollop of mashed potato, green beans, carrots, red lingonberry jam, and gräddsås sauce - a light brown creamy sauce.
Veggie balls! And veg, mash,
gräddsås sauce and lingonberry.
Food and Drink 
In a bid to get some steps in on a cold day, I went to Ikea. It was, happily, a calm vibe that afternoon. No couples seemed on the verge of divorce over to Billy bookcase differences. That was good. With no immediate need for furniture, I paced along the arrows and came out by the food section. So here's what I bought... veggie Swedish meatballs. (The actual product was called Vegetarian Balls but that sounds like a playground taunt.) I used to like proper Swedish meatballs but I've binned them off along with the rest of the meats. But lo, veggie Swedish meatballs fill their void admirably. (Disclaimer: they don't taste of meatballs. They taste of veg. In a ball.) As the real heavy lifters on the plate are the mashed potato, gräddsås sauce, and lingonberry, it doesn't matter what form your food balls take. That's my opinion, anyway.

Out and About 
I went boozing by my friend's gaff last week. Orrell! Thank you for having me. I also went to another friend's gaff for cocktails and canapés - get me! And then of course there was an epic quest to a Mancunian Argos to replace a broken charger. I remain committed, as ever, to living the dream. 

The good news about me spewing October word association vomit over the opening of this post, is that there's something for everyone. Not fussed about Halloween? Focus on the soups. Can't be faffed with the harvest festivals and bales of hay? Plan your duck apple celebrations. October is now officially your oyster. Embrace it!

Have a lovely week, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment