Monday 30 October 2023

Limbo, Py-Jams, and the Reacher of my Mind...

A character from the UK advert for Compare the Market. It's a meerkat, snuggling in bed, wearing blue and white checked PJs with a Wee Willie Winkie hat.
Artist's impression of me
in my py-jams*.
The heating's on for a burst a day, I'm sleeping in PJ bottoms instead of my usual T-shirt/knickers combo, and as I type this, I'm looking out at thick fog. Yes, the warm weather appears to be over. I can officially confirm my head feels right again. Throw in the recent clock change and I'm positively fizzing with joie de vivre. I only hope you're enjoying it too. 

Soon - this very week, in fact - I have to start the Christmas admin. That means my family will be receiving an email reminding them of the Secret Santa organisation. It's not technically secret but it does mean we only buy one present for one adult family member, instead of eleven. Once that's sent, the season's officially open. Mark it in your diaries, people, we're on the way!

A dog, wearing a shirt, with glasses and a notebook next to them on the table, is staring at an Apple Mac screen and typing away. The caption reads, 'I have no idea what I'm doing.'
Writing News
I'm in a limbo period at the moment. Just waiting on some other people to get back to me. So before the madness of promotion starts, I'm cleaning up a few bits and pieces online. Last week I fixed a dodgy page on my website. It's been fine on the desktop version, but the mobile phone view wasn't showing the About Nicky page properly. I - technical term incoming - titted about for a bit and worked out what to do. I was so proud. Later, I successfully managed to switch the Twitter thread (at the side of the desktop view of this blog) for my Threads thread. (Threads thread? Does that sound right?) Whenever anything involves code I feel ridiculously proud of myself. It's like I've accurately translated** an ancient text from a long forgotten language, except it's like futuristic gobbledygook instead. Either way, I feel like an astrophysicist doing VERY TECHNICAL THINGS. Applaud me.

Alan Ritchson as Reacher is sitting outside, lifting a mug to his mouth. He is a big guy. His short hair is brushed neatly and he has some facial scars from a recent fight. He looks calm yet quizzical as he sips.
Reacher. Like they reached into
my head and created the image
I had for him.
Culture
As last week's blog foreshadowed, I've been filling my boots with scary films. Except, unlike last week's blog - the one that offered a wide range of viewing choices - I've only managed to work my way through the Scream franchise. I make no apologies for this. It's brilliant. But I am aware how one note my week's been. In a bid to mix things up, I revisited the Amazon Prime series, Reacher. (Alan Ritchson is SO well cast as Jack Reacher. I'm giving a standing ovation to whoever made that decision.) Apparently there's a new series coming in December and I am here for it.

A wooden tray with dishes laid out. There is a big oval plate with a large blackened piece of salmon fillet. A garnish of rocket eaves surrounds it. Then there's a wooden bowl of flatbread pieces. There's a small bowl with chopped tomatoes, and a dish with a pale green dip inside. A glass of white wine completes the picture.
Mofo marinated salmon, flatbread
shards, tomato salsa, and coriander
yoghurt. Wine is model's own.
Food and Drink
Did I tell you I had a fish man? It was long overdue what with my growing dissatisfaction with supermarket fish aisles. Now I can get my salmon skinned (not a euphemism!) and a wide range of all sorts of stuff. If you look at the picture, you'll see a recent mofo piece of salmon. (Marinaded in gochujang, soy, honey, and white wine vinegar, and cooked with ginger, chilli, and garlic. Serve with chunks of flatbread and some sort of dip. I went with natural yogurt whizzed up with coriander.)

Out and About
Nandos and bowling? Is that like Netflix and chill? I can confirm, after Friday, it is not. It's literally a chicken-based restaurant and a bowling alley. No matter! I had fun regardless. 

Have a lovely week, folks. 

*Does anyone else in the world call them py-jams? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? 
Nope. I thought not. Just my Grandma then.

**Not translated for even a second. I just found a website that would convert my Threads URL into code that could be added to the blog. I literally copied and pasted it, but still. VERY TECHNICAL THINGS.

2 comments:

  1. Greeting from down under Nicky an interesting read Love to you and all those Siblings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Anonymous in Australia! Thanks for reading x

      Delete