Monday 23 October 2023

whooOOOOOOooo...

An animation of a skeleton waving, on a black background. There caption says 'It's Spooky Season.'
I'm not a Halloween fan. You do you, of course, but I tend to let it pass me by. The end of October's exciting enough without costumes, tricks, or treats. There's the loveliest of the clock-changes, for one. Plus my days are filled with festive feelings before shit's got real. But that puts me out of step with all sorts of people. All sorts of people who live nearby and who've decorated their houses with cobwebs and massive ghosts. Halloween is most definitely in the air.

So with an 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' spirit, I'm getting involved. Involved on my terms, that is. I absolutely refuse to green-light my house and spend hours chipping away at a pumpkin. I will, however, give some spooky movies a watch. Of course, there are caveats with that too. I'm not a big spooky movie fan. You can keep your Exorcists, your Poltergeists, your Candymans. You can keep your Freddie Kruegers, your Michael Myers' and your Psychos. I'm looking for a cosier, more humorous end to October. 

So I've curated a list. A selection of films that fit the season but work for my tastes. Looking through, it's clear I have definite criteria. There's nothing too scary and they should ideally be funny or satirical. A high school setting is always a winner and a retro 80s vibe will help ease me in. What there isn't, is real, horrific, peril. I'm just not into that. The nearest I've got is Scream and that's still balanced out with dark humour. The rest are more easily described as daft, camp, fun. Which, as we all know, is the absolute best kind.

My absolute favourite. A high school setting, a killer on the loose, satire, sass, a small town, a cast of suspects, meta references and smart dialogue. This will always be my favourite scary movie. And once you've watched the first one, you've got Scream 2, Scream 3, Scream 4, Scream 5, and Scream 6 to keep you going. All excellent riffs on a theme.

The epitome of daft, camp, fun. Based on the boardgames Cluedo (Clue in the US) this involves a country mansion, a collection of dinner guests, a dead body, and utter farce. If you watch it today, the film offers three alternate endings. When it came out in the cinema, different screenings had different final scenes. Can you imagine? There's some casual bigotry that doesn't hold up so well but the concept remains strong. 

Not intentionally funny, this high school vampire lark still manages to cause me amusement with its intense earnestness. And high school romances are a favourite trope of mine. Who says vampires can't find love over their science projects?

There's an original that I saw once but I prefer the remake. Young teen, Charley, becomes convinced his next door neighbour is a vampire. And whaddaya know? He is! I love how it shows the isolation of Las Vegas living, away from the strip. And David Tennant's cameo as a Vegas vampire-hunter showman, is glorious. 

Another house full of people to be killed/be suspected of killing. This one is a recent release and satirises Gen Z as the story unfolds. Quite gruesome in parts, with some actual peril for the characters but the edge is taken off by the humour. 

There's something cosy about this amidst all the creep. A move to their Grandad's small town means brothers Michael and Sam run into the local gang. Except there's something a bit undead about them. Cracking music and pure 80s vibes, this is one of my faves.

I only saw the original Ghostbuster quite late in the day - I was 38! - so the 2016 remake was a big win for me. Filled with funny woman, special effects, and Chris Helmsworth being ridiculous, it's a big screen shebang with lots of kapow.

If you're wanting more of a small screen scare, this is one of my favourite David Suchet Poirot episodes. With a screenplay by Mark Gatiss, it offers enough spooky fun to fit the season whilst keeping within the format of the show. It's also what Kenneth Branagh's recent cinema release, A Haunting in Venice, was based on. I'd say, very loosely based, is more accurate. 

Michelle Williams plays Jen Lindley in Dawson's Creek. She's standing in her kitchen, with a cordless phone in her hand. The scene looks very similar to the Drew Barrymore in the opening scene of Scream.
Let's end with another small screen offering. Dawson's Creek's screenwriter - Kevin Williamson - also wrote Scream. Smart teens dealing with horror? He's got this. Series 1, Episode 11 takes place on Friday 13th, with Dawson trying to scare his friends whilst a real serial killer is on the loose. Then in Series 3, Episode 7, the gang find themselves trapped on Witch Island overnight. It's a rip off/homage to the Blair Witch Project and is as spooky as it sounds. Everyone's fine in the end and the characters live to see a few more series. It's a lovely spooky blip in the midst of relationship angst. No real harm done.

So there you go. What do you reckon? Are you already full of the joy of Halloween films or has this whetted your appetite? There are some obvious omissions of course. If you Google 'Halloween Movies' the one that comes up over and over is Hocus Pocus. I saw it once and I liked it. Or Death Become Her? Or Halloween? Or... I could go on. Like, forever. There's loads of them out there. But it's time to wrap this up. However you spend Tuesday evening, may it be as spooky or non-spooky as your heart desires. 

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment