Monday 11 September 2023

A Seasonal Reset and Fish...

A close up of my face, looking slightly smily, slightly amused. My jaw is resting on my hand. I have brown hair but with a blonde streak at the front. My make up is basic and natural-looking.
Waiting for my reset
Well here we are. A new school year, a new start for my head. My brain needs a good reset now and then, doesn't yours? Without it, my energy tends to peter out. No matter what I'm doing, I can only maintain enthusiasm for so long. But, a change of season sorts me out (as well as the holiday from which I've just returned.) Of course, arriving back to 30℃ temperatures wasn't ideal. My head said September, my body said sweaty cow riddled with brain fog. Still, the ninth month has arrived, the weather will cool at some point, and a new start is upon us all.  

The front cover of Leeza McAuliffe Has Something to Say by Nicky Bond (me). The cover has a turquoise colour and an illustration of Leeza. She is holding a notepad and pen, and looking thoughtful. She's an oldish child, with a vest top over a t shirt, and an A line skirt.
Old Leeza is here, if
you want to catch-up
or refresh.
Writing News
I've had a decent break from even thinking about the next Leeza McAuliffe book, so I'm raring to get back to it. I'm still working through the edits and I've still got people in the field (not a literal field) giving me insights. It's all chugging along nicely.

I read an excellent book on the flight. Rodham by Cutis Sittenfeld. It's a sliding doors tale of what it might've looked like had Hillary Rodham Clinton not married Bill. It had enough politics for my nerdy tastes as well as the human interest story of a brilliant woman living her life. It's been a week, and I'm still thinking about it. I also reread the YA novel, Camp, by LC Rosen. I love this book and it was  joy to revisit the characters. Loads of heart, realistic depictions of teen lust, and decent messaging about being yourself, to boot. I loved it. Finally I continued to work my way through Val McDermid's Karen Pirie series with The Skeleton Road. A hands down grippy thriller. All great reads, that passed the time on trains, flights, and departure lounges.

The waterfront at Halifax. There are a selection of outside restaurants and cafes. The sky is blue, and the sea is in the distance. It's clearly a warm day as people are wearing summer clothes. It feels relaxing just to look at it. There are sun umbrellas up at tables and a string of fairy lights between posts.
Halifax Waterfront.
I will imagine this
every time I eat
fish fingers
.
Food and Drink
After having spent a sizeable chunk of the past week in Halifax, Nova Scotia, I can confirm that eating fresh seafood at outdoor waterfront restaurants is the only way I wish to consume meals from now on. However, as I live in a landlocked village, in a country that appears to have greatly inconvenienced the fishing industry with the changes from Brexit, I fear I'll have to dream on. Anyhoo. At my last food shop, I raided the fish aisle. I've now got lots of salmon, prawns, and mackerel in the fridge, waiting to be devoured. If I close my eyes and pretend I'm on a sea front, it might be the same? No?

Out and About
Nothing to report since my holiday. But that's fine. I've mainly been battling jet lag since my return. It's been a systematic process. On day one, I'd had ten hours sleep but still had to force myself to get up a noon. The following day I managed to prise myself from my bed at 11am. The next day, it was 10.30am. Some day soon, I'll be perkily switching my alarm off at the usual 8am. 

So here's to new starts. I'm hoping there's some cooler weather on the way, and my reinvigorated energy levels last for a decent chunk of time. I cannot tell you how excited I am for jumper season. You heard it here first.

Have a lovely week, folks

No comments:

Post a Comment