Monday 27 March 2023

Birthdays, Bangers, and Books...

Phoebe from Friends is playing the guitar and singing Happy Birthday.
Ah, cheers Phoebs!
Since my last post, I've turned forty-five. I don't usually enjoy being an odd number, but a multiple of five is better than a double-digit ending in one, three, or seven. (IMHO. I've found some people don't care either way. Weird.) Besides all that, the person I live with also had a birthday and turned fifty. My multiple of five was over shadowed and pushed out of the way by a multiple of ten. Shit happens. The upshot was, a bunch of my in-laws and family were partying hard in my house on Saturday night. I did what many recently turned forty-five year olds would do, and drank like a fish. I also wore a jumpsuit. It's a whole new world. 

A playlist from Apple Music, with eleven songs displayed. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, Closing Time by Semisonic, Girl from Mars by Ash, Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, One Day Like This by Elbow, Can You Dig It? by the Mock Turtles, This is How it Feels by the Inspiral Carpets, I Ran by Flock of Seagulls, Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People, Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran,  and On Standby by Shed Seven.
A small insight 
into my creative output.
Writing
What with all the party prep in the week, I barely wrote a word. The most creative thing I did was make a banging playlist. You want early-nineties to mid-noughties, guitar-based man-boy songs? I got you. 

Culture 
In 2002, a colleague recommended Christopher Brookmyre and Val McDermid books to me. I tried a Brookmyre (Boiling a Frog) and got sidetracked by his whole back catalogue and future output for the following twenty years. Shamefully late to the party, I read my first Val McDermid book last week. Even more shamefully, I only did it because I'd watched the dramatisation of her first Karen Pirie novel on ITVX. However, the non-shameful thing about all this is I've found a new favourite author with a huge number of books to devour. I'm ecstatic. 

Food and Drink 
In a bid to be healthy yet excited by my birthday week food choices, I've been hammering whipped feta and moonblush tomatoes on sourdough. It's been my staple lunch this week, between party planning, furniture rearranging, and booze shopping. I can heartily recommend it. 

A close up of a pile of bread pieces, slavered with white cream cheese, with glistening cherry tomatoes haves on top.
 Lovely,
lovely lunch.
Out and About
In spite of mad busy-ness and too many supermarket trips, I managed to claw back some attention and have an afternoon in the Cavern. Live music and a few birthday beers was dece. I also watched Scream VI again, because even though I don't like horror films, and even though I can't be arsed with franchises, I absolutely love the Scream horror franchise. I'm a mass of contradictions. 

It's a short and sweet post this week. I make no apologies. I'm still buzzing but knackered from the weekend. Sometime life gets in the way of reporting the life that got in the way. And isn't that the way it should be? 

Have a lovely week, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment