Monday 1 August 2022

Lioness Legends, Soothing Seasides, and Beautiful Broccoli...

Chloe Kelly, the England football, runs from the goal after scoring the winning goal, in the Women's Euros football final, and cheers and whips her top around her head in celebration.
Chloe Kelly.
Stone cold icon.
Did you watch? Did you see? Aren't you completely buzzing
? I still haven't come down from the ceiling after that amazing evening of football. The biggest and most heartfelt congratulations to the Lionesses. I can't lie. Watching England win the Women's Euros at Wembley, was sweeeeet. Totes emosh and full of feels. Something that was treated like science fiction when I was a girl, actually happened. What a frigging achievement! This is great for old buggers like me, and for the kids that'll grow up with this childhood memory. I'm so happy to have witnessed it. A note of commiseration for Germany who played an impressively strong game throughout, and to all the teams that have made this tournament so exciting. What a brilliant result for us all.

Over the weeks, I've kept reading how this tournament will create a lasting legacy; an inspiration to future generations of girls to play football. I'm sure that'll be the case. What's also different this time is that after this win, I can't imagine  - for example - a bloke in the pub banging on about how the women's game isn't as good as the men's. Actually, of course I can. There's always a bloke in a pub spouting bollocks. What has changed though, is now I'll laugh it off and file the bloke under 'sexist wanker' in my mental filing cabinet. In the past, I'd have felt the need to argue the point and try to show him the error of his ways. Not now. That opinion (which is as boring as it's inaccurate) isn't worth a response. What is worth the brain space, is the array of fantastic goals, brilliant teamwork, and sheer perseverance from England over the past three weeks. Congrats to every single person involved in the development of the Women's game. It's been wonderful to witness.

A picture of the outside of a bar. It has glass windows, khaki green painted walls, some tables and chairs outside, and the sign on the door says 'Y Banera'.
Y Banera.
The bar I chose for the reunion
 in the third part of the book.
I can't walk past without
picturing Bea and Dhanesh 
getting it on outside.
Writing News
OK, time to move on, momentarily, from all that jubilation. As I've definitely mentioned before, my last book, Assembling the Wingpeople, is set in Aberystwyth. It meant I had a lovely couple of years imaging my favourite place while writing it, and now it's done, I can enjoy visiting the locations I imagined and relive the fun and games of the story. Last week, I  was there for a few days. Hurrah! On a whim, I decided to film some of the key locations of the plot, and put them together in a vid for my YouTube channel. (It's shite. I wouldn't bother clicking.) That was the plan. So far, I haven't done anything other than film a few clips, but the thought's there. It would have been a better thought to have a year ago, as part of a marketing push. Oh well. I'll remember next time

A photo of the hardbacked copy of the Twyford Code by Janice Hallet.
Culture
I've read a book. I know! I highly recommend The Twyford Code by Janice Hallet. Twisty and turny, satisfying and engrossing. It was exactly what I needed to lose myself. I also watched a great series on iPlayer called The Newsreader. Set in 1986, an Australian news channel deals with some of the biggest stories of the decade, whilst competing egos, ambitious producers, and systemic inequality run riot. It's also funny. Finally, because I listened to Comfort Blanket's podcast about The Terminator, I found myself watching The Terminator. For the first time. Yep, it's another of those films I should've seen by now and not got round to. My review? Daft fun.

A full plate of food, with fries, broccoli, falafel, and chilli jam.
My lunch at Medina. 
Don't be fooled. The broccoli
is chockful of all the best 
flavours. 
Food and Drink
Aberystwyth's food and drink is the absolute best. I ate popcorn cockles, and the loveliest fish pie at The Glengower Hotel. Then, in search of a big lunch, I ate at foodie heaven, Medina. Fit falafel, cumin fries, and the most beautiful chargrilled broccoli ever. When I got home I tried to recreate the recipe by marinating a load of florets in lemon juice, garlic, and chilli before BBQing them. It was nice but not as good as the original. I'll simply have to go back.

A photo of a beach. The sun is setting and the sky is orange and blue. On the right there's a cliff.
Lovely Aber.
Out and About
Aberystwyth, obvs. But if you want me to be specific, there was a ride up the cliff railway for a few pints at the top. There was a drive to a couple of nearby caravan parks to remember the holidays of my childhood. And there was a lovely potter around the Waterstones while I chose my reading material. All with the smell of the ozone, and the sounds of seagulls in my ears.

It's easy to write a weekly update when I've had time off to actually do stuff, and a national team win an international football tournament. I've certainly had quieter weeks. Hey ho, we take the rough with the smooth and all that jazz. Hopefully you've had a marvellous week too, whatever you've been up to.

Have a lovely week, folks

No comments:

Post a Comment