Monday 15 August 2022

Eurovision Announcements, Holiday Reads, and So Much Culture...

A gif of the Kalush Orchestra, who represented Ukraine in the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest. They are spread out in stage, mid-performance.
The Kalush Orchestra. 
Whichever UK city gets to
host, we can never forget it's 
Ukraine's celebration.
What were you doing on Friday 12th August 2022 at 8.30am? 
Where were you when you heard the news? I was in the kitchen, furiously refreshing Twitter, hoping they'd get a move on before I had to leave the house. Other people weren't so lucky and were at work, on the bus, or walking towards a building, unable to hear the announcement live. Because this was indeed an announcement. It was hyped and milked and heralded with more passion and commitment than I've seen the BBC muster for quite some time. Regarding this particular topic, at least. But here we are, three days later. Has it sunk in yet? Is your local area affected? Because for seven parts of the country, the world is a slightly more optimistic place. Yes, we now know the seven cities that have made it to the Eurovision host city shortlist! A hearty congratulations to Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, and Sheffield. You've done marvellously.

A gif of Sam Ryder who represented the UK in there 2022 Eurovision Song Contest. He is performing his entry, playing electric guitar, and singing.
Sam Ryder did SO well in May.
From the moment it was announced that the UK would be standing in for Ukraine, there were two clear favourites: Glasgow and Manchester. They firmly tick all the boxes required. Lovely Liverpool would be personally ideal, meaning I can nip in and out of town throughout the fortnight; I'm just not sure it meets the specific criteria. But it's all to play for. Whoever gets the gig will have to cancel next May's gigs in their local arena. No one is Euro-ready. Not yet. But they will be. And I for one will be giddy.

The front cover of Assembling the Wingpeople by Nicky Bond. It is a deep pink cover, with a grey grid (like an airfix model kit before it's been separated into pieces). The pieces on this kit are the limbs, torsos, heads, and feet of what seems to be a  generic man and woman.
Writing News
It's holiday reads season, and I've noticed a few more reviews pop up for Assembling the Wingpeople as people take to their sun loungers and chill out with a book. This never fails to make me happy. Reading lovely comments is ace, and it's satisfying to know my stories are shaking their tiny fists at Amazon's algorithms and demanding attention via reviews. Thanks to anyone who's bought it, read it, reviewed it, told someone about it, or done anything at all to spread the word. When people tell me they've read it, I'm reminded once again, that I wrote a novel and it's out there. It's the best feeling.

A gif of Elle Fanning in her role as Catherine the Great, from the TV show, The Great. She is holding a glass of wine in one hand and punching the air with the other as she smiles and shouts 'huzzah'.
Culture
So much culture, gang. Steady yourselves. First off, I did a flying visit to London to watch The Last Word, a play by Lisa McMullin as part of the Camden Fringe. It was brilliant. Two characters, one conversation, and a reveal that made me gasp. I lapped it up. Then, it was back home to a rewatch of season one of The Great. The tale of Catherine the Great of Russia (loosely based on facts) is dark, funny, and completely gross in places - there's a LOT of bodily fluids involved. I'm watching it during a week's free trial of whatever streaming service it's on, so it's been a solid few nights of viewing. Then on Friday I did a rewatch of Top Gun Maverick - purely for the aircon - but felt vindicated in my initial review - 'a TV movie whose budget is too big for its boots/script'. But as I cooled down in front of fighter jets, I found myself pondering a potential plot for a third Tilda book. I'd assumed her story was done but I had a germ of an idea I might come back to*. So that was exciting. Thanks Tom Cruise. You allowed my brain to switch off and gave me much-needed thinking time.

Chargrilled green padron peppers are heaped into a pile, glistening with olive oil, and studded with rock salt, on a plate that is white with black patterns in a faux-Aztec style.
Padrons on my jazzy plate
Food and Drink
My London trip saw me squeeze in an Arabica lunch, which meant reuniting with my fave - labneh with triple chilli butter. There have been lots of dips and crackers (too hot for anything else) although the BBQ sorted me out with marinated prawns and salmon at the weekend**. I made a tray of Nigella's moonblush tomatoes to have stashed in the fridge, and the padron peppers from the garden were finally ready to eat. I'm sure the day will come when I eat mashed potato again. I just can't fathom it during these temperatures.

Out and About
For my 24 hours in the capital, I stayed in London Bridge and nipped into Islington for the play. I had a cancelled train sitch on the way down but managed to cobble together a couple of shorter journeys to get to Euston. Beyond that, I've done my usual Wednesday brunch, Thursday Costa, and Friday cinema routine. It's good to cling to a format when the weather makes me want to lie down and be fanned, all the day is long. 

According to my weather app, we might be given a break this week. I can even see a rain cloud icon for a few days time. Let's enjoy every second of the drop in temperature, and dance in the rain when/if it comes. No, you're right. Let's not be silly. I apologise for getting carried away. Still, I'm looking forward to it, regardless.

Have a lovely week, folks. 

*It does not involve planes, nor feeling the need for speed.

** It's a gas BBQ with zero sparks and at a safe height on concrete. All the precautions were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment