Monday 20 June 2022

Warning: Contains a Gratuitous Perm...

A screen shot of the homepage of Nicky Bond589's TikTok account. It includes six videos, and shows she has 7 followers and is following 10 accounts.
The stats don't lie.
I CBA.
You know things are bad when I film a TikTok. Is that what the kids say? Film a TikTok? This week I filmed a TikTok for all of six seconds, bemoaning my hay feverish eyes. So far it's been seen 82 times, which is batshit when you consider I've almost no followers and I didn't share it anywhere. (Until now!) TikTok's a cultural phenomenon that continues to elude me. Like much of social media does to my parents, or how the Internet did to my Grandma. It's my generation's thing that's gone too far. I say 'my generation', I'm sure there's plenty of forty-somethings all over it. I just can't see why. It doesn't help with marketing, no adult I know is actively on there, and I excel using words rather than pranks or dance moves. Pranks and dance moves seem to be what TikTok's about. Oh, and lip syncs. Don't I sound like a grumpy old bugger? Hey ho. Enough of my technical inadequacies. I was only pointing out how shit the pollen count's been. As you were.

A school photo of Nicky Bond. She has a massive perm.
Me, age 11, same as Leeza. 
I may be writing 'my life'
but I've at least spared
Leeza a perm.

Writing News
Writing through the brain fog is my current challenge. Whether the fog's caused by my last remaining hormones limping like world-weary soldiers to their evacuation point, or because it's been a bit hot recently, it's a daily effort to stay on task. One amusing thing happened. At my writing group, I'd shared a piece of the new Leeza McAuliffe draft with the gang. It'd involved her ongoing quest for self-discovery whilst everyone in her family either took the piss or ignored her. At the end, when people had said lovely things, someone asked, 'Where do you get all your ideas from?' I saw my response written in the minutes that came through a few days ago. I remember it at the time too, but seeing it in black and white was stark. 'Where do you get all your ideas from?'  I barely paused for breath before saying, 'IT'S MY LIFE. IT'S ALL MY LIFE.' 

Culture
Whilst drunk at my friends' wedding recently, myself and another friend planned a trip to Alaska. That's why I found myself watching The Proposal on Disney + and enjoying all the Alaskan scenery that I'm sure I'll never see for real. Then I've allowed myself a daily watch of this vid - Ariana DeBose's showstopper from the Tonys. If I time it right, it gives me just enough energy to make a cup of tea. Still no cinema trip this week. It's the rubbish limbo period of big blockbusters and kids films. Bring on some new listings, pronto. Finally, my The West Wing status? Finished! From last August until now, it's been emotional. It also made me reread this long read about the show.

A close up of vegetable skewers on a BBQ - veg includes mushrooms, peppers, courgette, red onion, and beetroot.
Food and Drink
Last week I hinted that my new BBQ was about to cause a surge in outdoor eating. Well, yes and no. I've not sat outside once. (See opening paragraph for why.) But I've cooked on it. Most nights. Veggie kebabs, burgers, halloumi, courgette strips, flatbreads, more halloumi... it's been fab. If you're not turning over a bulging skewer of an evening, you're not living.

Out and About
It's been a different sort of weekend from usual, albeit marvellous fun. Friday night saw me cheering on my Goddaughter and siblings at their musical theatre show. Then Saturday afternoon was my nephews 2nd birthday bash - Happy Birthday S! Then on Sunday it was out to lunch with my parents for Father's day. I shall save all my boozy recklessness for next weekend.

Keep enjoying the sun, if you are. Keep enjoying the antihistamines if you're not. But wherever you fall on the Summer-appreciation scale...

Have a lovely week, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment