Monday 3 June 2019

The Accidental Tourist...

Ooh it's been a busy few weeks. What with a houseful of Aussie cousins alongside the top notch family wedding, there's been a lot going on. It's a funny old thing, hosting people from another country. There're only so many episodes of Drag Race released a month to entertain us all, so beyond the initial catch-up, I can only assume I've been boring AF. And because I feel like I live in the middle of nowhere (albeit on the motorway network) it takes a bit of thought to consider the alternative options. But Reader, there ARE alternative options. Right on the door step and beyond. So, let me guide you through my northerner's guide to impressing overseas guests.


Liverpool combines a bustling city with
a serene waterfront. With added Beatles buzz.
Liverpool
Kind of obvious this one, but it's easy to overlook. Because I used to live in the city, as well as the fact I'm there regularly for shopping, dental work, writing group meetings and walking be-headphoned along the river, I take the tourism aspect for granted. For the overseas Beatles fan, however, Liverpool is an absolute must. Mathew Street, The Beatles Story, the statue of the fab four by the Pier Head, or - as we speak - the John and Yoko exhibition in the Liverpool Museum; it's all happening in Liverpool. Still on my To Do list is a cinematic walking tour from Reel Tours. Genius in its simplicity, it's a wander round the city with big screen locations pointed out as you pass them. What a cracking way to showcase Liverpool. It's all kicking off in town. (I believe there's been a bit of footy going on, too.) It's massively easy to take my home city for granted, but lovely to view with objective eyes once in a while.

The Trafford Centre
Before Liverpool One, there was the Trafford Centre. A shopping haven, not far away, and easily accessible by public transport. When I've been struggling to find a specific outfit for a tricky event, the Trafford Centre has never let me down. It's just a bunch of shops in a posh arcade, but we forget its impact. When I was at sixth form college, there were coach trips organised for Leeds, Sheffield, and Newcastle, all places that had shopping centres; the like of which the North West was missing. And then the Trafford Centre was built - about twenty years ago. And it's still great. For customers, eaters and drinkers, or cinema goers, as well as those that like a 'mooch round the shops. I've been to my relatives' version of this in Australia (Hello Marion shops! Hello Tea Tree Plaza!) and I like to think we can hold own in comparison.


Local shizzle, right in your face. This
was the Rocket190 celebration last week.
Newton-le-Willows
No, you haven't missed the latest capital of culture announcement. This one is a bit out of left field, but hear me out. My brother - a whizz with wood - can often be found at craft fairs of a weekend, selling his stuff. On the Bank Holiday last week, he was at Newton Craft Fair. The high street of this small town was lined with stalls, selling crafts, food, and drink, with lots of local businesses represented. I'll be honest, if it wasn't for my brother, I wouldn't have known about it. But it was brill. A cute, local, fun few hours to show off a bit more of the North West. That same weekend, there was a big shebang in the village down the road from me. A celebration of 190 years since the first steam locomotive trundled along the local railway line, meant a buzz of celebration. Another big deal, local event. Stuff like this feels like a great snapshot for visitors. Sort of Midsomer Murders village life, with all the quirkiness and local eccentricities that suggests. Besides that, my cousin was made up with the taste of a Mr. Whippy. Worth a visit for that alone.


Rolling hills and scenery for days.
Clitheroe
Who knew Clitheroe was so beautiful? Not me, that's for sure. When my brother and sister-in-law announced they were getting married there, I looked on the map and thought, 'Fair play. It's the other side of Manchester and up a bit. Nice one.' And then I didn't think about it until the day before the wedding when I was suddenly in the middle of absolute beauty. Clitheroe is STUNNING. It's how I imagine the Cotswolds to be. Somewhere exceptionally English, just not miles and miles away. It was the ideal showcasing of the English countryside for Aussies and Scousers alike. On the morning of the wedding, my brother-in-law took himself off for a walk. I was busy working out which makeup brush to use with which makeup product so I had enough on my plate, but the photos he WhatsApped through, contained a up-close sheep. That says it all.


Tesco made a liar out of me when I
said we didn't have caramel M&Ms
here. These limited additions ones are
the best version ever. I'm tempted to add a
plentiful supply to my no-deal Brexit drawer.
Tesco
No, I'm not grasping at straws. We all know the buzz of a foreign supermarket, don't we? Whether it's Carrefour on French family holidays, or a Walgreens in the US, the lure of someone else's everyday products is a thrill. Tesco has provided as much of a diversion as the the priciest attraction could ever manage. Whether it's the gin aisle, with myriad flavours and strengths, or the crisp section with prawn cocktail Walkers and cheesy Quavers, food shopping has taken on more significance than before. It's been fun to re-experience things I've not eaten for years, but that stand out to visitors. The box of Tunnock's tea cakes didn't last long. And I'm going to have to systematically desensitise myself from cave-aged mature cheddar once the relatives return to Australia. Either way, it's been fun to see what products create a stir, and which are same old same old.

And now, it's done. The house is empty and my cousins have gone home. I have a few days away (more on that next week) before I return to normality, but it's nearly here. My task, as the monotony returns, and real life kicks back into play, is to remember the eye opener I've had. The Tesco run is as interesting as I want to make it. Local events like beer festivals and galas can be loads of fun. Liverpool is on my doorstep and yet my eyes are closed as I walk around it. Seeing my home turf though the eyes of others has made it much more clear. I've certainly entertained myself, if no one else.

Have a lovely week, folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment