Monday 27 May 2019

Welcome to my Mood Board...

A couple of weeks ago, in my post about Eurovision 2019, I mentioned having a clothes mood board. Actually that's not strictly true. I said that if I had a clothes mood board, I'd put a picture of the Danish singer's outfit on it. The fact remains that I do not have one. I've never had one. Who would?

Comfort over style.
Apart from the mofo hat.
The question of clothing has been fairly pertinent recently. The casual comfort of my daily wardrobe means I rarely think about it normally. Jeans, t-shirts, leggings, tunic tops, and pyjamas. That's all I wear. I prioritise comfort over style every day. I like that about me. But recent months have been building up to the sibling wedding of the year, and I knew (without even asking) that PJ bottoms wouldn't be allowed.*

In the end, come the wedding I played it safe. Because I prioritise comfort over style, that also includes mental comfort. I don't want to be trying something new. I don't want to be rocking a potentially awesome look, when it risks looking like an episode one eliminated drag queen. I like feeling in control of my appearance. So, I went with a black top and black trousers. Standard. It's not all boring though. I rocked a red hat. I rocked it HARD. That was me pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone. It was me trying to up my game without having to actually up my game for realsies. I think I got away with it.

However - in the grand tradition of Carrie Bradshaw - it got me to thinking. If I did have a clothes mood board, what items of clothing would be included? Would it reflect the inner me or be simply a projection of a personality I don't possess? I liked the idea of imagining a world where I wasn't short, wide, and top heavy. Where I could attempt elegance with the best of them. So, let me share what I found. Here are the clothes that make me positively gleeful when I see them. Come with? Yes?

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Jodie Comer's suit in Killing Eve. Series one, episode three. It is EVERYTHING. Stylish, elegant, practical without being boring. Killing Eve: Come for the intriguing plot and witty script, stay for the outfits.
Nope, I'm not talking about Mary Berry even though she's a style icon in her own right. It's Sue Perkins all the way for me. I love her look. When the day comes that I'm interviewed on Graham Norton, I will model myself on her style choices.
Remember The Fall? Remember Stella Gibson? I LOVED her wardrobe. A mix of a police uniform, uber-feminine silk blouses with pencil skirts, or tailored trouser and jacket combos. I dressed very similarly to the above when I was in my last formal job. My clothes just contained more Wonder Web and lunch stains than Gillian Anderson did. (That is the only difference between us. The ONLY one.)
After watching this episode of Fleabag, I bought a black pinafore from eBay, and wore it with a long-sleeved black t-shirt, repeatedly. As I have the inverse width/height proportions to Phoebe Walller Bridge, I'm not sure it's a look I can pull off. But I love it so much I don't care.
Ah Jessica Jones. I care nothing for the Marvel universe, but I do appreciate how similar my 'dress up for the pub' look is to Jessica's attire. Again, we have different shapes, but so too does my Jessica Jones bobblehead, who reminds me that there are worse proportions to have.

My head hasn't got this big yet.
After throwing all my clothes-thoughts out there, I sense a theme. Not for me, skirts, dresses, and traditional lady-like attire! Not for me, high fashion and cutting edge trends! I like a tailored waist. I like trousers that mean my legs can move any which way they like. (It's one leg over the sofa arm, or sitting on my foot as the other dangles, every time for me.) And I like a jacket with pockets. It explains why I enjoyed my school blazer so much. A flattering cut AND room for a scientific calculator. Win.


Getting older is rather marvellous. I accept that I don't suit delicate fabrics or subtle shades. I understand that some features are best hidden whilst others are there to emphasise. I'm not bothered in the slightest by others' opinions about me. But still, it's rather nice to play about with 'a look'. The next time I need to scrub up a bit - family wedding, BAFTA ceremony, Nobel Prize winners' lunch? - I know what I want. It's a Stella Gibson/Villanelle hybrid, with practical pockets, and room for various leg movements. I'm sure somewhere out there, there's an outfit with my name on. Until then, however, it's a welcome return to my PJ bottoms and baggy t-shirts. I've missed you.

Have a lovely week, folks.

*The sibling wedding of the year (AKA Beth and Tim's big day) was perfect. And, unusually for me, I utterly LOVED Beth's dress. I often appreciate other people's wedding dresses, but feel fairly detached from their beauty. This was different. Beth's dress ticked ALL my boxes. I am sure it makes not a jot of difference to my brother or sister-in-law's memories of their special day, that I wholeheartedly approve of the wedding dress, but it still needed saying. On a clothes level alone, this wedding rocked. And on every other level imaginable, it was off the charts brilliant. Anyway, I've said my piece. Let's leave it there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment