Monday 8 October 2018

Deadline, Schmeadline...

A couple of years ago, I read an article about publishing. It explained there were strategic times in the year that specific genres of book were released. (Self-Help comes out in January. Beach reads are July/August. That kind of thing.) I've searched the internet long and hard to find the article, but to no avail. Instead, let me rehash what my vague memory can cobble together. Sorry for pissing all over the Harvard referencing system. As cited words go, this isn't ideal. 

SpongeBob's self-help
book came out in January.
I got one big take away from the article. The optimum Christmas market for booksellers is early Autumn. And one date stuck in my mind. October 4th. I don't know if that was in relation to that particular year, or it's an annual date that publishers mark in big red letters on their calendars. But October 4th was the date mentioned as being THE date for new books to be released. I noted it down. I worked my timeline around it. I plotted out the work to do, into the space between then and now. My plan, two years ago, was that my next book would come out on October 4th 2018.

And readers, it ALMOST did.

This is defo not me.
Look I'll admit, working for yourself and setting your own deadlines is a double-edged sword. On the one hand it's lovely to make it all up as you go along. Choosing to have a day off for the sniffles is marvellous. Staying in bed on day two of my period is sooooo good. Setting a deadline for myself two years down the line is a lovely indulgence. But on the other hand, without a stressed-out line management structure on my back demanding results, it's far too easy to slip into laziness. Self-discipline becomes all the more important. If I don't take myself seriously, literally no one else will. So deadlines become even more essential when no one is relying on me. I'M relying on me. So I have to do my best.

And I really did try my best. Circumstances beyond my control have meant that October 4th has been and gone, without my new book troubling the Amazon algorithms. It's really really close, but it's not there yet. And for a while this bothered me. I'd had the date in my head for so long that it felt gutting to see it pass without toasting myself with champagne, holding the book in my hand, and feeling smugly pleased with my efforts. But then I got a grip. Some people have real problems. I mean, honestly. Boo hoo, poor me? Nah. Not a good look. So I focused on the positives instead.

A dramatic reconstruction
of a family member giving me edits.
First of all, I've have the time to get a lot more feedback, pre-publication. As well as volunteers from my immediate family, I've had two sisters-in-law read it. They're from different regions of the country, and spotted phrasings and conceptual assumptions that my siblings and parents hadn't thought twice about. I've also been able to get some children to read the pre-publication draft. This feels hugely important. If it's aimed at 8+, it's all very well my adult family members liking it, but they're really not the demographic I'm aiming for. Having more time has meant I can fit in more editing. Never a bad thing.

I now have time to whip everyone
 into this level of hysteria and anticipation.
Secondly, in missing the Christmas build up, I can plan a longer period of 'ramping up excitement'. I think that's the technical term. Experts seem to suggest a six-month window of pre-publication promotion is necessary. With my first book it was six weeks. With my next it will be nearer the advised time. I'm now aiming for the end of February/start of March. It's not ideal in terms of the genre schedule, but it gives me lots of time to waffle on and spread the word. I'll be able to promote the date it's available, urge pre-orders, promote it via the various websites I'm part of, and drop adverts at regular intervals in the build up. In theory, I should have been doing that since the Summer, if I was truly going to be effective at an October publication. So maybe it's all worked out for the best. Now I can do this thing properly.

I'm a chapter in, but so
 far, it's a keeper. DID
YOU SPOT MY JOKE??
What I do know, is that with every book I learn more about how things are done. And I am sure I've only scratched the surface. In the meantime, I can keep busy with reading some of the books I bought that DID come out on October 4th. I've got Graham Norton's A Keeper, John Niven's Kill 'Em All, and Liane Moriarty's Nine Perfect Strangers. I'd have NO time to be smugly downing champagne if I'd been published alongside them. There's far too much to read!

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment