Monday 27 November 2023

Hurtling, Reminiscing, Laughing...

An actress stands at the podium at an Academy Award ceremony. Looks to be the 50s or 60s. She holds her hand infront of her eyes to shield the lights as she searches for something in front of her.
🎵What's that coming over the hill, is it a monster? Is it a monsterrrrrr? 🎵 

Noooo, silly. It's December!

The final month in the year of our Lord, twenty  twenty-three, is imminent. Do you remember the end of January when I informed the world we'd boxed off a twelfth of the year? Now look where we are. Time flies when you're counting down the year in twelfths. Not that I actually did that, but you get the drift. With the end of the year hurtling towards us, it's always good to reflect and remember what we've accomplished. So without further ado, here's this week's update.

Writing News
I've accomplished nothing! Not a sausage. There's literally no writing reflection possible. Apart from this blog and some emails, my tippy-tappy-typing's been on the down low while other people do things. Patience, I believe, is a virtue. Sadly I'm not very virtuous.
 
Two main characters from Saltburn are on screen. Both men, both in black tie, the very good looking man is standing up holding a bottle of champagne and pouring it into the other man's mouth. The other man falls to his knees as he takes the drink.
Saltburn
Culture
Now this I can reflect on. Last week I watched Saltburn at the Odeon. I walked in knowing nothing other than the brief trailer, but walked out full of beans. (I imagine Barry Norman's had similar experiences.) Saltburn is a dark romp: creepy, weird, and funny. At least that's my view. Others do exist. The more viscerally graphic scenes amused me, although one guy across the aisle was audibly repulsed. Larks! And now, for pure escapism, I'm rereading the romance, Christmas at Frozen Falls. It's festively joyful - hurrah! - but even better, the bulk of it's set in Lapland. With every page, I feel like I'm there. Full of snowy vistas, reindeer, and huskies. Fair play, Kiley Dunbar. That's a lovely skill to have.

A plate with six slices of pizza strewn about in a haphazard manner. The topping is ham and pineapple.
Asda Hawaiian pizza.
As it ever was.
Food and Drink
Last week, I revisited a childhood staple. In an attempt to see whether my memories were rose-tinted, or if it really was one of the nicer Bond teas, I bought an Asda Hawaiian pizza. (I last had one in my teens.) Despite this lapse in my aspirational pescatarianism, it was lovely. Best tea ever? No, not for a second. Perfectly lovely thing to eat whilst reminiscing? You betcha!


Out and About

I spent Thursday with a group of friends. I've known them for decades but don't see them often. The reason for the reunion was very sad. But catching up with people I laugh the most with, was wonderful. I like that I'm at an age where people I haven't seen for five or so years are still the people who know me best. When I was fifteen, this would simply not be the case. 


Here's to lots of laughs with funny friends as we enter the final glorious twelfth.


Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment