Monday 12 June 2023

WhatsApps? Tapes? It's All the Same...

A black and white gif. A man from the Nixon investigation is looking to camera and says, 'We need those tapes.'
We need those WhatsApps.
Nothing ever changes, does it? For all our technological advances, we're still hampered by human frailty.
This year, it's fifty years since the initial Watergate investigation. I know. Mad, right? Despite the break-in that led to a President's resignation happening six yers before I was born, I find the whole thing fascinating. (You can take the girl out of the American Studies elective but you can't take the American Studies elective out of the girl.) I was alerted to this golden anniversary by a new drama, The Whitehouse Plummers. It comedically tells the story of the Watergate break in, with a healthy dollop of artistic licence. I enjoyed it but wanted reality. Luckily my algorithms had smelt red meat. A more factually reliable 2018 documentary, Watergate, was promoted every time I turned on the TV. I watched that, which led me to Nixon, the three hour Oliver Stone movie with Anthony Hopkins playing the lead. Finally Frost/Nixon gave the me the last chapter in the story - with David Frost being the interviewer who forces Nixon into admitting his failings. (I'd recently seen All the President's Men and The Post, so I left them alone this time.) 

All excellent films and a fascinating way to spend a few evenings. But you know what? It pulled recent political events into sharp focus. Nothing ever changes. Last week there was a three-way tug of war between the Cabinet Office, Boris Johnson, and Baroness Hallett of the COVID enquiry. Would Johnson's WhatsApps be wholly submitted in an unredacted state? Would Sunak succeed in keeping out the politically devastating ones? Would the right evidence be submitted to the enquiry so justice could be done? All questions that seemed irreverent by Friday, when Johnson jumped before he was pushed. But insert the Watergate Whitehouse tapes for the COVID Whatsapps and you've got a pretty similar story. People clinging to power and obstructing justice through any means possible. And let's not forget T***p. (Nooo. Can't we?) The most recent US ex-President's legacy is further cemented in the form of new criminal allegations. Nothing ever changes. Perhaps the upside is, that in fifty years time, there'll be some excellent dramas and informative documentaries about our current political dramas. Ninety-five year old me will enjoy that.

Marge Simpson is sitting at her computer. She types something and says, 'Spell check, perfect.'
Writing News
I did the thing I've needed to do for ages - I read the new Leeza McAuliffe novel from start to finish. I got three things from the experience. A crick in the neck and glazed eyes are two of them. It's a lot to read in one go, especially with the intensity required to critique every word. I was more than happy to escape to the pub afterwards. The third thing, however, was a sense of satisfaction. It's such a lovely story, even if I do say so myself. I can't wait for it to be out there.

A book cover. The title is How Westminster Works and Why It Doesn't by Ian Dunt. There picture has a turret of the House of Commons that has fallen off, and crumbled.
Culture
Aside from the Watergate stuff, I've also watched Poker Face. It's a crime drama on Sky, led by Natasha Lyonne. Each episode (mostly) stands alone, with an intricately plotted murder, seen by the viewer and solved by Lyonne's character. It hits all the right spots and I highly recommend it. I've also been reading. I know, an actual book! Political journalist, Ian Dunt, has written How Westminster Works and Why It Doesn't. It breaks down every part of the political process from MP selections, to the Civil Service, to SpAds, to the Press Lobby, and explores how they function within the system. The answer it seems, is - spoiler alert - they don't work. 

Food and Drink
BBQ season has well and truly begun. When I'm not skewering prawns and marinating salmon, I'm searching for the best non-meat meats. Beyond Burger are my current go to. They taste pretty authentic as a beef burger, but when you pile on the ketchup, relish, cheese, and onion, you'd never know the difference.

An outdoor stage, a three-piece band, two musicians with guitars, amps and sound stuff all around, and perfect blue skies above.
Blue skies for Marble Eyes!
Out and About
I spent a marvellous day with mates under a gazebo at a local festival. Scouting for Girls headlined, but local band Marble Eyes were absolutely brilliant. (Check them out in the St. Helens area.) What more do you want on a summer's day than to dance in a field, plastic glass in hand, with live music and good vibes. The following day's hay fever spike was totally worth it.

Now I've exhausted my Nixon-fest, I need a new obsession to devour. JFK films and docs? Royal family stuff? Churchill and the War? Nah. Not right now. It's time to return to the safe and soothing arms of Dawson's Creek. (I'm about to start series five.) The historical, political stuff can carry on around me while I refuel on nineties nostalgia.

Have a lovely week, folks

No comments:

Post a Comment