Monday 28 November 2022

Tangible To Do Lists and Other Delights...

A pic of a pale blue wall, with a selection of yellow Post It Notes stuck on. Each one has a task written on it in black marker. If you zoom in enough, you'd read things like 'Wrap presents', All presents ordered' and ''Count plates, bowls, cutlery'
Kitchen wall of dreams...
Last week's Readers may need some closure. Ready? Here it is. I've still not put up my Christmas decs. It continues to be all quiet on the Christmas front round my way. At least I assume it is. I've not been there since Friday (more of that below) so I've no up-to-date data. Either way, my away-days in a city covered in lights, have kicked me up the arse. I'll be doing the tree as soon as I get back. That's my plan. Meanwhile in other seasonal news, I'm continuing to swerve the World Cup. I thought I'd miss it, but I don't. I'm sticking with Strictly, and I managed to ignore anything from the jungle. (Although Jill Scott won, which you wouldn't know from today's front pages.) My Christmas shopping's almost done and mostly wrapped, and I've made a tangible and user-friendly Festive To Do List. It's a bunch of Post Its, stuck on my kitchen wall, with a different Christmas task written on each one. The plan is to make it less overwhelming. Opening up a mofo of a list every time I want to check where I'm up to, can be a head-frig. And I've found it much more satisfying to rip off a Post It from the wall than score through a line of typing when a task's done. Just passing it on. #BondiesTips

A picture of the three books available online by me, Nicky Bond. Each one has their front cover on show. 'Assembling the Wingpeople' is a deep pink background. The cover shows an Airfoil-style kit, with parts to be able to press out and construct. The parts are of body parts (limbs, torsos, and heads, along with hands and feet.) The second book cover is 'Leeza McAuliffe Has Something To Say. The title is contained in a speech bubble coming out of Leeza's mouth. She is a young girl, wearing a vest top over a t shirt, looking thoughtful as she holds a pad and paper. Then the third book is 'Carry the Beautiful.' The cover shows an illustration of a woman's head. Her hair is splayed  out and the contents of her brain are all over the place. These contents are illustrated memories - a beer mat, a match book, a photo, a champagne cork, etc.
My wares! Click here for 
all their marvellousness.
Writing News
First, a history lesson. This blog only began because the 'How To Market Yourself As A Writer' articles from around ten years ago, said it was essential. I'm not convinced it is. I mean, I like having a weekly deadline to write some published words, but I'm not sure it forces people to find me, discover my hidden depths, and rush straight to their choice of online book retailer to order my wares. (Obviously, if I'm wrong, here's a handy link for you. They make BRILLIANT Christmas presents.) But yeah, that was the plan. As you may well know, Subscribers get this email pinged into their inboxes at 11am every Monday. Then, after that, I post a link on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and as of recent weeks, Mastodon. That's my Monday morning routine. But now, since Twitter had it's meltdown, I've noticed a huge drop in blog views. The past three weeks have seen a clear difference. It's the same time period as the mass-exodus of Tweeters, along with technical upheavals that have gone on behind the scenes. It's made me realise how much Twitter was a driving force in directing traffic this way. So far, I've accepted it. There's nothing I can do. And I'm trying to up my Insta game which feels the most 'Buy My Stuff' social media out of the rest of them. But either way, it's an interesting development. For all the 'Lolz at the rich man wrecking Twitter' posts, there have been plenty of writers, creatives, and freelancers that have been adversely affected. Twitter was pretty useful once. Especially for writers trying to hustle.

Daniel Craig is playing Benoit Blanc in Glass Onion. In this gif, he's standing  on a beach, sipping a drink. He is wearing a wide striped blue and white linen shirt, and a yellow neckerchief with white spots. He is also wearing sunglasses.
Daniel Craig's beachwear is worth
the Netflix subscription alone.
Culture News 
I rewatched the murder mystery, Knives Out last weekend. It was my preamble for the second Knives Out movie that hit cinemas recently. For one week only. Glass Onion is actually released on Netflix at Christmas, but I managed to catch it during it's limited big screen outing. Twice. It was glorious. That's all I need to say. The two-hours and twenty-minutes flew and I can't wait to rewatch for a third time. In alternative Culture News, I binged The Horne Section TV Show on All4. Mad, daft, silly, and surreal are all decent adjectives. But mostly, funny. I laughed a lot. 

A photo of a restaurant table. It contains a small dish of padron peppers, a plate with a slab of manchego cheese and a dish with garlic prawns with toasted bread. In the centre of it is an empty side plate, except for the discarded stalk of one pepper. There is a glass of red wine in the background.
I never said I was a photographer!
 (I really wish I'd taken this without
 the almost empty side plate.
Ignore it please.)

Food And Drink
Lovely, lovely tapas. It never lets you down. And the best tapas is non-shared tapas. Thank you Brindisi for my chilled evening of garlicky wonderment. 


Out and About
The city with the lights that I mentioned at the top? That'll be London, baby! Yep, an enforced mini-break to work around the rail strikes. But extra time in London is never wasted. Oh no. I filled it with my second watch of Glass Onion - in one of Leicester Square's Odeons, like it was a premier. (Reader, it was not a premier.) I also lucked out by being given a free ticket to GOOD, with David Tennant. (He was on stage, not my date. Probably best. He'd never handle it.) The story of a 'good' professor in 1930s Germany, it charted one man's descent into fascism as he struggled to fight against the Nazi regime. David Tennant, his fellow actors, and the production as a whole, were powerful, chilling, and at the top of their game. I don't imagine it'll be leaving me any time soon.

By the time this hits your inbox or you've clicked the social media link, I'll be on my way home. Avanti, permitting. (Lolzzzzzz.) There's a tree to decorate, Post Its to rip off, and the best month of the year to gear up to. May all your To Do Lists be as satisfyingly tangible. 

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment