Monday 10 October 2022

Kalush is coming to Liverpool!...

A gif of the Kalush Orchestra performing in the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest.
The Kalush Orchestra won 
Eurovision 2022
Commiserations to Glasgow! You had a cracking bid that I was convinced was the clincher. Turns out, myself, the bookies, and the months-long fan chat, was wrong. The European Broadcasting Union and the BBC have chosen Liverpool as the host of Eurovision 2023. Woohoo for all concerned.

Scousers who only watch on the Saturday night in May, have got a lovely surprise coming. Liverpool will live and breathe Eurovision, weeks up to the night. The fortnight run up will have all sorts going on, and the fact I'm only six stops away on the train, is possibly the best thing that's ever happened to me. I cannot wait to fully immerse myself AND sleep in my own bed. (Along with a variety of siblings that have bagsied a mattress for the night.)

But there's one thing that can never be forgotten, nor will it be here. This is Ukraine's win. Sam Ryder, beautiful puppy-man that he is, came second. The 2023 contest should be in Kyiv, or Odesa, or any other Ukranian city. The fact it can't be, is grim. Liverpool, which is a fantastic city and well up for hosting, is merely caretaking. The general consensus is that Liverpool's bid was successful because of how much emphasis they placed on Ukraine and its culture. I cannot wait to see that unfold next spring. Bring on Eurovision 2023! The final is on13th May next year. I'll either be in the arena, or loitering around a big screen in town. Either way, what an experience!

A gif of Leo Decaprio, in the role of Jay Gatsby from Gatzby. He's raising a glass of champagne to the camera, while fireworks burst behind him.
Thanks, Leo. I'm
pretty proud of myself.


Writing News
Pop the champagne corks, sound the klaxons, light beacons on the hills, and dance 'til dawn. Why? BECAUSE I FINISHED MY ROUGH DRAFT!!!! Yep, that means the new story I began in February has become whole. It's got a beginning, middle, and end. It goes from A to Z. It's done. 

Well, obviously it's not done. Far from it. With my current levels of jubilation, you'd be forgiven for assuming I'll have copies available in a few weeks. WRONG. This is merely the first milestone crossed off. It's a million miles away from complete, but that's an update for another day. For now, I'm feeling warm and smug with achievement. But as the Hot Priest said to Fleabag when she said I love you, 'It'll pass.'

A gif of the Strictly glitter ball.
Culture
Friday night saw the Lionesses play USA at Wembley. A hot ticket, for sure. I watched England's 2-1 win from a Welsh Airbnb, rather than the stadium, but it was a cracker either way. That's the sport, now the sequins. Strictly's back! I'm still considered a  recent convert (five years ago) but as soon that music starts, I'm fully onboard, ready to offer up my Autumnal Saturday nights as a sacrifice to my glittery god. So far I'm obsessed with Jade, Ellie S and Ellie T. You heard it here first. Finally, I read Richard Osman's new book in a day. It was easy, engaging, and fun. Does it bug me when famous-for-other-things people shoot straight to the top of the book charts? Yes. Did that stop me reading his book? No. I loved it.

A photo of a pub, with a bar, and a large window in the back ground. You can see the sea and the sky through it, and they're both a clear, bright blue.
No filter. Just a real ale pub looking
out over the sea. Good times.
Food and Drink
My mini-break to Wales meant lovely food and drink. I had a night in the Glengower pub drinking real ale, watching the waves crash, and the sun set. I ate a hallomui and honey kebab in Medina, a place whose epic side salads kid you you're being healthy. Then I bought a bunch of cheese and wine at Ultracomida, to accompany the ENGUSA match. All in all, it was foody-heaven. This week, I'll be mostly rolling instead of walking.

A photo of the seafront in Aberystwyth. The waves are big with lots of white spray, and the sun is bright in the sky.
The Aberystwyth prom.
Bright sun, cold wind, big coats.
Out and About
Aberystwyth, of course. It's my favourite place, and - I feel contractually obliged to point out - the setting for Assembling the Wingpeople; a book I recently wrote that I've probably never mentioned before. Available in all good online bookshops. I pottered around the town, but only to walk to pubs and restaurants. It was a chilled/lazy/couch potatoey few days.

Here's hoping your week includes full-of-tummy rolling, sequins for days, foody-heaven, or whatever floats your specific boat. It takes all sorts.

Have a lovely week, folks 

No comments:

Post a Comment