Monday 14 February 2022

Grim Waterfronts, the Definitive Reacher, and Mofo Yorkies...

A picture of the Liverpool waterfront on a rainy day, with a grey sky and grey water, and grassy verge leading towards the prom.
I really do like Otterspool
but even I can see
this is grim.
More news, more scandal, more lies. Hello and welcome to another week in modern Britain. Let's refresh our memories. A picture of the Downing Street quiz that was apparently within the rules and not a social gathering (even though there's champagne, tinsel necklaces, and a packet of crisps opened out to encourage multiple-eaters) hit the news last week. It took place on 15th December 2020. A quick flick through my phone tells me I didn't take any photos that day. Instead, I've got a picture from the morning of the 16th. I drove to Otterspool to go for a walk. It was rainy. I stayed in the car for a bit. I took a photo. Then I drove home. Yep, it was as bleak as it looks. Champagne with my pals would have been a lovely diversion from all the gloom. Hey ho, now we know.

A close up of the corner of a page of  an open notebook. Some notes about the next book are on there. A list of characters from the first book are visible, as is the note 'we see Jake's inner world here'.
A sneak preview!
Writing News
Since Assembling the Wingpeople came out, I've been fairly quiet at my writing group. Well, OK, not quiet as such. I've found the voice to chat about the issues of the day and rail against the government - obvs -  but in terms of my own writing, I've taken a back seat. Until now. Last Wednesday, when it was time to share, I reached into my bag and pulled out... duh duh duhhhhhh...  my planning file. Boom.

Yeah, I know, it's not that exciting. But I'd worked on it since the new year, and I thought it'd be nice to show what I'd been doing. And this is where it does get interesting. Because you see, not everyone plans. Yeah, I know. Horses for courses, different strokes for different folks, we're not all the same, etc. But not everyone plans and certainly not everyone plans like me. (Obsessively to the nth degree). And get this, not everyone knows how their story will end when they start. It was really interesting to hear the different processes people had. None of them wrong, none of them right, just differing methods employed by different people. 

Alan Ritchson as Jack Reacher is sipping a cup of coffee
Now THAT'S Reacher.
Culture
Fans of the Jack Reacher books will be pleased to hear there's been another stab at immortalising the toughest of tough guys onscreen. The Killing Floor has been adapted into an eight-part series called Reacher, that arrived on Amazon Prime at the start of the month. As someone who loved the novels but stopped reading them after Tom Cruise's 2012 film, I was sceptical. But I gave it a go, and five minutes in, I was hooked. I totally bought Alan Ritchson's portrayal. He IS Reacher. It also made me want to dive right back into the books -  I'd say that's a recommendation right there. 

Kevin Costner as Frank Farmer in the Bodyguard turns to look at the camera
'And I-yai-yai-yai-I will always
lo-ove yooooooooooouuu...'
In other news, this year it's thirty years since The Bodyguard was released. I know. Ridiculous. I got over my shock, took myself to the cinema, and watched an anniversary showing, all the while being transported back to Year Nine and the first time I saw it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it doesn't matter how many times you've seen a film on the telly, it's like brand new at the cinema. 

A roast dinner, including green beans, stuffing, roast potatoes and carrot. There's a big Yorkshire pudding on top and the whole thing's covered in gravy.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Food and Drink
One thing I hadn't realised I'd miss in my meat-free life was pork pies. I didn't eat them often, but when I did, I LOVED them. My latest challenge is to find a veggie alternative. There are some that purport to be alternatives, but I can confirm that's all big talk. But I'll soldier on, undeterred in my quest. I can, however, shout from the rooftops about how happy yesterday's Sunday roast made me. Who needs meat when you've got roasties, roast carrots, green beans, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, and an absolute mofo of a yorkie? It was delish and it's taking all my energy not to stop typing right now and go and make another one. But look, I'll keep going just for you. No, you're welcome. Really.

Out and About
It was a bumper weekend of fun and frolics! Friday night saw a rescheduled evening with friends after illness put paid to it in December.  Then the following night was a Bond family get-together. They do crop up regularly. This one was for my sister's birthday but we don't need much excuse. It was also a semi-reenactment of Christmas, albeit with a takeaway instead of Christmas dinner. The five family members who had to self-isolate over the festive period were able to make up for lost time.  Alcohol was taken. It was fun. Then, in a slight gear shift, I completed a week of grooming. Well two hour-long appointments worth. My hair has been rebobbed and my nails are short and black once more. (They're always black but annoyingly, the length grows of their own free will. Something needs inventing to fix that.)

So, we're halfway into February already. Happy Valentines Day for those that care. And for anyone not in High School, I hope you have an enjoyable and productive Monday.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment