Monday 21 February 2022

Banned Books and Windy Eunice...

A gif of Groundskeeper Willie from The Simpsons is dancing in a street, swinging around a lamp post, as it rains.
It's one way to handle the rain.
It's been a wet and windy few days in the UK so I hope this post finds you safe and well. We've also found a new hero for our times - Jerry, from Big Jet TV. If you caught his live stream on Friday, you'll have seen him at Heathrow, commentating on any plane that landed. Be like Jerry. Find joy and thrills in the smallest or most random of things. Or, if that's a stretch, perhaps try to channel the cool, calm heads of the pilots that were filmed touching down. As Rudyard Kipling almost said, 'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs... you'll be a grown up, my child.'* 
 
A gif of a girl carrying a stack of books.
I will read everything
Leeza reads.
Writing News
In the film The Jane Austen Book Club, the character of Grigg hosts the meeting where Northanger Abbey is to be discussed. And he really goes to town. When the group arrive, his  apartment is decorated with spooky cobwebs, dry ice, and flying bats, giving off a haunted house vibe. This is because, he tells Sylvia, 'I got inspired reading The Mysteries of Udolpho. You know the book in Northanger Abbey that Catherine's obsessed with reading?' Allegra, gobsmacked, says, 'Wait, that book they were were reading in the book? That's a real book?' and much merriment ensures. Except then they hear that Prudie's Mum's died so the evening takes a more muted turn. 

Look, I've digressed considerably. Why am I telling you this? Well, in the part of Leeza McAuliffe Book 2 (working title) I'm currently writing, Leeza is reading The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. She's at the age where her understanding of historical events is kicking in, along with the development of her sense of empathy and social justice. Plus a quick Google search tells me it's a standard text for her age group. So, just like Grigg and The Mysteries of Udolpho, I am now reading the book from the book. I'm reading Anne Frank's diary. (For the first time. I know! I've been to the Frank house in Amsterdam and still not read the book. I'm ridiculous.)  

Culture
On a related theme, the graphic novel, Maus by Art Spiegelman - about his father's experiences as a Holocaust survivor - has been banned by a school board in Tennessee. Banning books is always dodge but this news simply made me reread it. I'd studied Maus and Maus II at university and remember passing them onto my then eleven year old brother who was interested in history but not enough to want dry text books. Being reminded of how good Maus is, has been the upside of a disturbing censorship story. Happily, since news of the ban broke, sales have gone through the roof, and here I am talking about it online. If you've not yet discovered Maus, it's definitely worth a look. 

A picture of Tesco's Plant Chef product, 'No Chicken Roast With Gravy'.
More details here, for
those so inclined.
Food and Drink
I'm still on the look out for a decent veggie approximation of a pork pie. I also cooked roast 'chicken' for my parents and a brother yesterday. It looked horrific in its raw state but when browned and baked, gave off a far more realistic vibe. And it tasted fine. Especially covered in a lake of gravy and served with top notch roasties. Also, last Thursday I cooked home made pizza for the first time in ages. Topping? Why it was rocket, goat's cheese, walnuts and honey. Thanks for asking!

Trust your gut, Linnet!
Out and About
I tweeted this on Tuesday, but it always makes me laugh how I only get pissed mid-week when I'm catching up with my teacher mates at half term. I spent a happy Tuesday evening with pub tea, a bottle of wine, and putting the world to rights. I also managed to fit in a cinema trip for Death on the Nile.  Not once but TWICE. Kenneth Branagh's endeavours will always have my unwavering support. (Except Thor. It's not for me. Soz.)

And so we cross our fingers for calm weather and a marvellous week. Hope it's all fun and games wherever you are, whatever you're doing, whomever you're doing it with.

Have a lovely week, folks.

*Natch, I've gender-neutralised that mashed quote from If. It makes it relatable to everyone, not just men, and it removes the implied sexism that women/non binary people can't be all the positive, competent, things the poem says. Just doing my bit to even things out. As per. 

No comments:

Post a Comment