Monday 8 November 2021

Nailed-on Desktop to Bannister Situation...

This is not quite the
 vibe I'm aiming for.
Welcome. I assume you've come for another Rambling update. Either that or Google's taken a turn you weren't expecting. Worry not! Click this link, buy my book, and then everything will make sense with the world. But back to business. We've arrived at that time of year again. Yes, the time of year when for reasons beyond my understanding, I've a sudden urge to refurb my home. Last October, the spare room got titivated beyond its wildest dreams, all based on a teal paint whim. This time, it's the turn of my 'office space'. Not a complete office as there's no walls or door, but is instead an area of the landing that my home's previous owners felt required a nailed-on desktop to bannister situation. This week I will be crowbarring off that desk top and replacing it with some lovely reclaimed wood on legs. 
Plus a new chair. It's all go here. Meanwhile, in other news...

I've got a semi-promotion on,
right here.
Writing News
I'm not going to lie, it's gone a bit quiet on the writing front. I suppose revamping the office space technically counts, as I'll be writing Book 4 from there. I'm still semi-promoting Assembling the Wingpeople, although once the publication week has passed, it's Old News. I know. Depressing, innit. But with Christmas on the horizon, I won't be starting anything new until January. That gives me time to sort the office as well as eat all the roast potatoes and cranberry sauce in the land. It's good to have goals.

The French Dispatch -
It's SOOO Wes Andersonny.
Culture
Fans of Wes Anderson will have already seen The French Dispatch by now. Non-fans won't have done, nor would they enjoy it if they did. That's my review and I'm sticking to it. (I liked it. I'm a long time fan, although nothing beats Moonrise Kingdom for me.) Beyond the cinema, I've been loving the start of the week's TV. Succession on Monday nights - which I've talked about at length before - and then Tuesday night on BBC2 when the latest series of American Crime Story airs. Remember the one they did about OJ Simpson's trial? This time it's Monica Lewinsky and the events of the nineties that made her a global name. The series is delicious. The casting, costumes, and attention to detail when recreating recent history, are all exquisite. It's also refreshing. It doesn't seek to judge or vilify the twenty-something intern that became famous for - at worst - being naive. It feels like a much fairer portrayal. One that the media of the time did not give her. The fact Lewinsky is a producer on the show should quell any fears it may sensationalise events or be voyeuristic. All in all, it's great, and takes you right back to the nineties. It's a hard recommend from me.

Food and Drink
Well now, where to begin. I've been trying to merge my recent non-meat consumption with the fact this weather demands stews and casseroles. Anything slow-cooked with gravy, basically. I've gone down the root veg route, which was fine but definitely lacked something. I've also tried the fake meat version, which was perfectly pleasant but still not amazing. I guess it's all an experiment. I want something that will pack the punch of six-hour cooked beef, but made from lentils, veg, and pulses. So yeah, this one might be beyond me. The good news is, however, I've realised that even when your meatless stew is missing some beefy depth, there's nothing nicer than baking cheese scones on top and letting them soak into the veggie gravy before serving. 

As the prophets foresaw...
Out and About
Staff shortages in the business where I'm usually a silent partner, mean I've been less silent this week. That's right, I've been delivering! It's always a lark trying to deliver a package to a house on the road Paul McCartney grew up. I battled through a coach load of tourists in a bid to unite a customer with their order. After a few days of that, I was knackered. I couldn't face being out and about any more so I spent the rest of the week slobbing on the couch. (When I wasn't on the landing being an office planner extraordinaire, that is.) I can also confirm, from my deliveries around South Liverpool, that I've seen one Christmas tree, and two fairy-lit window displays. Like the ancient legend says, 'holidays are coming, holidays are coming...'

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment