Monday 11 October 2021

Book-Release Beans and the Glow of Achievement...

Hello, You. Welcome to new look Nicky Bond and Writer's Ramblings. We're getting structured around here. A bit more succinct. If, however, you enjoyed the old skool, ranty-ravy, long form Rambles, never fear. I'll do that once a month. Give or take. That way I give myself a few weeks to decide what's important to say, rather than scrabbling around for any old topic. Is that cool? Yeah? Marvellous. Let's crack on with the brand new format. TBH, it's still rambling and waffly, but with subheadings. Fun!

Writing News
Stop Press: Assembling the Wingpeople is here! Yes, it's breaking news, even though I've been banging this particular drum for months. Last Thursday, my latest labour of love was published. It's out and about in the world, finding its way, and being embraced by kind people everywhere. (Check out some early reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.)* The book tour is ongoing (online, natch. I'm not leaving my sofa) and the schedule is shown below. (Or follow @Lovebookstours on social media to see reviews this week.)

To say I'm happy is an understatement. Chuffed, proud, spent, weary, totes emosh, and utterly grateful to anyone with a copy. Not quite a standard week in the old Writing News department, but something to keep me buoyed up when there's not so much going on. 

Meanwhile I've been reading Three Women by Lisa Taddeo. This counts as Writing News too, because you can't write if you don't read. It's beautifully written and painfully recognisable. I also reread Patricia Lockwood's No One is Talking About This. It's recently been shortlisted for 2021's Booker Prize and Women's Prize for Fiction but was given to me back in March by my brother. Clearly he was on to something. It's very good and unlike anything I've read before. Both books are worth your time if you're looking for a new read. (Of COURSE that would be after you've finished Assembling the Wingpeople. I KNOW you'll be prioritising that one on your reading list.)

Culture
This part owes its title to the Culture section of the Sunday Times; a weekend paper of my childhood. That included ballet and opera but I mainly used it for the TV listings. That'll be more the vibe here - TV, film, maybe even the odd bit of music. If I ever do find myself at the opera or checking out the latest Bolshoi, then I'll be sure to let you know. Back on Planet Earth, let's look at some of the other cultural highlights of the week.

Mornin' to YOU, Roy.
In anticipation of its new season dropping on 18th October, I've been rewatching Succession. A Murdoch-esque media family with notes of King Lear; every character simultaneously compelling and abhorrent. I love it. Meanwhile, The West Wing continues to bubble away during my spare evenings. I'm still on series three, but nearing its end. Then, Ted Lasso's 2nd series finished last week.  The nuance and empathy it's brought to the depiction of mental health has been sublime. All wrapped up in a comedy about footie. I loved it hard and have been bereft since it finished. (That Roy Kent gif will be in tatters by the time season three comes along.) 

In terms of podcasts, last week's Off Menu featuring Jeff Rosenstock made me laugh a lot. And as I've been full of book-release beans and the glow of achievement, I've been listening to Keane's Hopes and Fears and The Killers', Hot Fuss from 2004. Nothing like a retro singalong when you're cooking tea to keep your mood raised a few notches. 


Food and Drink
In previous years, I've been out for lunch on my books' publication days. This time I was waiting in for a boiler. I know. It takes the absolute piss. Still, I had to celebrate somehow so I scoured the Internet for something suitable. Enter stage left, Nigella's Parmesan Shortbread. Now, of course I tweaked it to frig. Following a recipe's not really my thing. I replaced the flour with whizzed up walnuts and I ditched the butter,(because who needs that when you've added a load of nuts that have butter built-in?) Once they were baked and semi-cool, I served them with goat's cheese and plum chutney, and - of course - champagne. No, not a single one of my five-a-day got a look-in but it lessened the underwhelming nature of Boiler Delivery Day, and restored factory settings back to Book Publication Day. Hurrah. Less pretention will feature in next week's food choices, I promise.

Out and About
More non-standard shenanigans to report. Saturday night saw me ensconced within the glamour of a Midlands' Premier Inn. The decadence! It was to celebrate my niece's 2nd birthday with a family get together. Top bantz! Yes, this week I got out of the house for more than the food shop. Proper exciting and ev. Expect far less gadding about in the future. 

So there we go. Have we coped with the new format? I do hope so. If not, feel free to scroll back through the two hundred and sixty-five previous Rambles. There's bound to be something in the back-catalogue to suit your tastes.

Have a lovely week, folks.

*If you got your skates on and have read it since Thursday, please, please, please consider reviewing it on Amazon. I would be so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment