Monday 9 December 2019

What Would - insert name here - Do?...

What would Jesus do? No really, what would he do? Heal the sick, feed the starving, do sleight of hand card tricks for his pals? It's the question that believing sorts ask themselves, in order to keep close the reminder that Jesus is emulatable and inspirational. Fair play to them, and to him. Crack on, if that's your way of navigating the world.

Leo McGarry played by John Spencer. 
In the West Wing, after the almighty Leo McGarry leaves the role of Chief of Staff, and then dies soon after, his successor is given a Post-It note with WWLD? written on it. What Would Leo Do? Not die presumably. And then he'd make excellent judgement calls in all the tricky political situations that followed. It's a reminder to keep a hero or mentor's presence close by, when they're not there in person and life has to be lived by your own wits.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of either version of the phrase. It plays into the idea of having heroes and leaving your behaviour choices to other people. Of seeing exceptional behaviour in others and copying that, instead of forging your own way. I don't like that. It's not my preferred way to be. I'm too busy making my own mistakes and glorying in my own triumphs to consider what other people might instruct me to do via their example, no matter how wise or son of God-ish they are. Being inspired by others is marvellous. Copying their actions, or deliberately channeling them into my own behaviour feels a bit awkward to me.

And yet here we are. Late in the day, I've got a hero I want to channel. Senator Kamala Harris, of the US Democratic Party fame has been downright inspirational to me for the past year or so now. The news of her pulling out of the nominee race last week was a kick in the guts. I'm guessing it was worse for her though. An accomplished, vastly qualified, and charismatic woman, it's balks more than a tad that the people left in the race have more money and (imho) less admirable qualities and experience than she has.

Not being US-based in the slightest, I've no idea whether reports of her lack of media coverage are true or not. She came to my attention during the Brett Kavanagh confirmation hearings. Back then, the evident empathy and respect for Dr. Christine Blasey Ford when she shared her testimony was in stark contrast to the razor sharp precision with which she highlighted the soon-to-be Supreme Court Judge's weak story and denials hours later. When she announced she was running for Democratic nominee, I was thrilled. Since then, her relatability and ease with people has shone through. There are videos of her dancing, clips of her chatting happily to children, and then there are films where she explains in clear, practical terms how she will tackle big issues. Gun control is the one linked here. I don't get that invested in US politics beyond the headlines, but she was one to watch. The fact she is no longer running for President (this time) does not change that. She is still one to watch. Whether she returns to her role as California Senator in the long term, whether she ends up - as some would like in time - as the Attorney General, whether she's instrumental in the impeachment hearings, or whether she runs for again President in another four years, I think she's marvellous. What Would Kamala Do? I'm not sure and I still don't want to directly copy anyone else's life. But whatever she does, she shows wit, intelligence, and courage. I can definitely channel that when I want to pretend I am impressive.

In hindsight, there
are plenty of times I could
do with some guidance.
#avocadonotsnot
It's easy to be impressed by someone from a distance, though. I've been able to follow Kamala Harris' campaign through reports of her public meetings and the stan accounts of her fans. My Twitter timeline is filled with her best bits, and so it's been no big leap to award her the role of Nicky's Top Inspirer whilst being far away. I can't vote for her and I couldn't donate to her campaign. Maybe I need that distance, in order to get over my hangups about collecting external heroes. Maybe it would be impossible for me to have a UK-based local hero that shows me how to behave in any situation in which I feel less than confident. 

Or so I thought. Look, I've always got the Jess Phillips' and the Stella Creasys (the latter managing to fit giving birth into the middle of her election campaign in Walthamstow!) for an everyday reminder to stand up for my beliefs and do my bit. But sometimes I need more than that. And so cue Bessie, my six year old niece. In the past weeks, I've been sent videos of her street dancing in a variety of local concerts. The phrase 'tackles with gusto' feels more than apt. The second the music starts, she is 100% committed. Every move is delivered large. I particularly like how she is unbothered by the location of the children next to her. She is firmly in the zone, more than filling her space, and smiling her head off. 

That is the hero we all need. Fill your space, commit to what you do, and smile as you crack on with all the enthusiasm in the world. What would my six year-old niece do? That's the Post-It note that works for me.

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment