Monday 22 April 2019

Leeza in the Making...

Over the past month, I've been emailed, Whatsapped, and verbally anecdoted by people in my life and beyond, who are enjoying Leeza McAuliffe Has Something To Say. The book has been out for six weeks yet feels like it's always been in the world. To me, anyway. It's been eighteen months since the first draft was completed, and even longer that the ideas that informed it, have been festering. 

For those that care about such things, I trawled back through these blog posts. I wanted to see when I'd started to mention Leeza McAuliffe. It seems it's as far back as May 2017, even though there was no name back then. 

In the spirit of a TV episode that's cobbled together from the best bits of the previous series, I thought I'd dig out a few past posts, to see how far we've all come on the Leeza journey. It was interesting to me, even if everyone else feels cheated and disappointed at the blatant cop out. Soz like. It's the Easter Bank Holiday. I can't be expected to be at full whack every week. If it was good enough for Friends, it's good enough for me.


That Tricky Second Album
The first mention, including photos of the planning file.

To Research or Not Research 
Includes photos of a real life location I pictured for Applemere Bridge.
Calling All Stattos
I talk word counts, do a bit of research from similar books to the one I'm writing, and generally stress that I'm winging it all as usual.
Comma Comma Comma Comma Comma Chameleon
This one is all about editing, my obsession with commas, and then the reason I overuse them in the first place. Contains Victoria Wood.
Back to School for Bond
World Book Day 2018. I share the planning process of the book with Y5 and 6.
An Elevator in a Skyscraper Works Best
First mention of the blurb. 
Climb Every Writing Mountain
I panic here about accidentally ripping off one of my idols, before realising it's alright. We've just been exposed to the same chaotic upbringing.
Consider This a Naming Ceremony
Why did I call the book what I called it? More here.
The Universal Mysteries of Being Ten
Ten year olds are ten year olds, aren't they? How things have changed from 1988 to now.
Leeza McAuliffe Has Arrived
The moment I had an orderable entity online. I was a bit excited. (I definitely used up my ration of exclamation marks on this one.)
World Book Day and Leeza, Together as One
Publication day, and all it entailed 
So there we have it. If you've made it to this point and read every old post, I'm afraid there's no certificate or gold medal. Instead, possibly get out more, breath fresh air, and find a hobby. Yeah? However, it's a nice way to show a snapshot of the overall process in making a book. From the initial ideas to the wanging on about it to the public. It's been quite the journey. Well done all of us.

Have a lovely week, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment