Monday 11 March 2019

World Book Day and Leeza, Together As One...

I'm not going to lie. That was an exhaustingly amazing week.

When I planned the publication date of Leeza McAuliffe Has Something To Say, there were a couple of factors to consider. The pre-Christmas window had just ended. I decided to give January a swerve - no one likes spending money in January - and focused on a Spring release date. I also avoided family birthdays or booked holidays. I read somewhere that books come out on a Thursday, so the 7th March 2019 seemed as good a fit as any. My pre-teen, coming-of-age story, was ready to greet the world.


I got an app that makes photo
collages. Marvel at my skillz.
It was quite the surprise when someone* pointed out that 7th March 2019 was World Book Day. I mean, what are the odds! I did NOT know this when I chose it. Honestly. I'd love to take the credit for such a perfectly chosen publication date, but it was just a coincidence. I promise.

Fast forward to last week, and three exciting things happened. 

2. I visited Thatto Heath Community Primary School during their book week celebrations, to talk about my novel.
3. I attended my brother's stag weekend.

The school visit came first. I'd had a few younger readers give me feedback along the way, but to have an entire Upper Juniors listening to me read the opening pages, was nerve wracking. I have forgotten ALL my teaching skills. Literally every single one. It was quite the thing to stand in front of a hall full of children and hope that they listened to me. But they did! I read the opening pages of Leeza McAuliffe, and no one fell asleep! No one told me to shush! No one looked like I was forcing them to endure a terrible experience! My day was made.

In fact, the questions that came out of the Q and A sessions were brilliant. I was truly grilled. When did you start writing? What authors have inspired you? Do you use a laptop or pen and paper?** These were great questions that I could answer reasonably well. Then there were questions that took a few seconds to consider. Have you ever thought about writing a prequel to the story? What's your financial situation? Which of the characters would you want as your best friend?*** I hope I answered everything as honestly and clearly as it was asked of me. It was such a lovely morning. 

A couple of days later and Leeza McAuliffe officially arrived. By officially arrived, I mean she was now being printed and sent out to anyone that had pre-ordered her. (Is it really annoying to refer to a book as 'her'? Asking for a friend. Although I'm clearly not. I'm asking for me.)

FEEL THE BUZZ
Publication Day was the same as any other working Thursday. More or less. I spent the majority of it online, deleting the 'pre' from 'pre-order' on any site I'd advertised. I also tweeted a lot, responded to messages, and encouraged anyone who felt inclined, to leave a review on Amazon (or wherever they bought their copy from.) The only difference from a normal working day, was that I toasted myself with Prosecco as I worked. (Who do I think I am? Alexis Carrington?) It was a throughly enjoyable day, where amidst all the admin, I felt proud, and accomplished, and special. 

The next day, when it was time for the stag weekend, I was torn between wanting to reply to every lovely message and comment that came my way, and celebrating my brother's impending marriage. In the end I sacked off the book stuff and ignored my laptop until today. Also  it was the best fun and I didn't want to experience a drop of FOMO. That would have been unbearable. (But if you've messaged me over the weekend, I'm on it now.)


Absolute scenes on Thursday.
For so many months, writing happens quietly. The regular 'How was your day?' question gets answered with a grunt and the response of 'Just been writing', more times than not. I don't really share the details. It can be fairly dull to hear that five hours of the day were spent rewriting two paragraphs that 'aren't quite there yet'. But on days like Publication Thursday, or being invited into schools, it all feels thoroughly thrilling. The previous months (or years) make sense. It was all building up to this point - the point where it's clear (to myself as much as anyone) that I was spending my time fruitfully. Like I said, I felt proud, and accomplished, and special.

I'll mention Leeza a bit more over the next few weeks, before it's time to move on. If you've ordered it, thank you so much. I hope it's a enjoyable read for you or your kids. And if it is, please feel free to tell everyone you know. Also, a big thank you for the retweets, shares, likes, and future reviews that you may feel inclined to write. (Please do. Even it's just a line.) I'm so grateful for your help in spreading the word, and nudging those algorithms. Every little helps!

Have a lovely week, folks.

*My brother Dom. He always likes a name check.

**When I was in primary school/ Judy Blume/ a pen for planning and a laptop for writing.

***I hadn't thought of writing a prequel UNTIL NOW/ my finances aren't as good as when I was a full-time teacher/ Jenna, or all of them, or Jenna.


No comments:

Post a Comment