Monday 11 February 2019

We All Need a Recharge Once in a While...

I had a stinker this week. 
I decided to be proactive about the fact my laptop battery lasts seven and a half minutes without being plugged in. I decided to stop being a victim. I decided to go and grapple that Apple-bull by it's sweet-charging horns and do something about my lack of technological oomph.


Diagnosis: crap battery
Of course, I didn't think it through. When I booked the online appointment with the Genius Bar last week, I didn't stop to think that it might affect my ability to write this blog on time. I naively chose Thursday to drop into town. The fact I write the blog every Friday hadn't entered my head. When it occurred to me that they might not sort my battery out on the spot, I panicked. I started to pre-emptively write these very words a few hours before the appointment. That way, if they chose to keep hold of my laptop, or take it apart and break it accidentally, I'd have this saved. I could hopefully work out a way of publishing it on Monday morning via my phone. Or something. 


It's an empty calendar
of possibility. Larks.
So there we go. That's where we are. As you're reading this, it means one of two things have happened. Either my laptop is being tended to by millennial genii, my foresight has paid off, I've managed to work out the Blogger App on my phone, and you're missing out on the pearls of wisdom I would have come up with, if I'd had the luxury of my usual routine. It means that instead of spending Friday morning, afternoon, and intermittent bits of the weekend writing, tweaking and titivating a wordy post, I'm gadding about the land with free time to my name, feeling the wind in my hair for the first time in ages. That's the first thing it could mean. Alternatively, it could mean that even though my laptop was fixed within an hour and I was sent speedily home with full power restored, I've decided that these brief words will do and I'm taking advantage of an empty Friday. It's gone one way or the other. Who knows at this point which way. But whichever direction the Apple-Gods directed me, this is as good as it gets. I'm checking out a day early. (Last) Friday is mine for the living. 

So, as we all wish my bruised and battered laptop battery a safe journey to a better place, and we get ready to welcome her replacement with open arms, let's enjoy whatever unexpected free time we scrape together. We all need it once in a while. Our metaphorical batteries need a reboot. (I'm mixing metaphors but I don't have the techy knowledge to fully grasp how.)  May that reboot/recharge/whatever be equal parts raucous, rejuvenating, and relaxing. Bon chance and bon voyage, everyone. 

Have a lovely week, folks.



No comments:

Post a Comment