Monday 30 January 2017

Word, Word, where for art thou, Word?


Today my stress levels have been ALL OVER THE PLACE and I’ve barely looked at Twitter to see the latest horrors in the world.  (At the time of writing, it was just the initial reports of May and Trump's meeting.  Far more innocent times.)  No, today just as every day this week, I have been fighting a battle of wills with my laptop. 

I say laptop, but that's not strictly accurate.  In reality, I've been at war with Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, PDFs in general and many online trouble-shooting pages that do not include my specific trouble to shoot.  Also, the jargon! Arghhhh.

I nearly lost it earlier when on top of my file conversion headaches, I appeared to disable every Word document I ever had.  Nothing would open, including the manuscript of the bloody book I am trying to convert.   I involuntarily whimpered, and did some deep breathing.  Then I contemplated the reality of typing the whole thing out again on a different computer. Then I screamed for a bit.  Then I considered walking to the pub and drinking a lot.  Then I turned the laptop off and on again.  Word came back.  

So as my breathing returns to a state of normality, I think I have a bit of a clue about where I have been going wrong, and I have a list of things to try for next time I can face it.  For now, I am moving away from all this unfathomable stuff, and finishing for the weekend.  (It is Friday afternoon!  Remember, that lovely time from few days ago?  Before a million people signed a petition, and prior to nationwide protests being organised to remind the Government about primary school basics such as standing up to bullies and being nice to other people.  It's been quite the weekend.) 

But let’s end on a high note.  Food and its preparation instantly chills me out so let’s go there.

Tonight, Matthew, I will be eating Middle Eastern Lamb Nachos from John Whaite’s Perfect Plates in 5 Ingredients book.  It is soooo good.  So good I added additional Os.  And if you are a slave to a Syns/Points based weight loss system, Weight Watchers’ Greek Style Salad Cheese is unbelievably low fat compared to its Feta counterpart.  I realise I am talking to a niche audience here, but I do like to inform where I can.

4 WW Smart Points in a whole block. I KNOW.
John Whaite's version.
Whether you use fake Feta or the real deal, this meal is fit as.   I will always be faithful to Nigella as my go-to kitchen guru, but within a year, Perfect Plates has become the most food-splattered book in my kitchen.  (This is a good thing.)


Here's one I made earlier.
Bond version with added Peroni
.
    Food-splattered books en masse.
   With added Zumba sticks and Forrest Gump merch
.

I can't find an official recipe online, but if you shred some toasted bread/pitta over a plate, then add sumac-seasoned lamb mince, crumbled feta, and pomegranate seeds, you're pretty much there.

Happy Monday, one and all.  Power to the people, and booooo to my laptop.    

No comments:

Post a Comment