Monday 24 June 2024

Beyond the Village...

A teen me, brunette with a perm, wearing a baggy white shirt and blue jeans, is sitting on a bed infront of closed orange curtains. The duvet cover is white with colourful spots, and I am posing for the camera. There are posters of bands on my wall.
Me, in my teen bedroom,
approx one mile from
my current home.
I currently live in the same area I spent most of my childhood. I've resided in a couple of other locations as an adult, but for fifteen years I've been back in the bosom of the village of my youth. And that's fine. Because of this, my gaff has become the unofficial family base since my parents absconded to Wales. That's also fine. Coming home for Christmas isn't something I've experienced since my student days anyway, and I quite like decorating my home for the festive season knowing people will see it. I moan (in jest!) about festive duties, but hosting family events or putting up my siblings when they come back to see old friends, is a privilege. I mean, spare rooms in this economy? I'm very lucky. 

Four people, two men and two women (one of them me at the front) siting around a beer garden table. There glasses of wine and beers, and small plates of food. Everyone is smiling with sunglasses on our heads, happily posing for the photo.
Friends and family
not in my village
But the really cool part to all of this, is how my siblings have dispersed. Whether they settled in their Uni towns, moved for work, or live near their partner's family, I have a whole host of towns and cities that I get to visit. I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in London. I'm in a part that's close to where a friend of mine lives. Through visiting her over the years I've got to know this particular area well. Recently my brother moved down here, to another chunk of the city. I'm seeing him tomorrow so I get to learn about another place I've never visited. My parents have lived in their Welsh coastal pad for ten years. I now know that place reasonably well. I've got my favourite restaurant, my favourite place to get a cup of tea, and my favourite scenic route to get from the A55 to their flat. Imagine not knowing anyone who lives somewhere else? It would drive me bonkers. And yet, four years ago, weren't we all stuck in our homes? On our roads? In our villages? With only the people and places that we could see from our front doors? My nephew, born in the height of lockdown, turned four last week. That was my reminder to be grateful for now. Getting on a train? Staying in a hotel? Being somewhere else with other people? It's all so marvellous. 

Writing News
I'm trying to take time off. I decided that after the buzz of Leeza McAuliffe calmed down, I'd do nothing throughout June. That's not really panned out. I'm still writing blogs, and still looking at reviews, and still filling my head with Bookthreads and BookTok and Bookstagram. I don't think I ever truly switch off unless I'm on an actual holiday. Anyhoo. I'm recharging the battery, rewilding the landscape, replenishing the juices, and renourishing the soul. And yes, I know in that sentence, three examples would be optimum, but I just couldn't choose. All the metaphors are happening.

An animated character, long, thin, lethargically draped over a sofa, casually scrolling on their phone, is saying, 'You care too much about things.'
The new character, Ennui!
Culture
Inside Out 2 is brilliant. But you knew it would be, didn't you? Combining my favourite topics of psychology, sense of self, adolescence, and inventive storytelling, it tells the story of Riley through the varying emotions she carries inside. Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, and Disgust from the first film are now joined by Anxiety, Envy, Ennui, and Embarrassment. Complex emotional and psychological processes are depicted so simply, it's astonishing. Despite being a so-called kids' film, it's perfect for adults. You can never have too much emotionally literacy, am I right?

Through a series of recent events, I've been eating a lot of sandwiches. For Father's Day, I did a riff on an afternoon tea. (The riff was... no tiered platters!) That meant I was eating leftovers for days. And since my arrival at my Premier Inn, I've been mostly eating from the late night Tesco next door. You can't beat a post-pub egg butty. But all this means I'm excited about making my own meals again. Whilst I'm technically not Scandinavian nor have any reason to be celebrating Midsummer, I do like Scandi food. This picture, whilst being aesthetically pleasing, is getting me excited about summer meals. Tinned fish, rye bread, jammy eggs, and cucumber salad. Doesn't it look boss? I'm making my shopping list as we speak.

Out and About
Well London, obviously. Duh! By the time you read this, I'll have been to my brother's new gaff, I'll have met up with my mate from home, and I'll have seen another mate from Uni. Let's say it again... how marvellous to be able to move, visit, travel and connect, in places other than where you live. More please!

Have a lovely week, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment