Monday 8 April 2024

Soz to the Envelope Buyers of Speke...

Marilyn Monroe at an awards ceremony. SHe's at the podium in a posh, black, off the shoulder dress, and the caption says, 'The envelope please.' Then someone off the camera, hands her an envelope.
Me, repeatedly, in WH Smiths.
I
f, last week, you'd been on the search for a medium sized Jiffy bag in Speke WH Smiths, I'm sorry to say you'd have had a wasted trip. Damn book tours! I cleared the shelves of all their mid-sized padded envelopes on Thursday as I prepared to send out copies of the new book to the reviewers who had signed up. 

I quite like having to complete a list of admin tasks. As well as emptying envelope shelves, I spent the weekend filling out address labels and writing thank you notes. It's nice to have a clear list that can be decisively ticked off. Sometimes my To Do list says things like 'beef up the end of Chapter 2' or 'fix what's wrong with the opening paragraph.' These are far less tangible than addressing envelopes and visiting the post office. I'm not sure 'admin' as a job in itself would work for me forever. I mean, that's what teaching was in the end. No, I like that lots of the time, I have to use my creative brain. But as a change, every so often, the clarity of a completable task is lovely.

An image from Love Books Tours that has the front cover of Leeza McAuliffe Has Loads More To Say in the centre, and then has all the handles of book reviewers around the sides.
Writing News
Well it's all systems go for the Love Books Tours book tour. It starts in May and I imagine I'll be sharing all about it online when the time comes. Other than that, and the admin involved, it's been a quiet week. I'm still promoting myself where I can, uploading info about the new book on the sites that require it, and banging on about Leeza McAuliffe to anyone that asks. Standard. 

A partially done jigsaw. The sides are all in place, and some of the left hand side of the picture is done too. In the centre, is the picture that is being completed. It's a street map of Liverpool City Centre.
Proper solid
Culture News
I'm sure I've asked this question before, but can jigsaws be classed as culture? If so, I was riddled with culture last week. I got a map of Liverpool jigsaw for my birthday (thanks Dom, and happy birthday for today!) It's proper solid. The map's like an A-Z... properly detailed with every street shown, covering the centre of town, with the corners reaching out to Kirkdale, West Derby, Childwall, and the edge of Birkenhead. I like normal jigsaws but I LOVE map jigsaws. WITH ALL MY HEART. They're so satisfying. Being able to use previously held geographical knowledge whilst learning more about a place, is fab. And there's something about poring over the pieces of a map that really clears my mind. Some people relax with whale music or a massage. I choose a crick in my neck and the close up street plan of Old Swan. It takes all sorts! In more standard Culture News, I watched Anatomy of a Fall over the weekend and thought it was exceptional. 

A garden table with chairs either side of it. On the table is a bottle of wine in a makeshift icebucket (a pyrex jug with ice cubes) a platter of bread sticks, a bowl of green dip (pesto) and a glass of wine.
A full on meal
Food and Drink
The plan was to have a small aperitif/amuse bouche/pre-starter of grissini and pesto before the main Saturday night food. The trouble was, I got carried away whilst rolling out the breadsticks and made about a hundred and fifty. Cue later that evening - I hoovered up a substantial amount of pre-meal food and didn't feel like the actual meal that was cooking. No matter! It got pushed to the next day and my lovely evening of salty, cheesy bread sticks with lemony, basily pesto was fab. Recipes for the grissini and the pesto via the links.

Out and About
I caught up with a teacher mate, I had a mani, and I attended my usual Wednesday brunch. Thursday Costa got ditched due to traffic and period pain, but I walked to the pub on Friday night. A mixed bag of a week, as usual.

Hey there regular readers *sidles up and behaves weirdly.* I'm sure you're doing this already, but if you wanted to be absolute loves, could you tell everyone you know about Leeza McAuliffe? OK, maybe not everyone. Only those who might enjoy it. Those who might be on the lookout for an absorbing, gripping, funny, poignant, nostalgia-riddled story about being young and working out the world as its presented to you. Only those people, yeah? Thanks so much! Word of mouth is just as effective as me banging on about it online, so every little would definitely help. Thank you SO much in advance. Now, whatever you do...

...have a lovely week, folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment