Monday 29 January 2024

Let's Be Spicy...

For reasons I've yet to unpack, last week I had huge nesting energy. Not one for spring cleaning or, to be fair, keeping on top of my laundry, you can imagine my bewilderment to find myself sorting out my spice shelf. To be even fairer, it was long overdue. There was a myriad of jars past their sell by. 

A jar of saffron. It's small, like the rows of spice jars i the supermarket. It's also stained with brown marks and the label is faded.
I've no problem with this. Unless it's starting to smell or mould, the date's just a guide, right? Using star anise that was supposed to be gone by 2021 is no issue at all. The rare occasion I use star anise (and you can insert nigella seeds, Thai seven spice, or za'atar, if you prefer) means there's no need for a new jar every time. But saffron from 2014 might be a record. And even though I binned some old jars and put everything back neatly, the saffron remains. I'm treating it like the survivor it is. It gets special status. That saffron has seen it all. Cumins have come and gone. The turmeric is forever being replaced. The ground coriander barely moves in before it's all used up. Saffron is the mainstay of the neighbourhood. I think somewhere in all that, is a metaphor. The dignified journey of ageing? Biding time for your moment even when you know not the day it'll come? Brushing off the soy sauce spillage of three years ago and persevering? I need to give it more thought. Still, I've got a clearer spice shelf now. Happy days.

A man with a baseball cap on backwards, is typing on a keyboard. He's fast and frenzied. The caption reads, 'I'm almost done.'
Writing News
I met up with a writing friend in the week. It's always an interesting chat. He's in the middle of his first novel and I'm coming to the end of my fourth. In theory, I know more about the process than he does, and sometimes that's right. I remember being at the same stage and learning new things every day. But that doesn't make me feel proficient. Instead, I'm aware of how long-winded the indie-publishing process is. We're now two years from the month I started writing book four. It's honestly nearly over. Promise.
 
A gif from the promotion of Dear England at the National Theatre. The actor playing Jordan Pickford, the England goalkeeper, is in his kit, running in passionate celebration away from the goal. There are other actor in football kits in the background. They are all running and moving about energetically.
Culture
On Thursday night I watched the NT Live showing of Dear England. It's the James Graham play about the cultural change Gareth Southgate bought to the Men's England team with his appointment as manager. I loved it. It also reminded me loads of something I'd written at the end of the 2020 Euros. (Remember, the ones in 2021 because of COVID.) Look, I'm not saying James Graham was inspired to put pen to paper after reading my words, but we're clearly of a similar mind. If NT Live does a reshow, I'd definitely watch it again. 

Then, a day later, I was back in the cinema to see All Of Us Strangers. It's difficult do the film justice in a sentence or two. Gently and beautifully, it tells its story, never shying away from the pain and joy of human emotion. I watched it alone, which had upsides. I could let my thoughts fester afterwards - three days later, I'm still thinking about it. But a viewing partner would've been useful. I reckon everyone will interpret the film in a different way - there are no wrong answers. It's rich with meaning; there's all sorts of conclusions to draw. I want to know what everyone else thinks, and so far I'm the only person I know for real, to have seen it. Online, I've read some people make comments that the film is heartbreaking. And they're right, for them. Conversely, once I'd processed it all, I was uplifted and felt glad for the ending. That's correct, for me. Look, I only tend to reference stuff on here that I've enjoyed (there's no need to rubbish someone else's creative efforts online) but this film went further than mere enjoyment. It nourished me. Movies, eh. Who'd have thought?*

A haggis and mashed potato tower in a bowl, with carrots  and a cream and whiskey sauce surrounding it.
Apologies to Scotland
but it tasted great.
Food and Drink
Burns Night weekend saw me stomp all over  another culture by making a veggie haggis recipe I'd got from the Tesco website. I can only apologise to all concerned. It was lovely, though. And the Scottish smoked salmon starter was also fit. I'm still taking baby steps with whisky but I persevered. For Scotland!

A selfie. Me in a bobble hat, with a grey River Mersey in the background.
Me, the River Mersey,
and a very cold morning.
Out and About
Two cinema visits in one week is unusually busy for me. Then there was a very cold and blustery walk by the river, a shopping trip to the Trafford Centre, and my usual Wednesday brunch. It was a good week.

So, farewell January. You've been a decent enough month. Like the soy-spattered saffron on my spice shelf, let's walk tall into February, whether our moment is coming or not. 

Have a lovely week, folks.

*STOP PRESS: Hours after writing this blog, I hadn't scratched the itch. I needed to write more. If you've seen All Of Us Strangers and want a spoiler-riddled outpouring, here's what I blurted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment